Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

I can't contemplate ordering those after 6PM tbh despite that I really like them, the coffee would just keep me awake beyond when I want to sleep

tbh I only ordered it as the bar was closing at 3 and they literally said to me at 2:59  you can have one more whilst we start chucking everyone out and tidying up  ( we'd been there the weekend before after Pulp so they sorta recognised us ) 

so I thought I was being amusing and ordered some  :)  ... i expected her to tell me to piss off but she laughed and made them for us

Probably something for the things I don't get thread. But I don't get people who are that affected by caffeine.

Maybe it's having drunk tea from a very early age that's given me some sort of tolerance for it. But lying in bed awake because I had coffee too late is something I have quite literally never experienced.

That's not a brag by the way. I wish it did affect me more. When i was getting no sleep because my son wasn't sleeping through the night yet even a string espresso wouldn't perk me up as a result

• Like 4

I got absolutely shit faced at edgbaston a few weeks ago.  I'd managed to sneak 70cl of rum into the ground via a huge baguette I cut in half and put the bottle in.  My mates took in 70cl of gin each and we had a few beers too.  All the spirits had gone between 4 of us by the end of the day.

I didn't remember that England batted and got to 28-0 when I went back the next day.  

We somehow walked to a bar on 5 ways or something around there.. then got taxis home.  

I remember staggering out of the taxi and it was only about 8.30, so my neighbour was still gardening on the front lawn.  

Dunno what was said, but I remember really struggling trying to have a conversation with him, which ended up with us just standing there, staring at each other waiting to see what happened next.  I just threw my arms up in the air and staggered inside..  not seen him since 🤷🏼‍♂️

Anyhow.  My wife found it funny, and made me drink a cup of coffee before sending me to bed.

I had to get up 7.30 next day to get to the tally ho for breakfast.  

Felt absolutely fine.

Didn't drink the next day, but it wasn't because of a hangover, which I absolutely should have had.

It was a miracle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m inconsistent with hangovers. 

Recently did a joint birthday day/night out. That was a session, about 8 different pubs and bars, maybe 12-15 drinks, pints, bottles, shorts, a shot or two.

Woke up feeling kinda ok really. No sore head or anything, just a bit lethargic. Kinda weird, in all honesty.

Other times I’ll have three pints and I’ll wake up the next day and I’ll feel like I’ve been hanging out with Oliver Reed and Richard Harris.

some of the worst hangovers i've had are after 3-4 pints. weird when that happens isn't it...i've been on stag dos when i've felt right as rain in the morning despite drinking for 12+ hours straight the previous day

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Probably something for the things I don't get thread. But I don't get people who are that affected by caffeine.

Maybe it's having drunk tea from a very early age that's given me some sort of tolerance for it. But lying in bed awake because I had coffee too late is something I have quite literally never experienced.

That's not a brag by the way. I wish it did affect me more. When i was getting no sleep because my son wasn't sleeping through the night yet even a string espresso wouldn't perk me up as a result

I drink coffee all day and it has no effect on my sleep, even if I have one just before going to bed. A couple of espresso martinis though and it's like I've overdosed on speed. Weird.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ah, well, that used to be me. In fact, I'm pretty sure I posted on VT using much the same words, some years ago. But... as with many other things (KW), old age brings unfortunate changes. Where once I could sleep for England, I am now a chronic insomniac. And coffee has started to exacerbate the problem. Normally at home we avoid coffee after midday. I can always get off to sleep with no problem, but I tend to wake up at 3 or 4 o'clock. 

This week we're on a short break in the Lake District. We have a friend who lives here, and we went round for a meal the other night. After the food and wine, I accepted a cup of coffee. That night I don't think I slept at all, brain was buzzing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I used to have 3 or 4 cans of PepsiMax a day and usually one of them with my evening meal  .. I always struggled to get decent sleep 

Now i only drink it with rum on a night out and the occasional one or two at a BBQ etc .. I just drink water at work now 

I definitely sleep far better than I have done in years so I think caffeine definitely impacted me .. though that is probably as much about it being carbonated and a diuretic and making me get up for a wee 4 times in the night than the caffeine  !! 

Same here. I like coffee and drink it at work but don't find it has any obvious effect.

I didn't think caffeine had much of an effect on me, until we had a busy day a few weeks ago, rushed straight out, and by 10 I had an absolutely cracking headache. I'm usually 3 or 4 coffees in by then. It was a bit of a wake up call and I've been gradually dialling it back to a couple of cups a day

40 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

some of the worst hangovers i've had are after 3-4 pints. weird when that happens isn't it...i've been on stag dos when i've felt right as rain in the morning despite drinking for 12+ hours straight the previous day

I normally find after a lads weekend it's Tuesday that I crash and burn with some form of delayed hangover and sleep depravation 

If i go to the gym on the Monday after a lads weekend I run some of me best times on the treadmill  .. I  think your muscles are far more relaxed for some reason  , we used to get the same playing Sunday morning football , we were always far better if we'd had a skin full the night before than we were if we hadn't been out !!  maybe Tony Adams was onto something :) 

Same. Caffeine has no effect on me any more. Which sucks, as I really could use a hit to get going in the morning.

I once tried some pre-workout called "All Black Everything" and that's the only time I can really remember having a proper buzz from caffeine.

That was extreme though, it gave me an itchy rash and I was sweating heavily. Never touched it again

I remember once I went in a training course and there was free coffee, it must have been super strength stuff. I had about 6 or 7 during the day and I had these muscle twitches in my face for hours, I thought I was having a stroke.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I got absolutely shit faced at edgbaston a few weeks ago.  I'd managed to sneak 70cl of rum into the ground via a huge baguette I cut in half and put the bottle in.  

If Subway did that I would be interested in purchasing their products. With some melted cheese.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

My missus is exactly the same and to some extent I used to be too but now it really does affect me.

• Like 1

I'm largely unaffected by caffein in general day to day life I think - although I do need one first thing in the morning in order to human.

I once did a recruitment drive in St Andrews and we couldn't find a room to do interviews at a decent price. We made a deal with the local Starbucks for us to use a quiet-ish back room and did the interviews from there, on the basis that I'd be buying coffee - I was in there from 08:00 to about 18:30 - I drank about nine different things on their menu then drove back to Edinburgh airport feeling like I was bouncing off the walls, I dread to think how much caffeine was in me, but I paced around that airport with a sweat on and clenched fists for an hour then sat bolt upright on the plane back to Brum. I wouldn't recommend that.

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â