Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

13 hours ago, Xela said:

As a camper in 2022 they are shit. Great iconic design, agreed, and when launched in 1949 it would have been fantastic, but nowadays they are slow, unreliable, will overheat and tiny. Plus they're ridiculously overpriced. 

I owned one (in the 80s). It was slow, the heater was abysmal, it was not very economical. But it was totally reliable and didn't overheat. It was perfect for what it was - a cheap reliable, characterful camper van with an iconic design, and I love air-cooled engines and the simplicity of the air cooled VWs.

They are as you say monstrously over-priced these days, but they're an appreciating asset, too. Classic cars are. 

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion:

I don't see the point of having recent pictures of my family in my house. I'm talking portraits here, rather than pictures of us doing activities. 

I can just walk downstairs and look at the real thing. 

I have the pictures stored on a computer, and sure if they are older photos, maybe, but nothing from the last 5 years. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It's something that when I started dieting years ago and I cut it out I didn't miss it at all, eat it about every 6 weeks now purely for convenience, if you want that tomato sauce with the cheese melted on top then go pasta bake or do it on top of a chicken breast (unfortunately melted cheese on top of things is something I can't give up, top tier food) 

Anyone who orders pizza at a restaurant let alone domino's et al needs their head checking but then again I don't like Italian restaurants, £15 for pasta? Ain't happening, I never go to an Italian restaurant 

Thing is that Italian food is absolutely incredible, but it is almost invariably overpriced (or should I say priced?) and substandard outside of Italy.

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

Outside of London, Leeds is the best UK city.

As a born Brummie who has lived all his adult life in Leeds, I have to say it's decent. Apart from the football club. 

• Like 1

Due to the rail strikes have had to use the motorways more often in recent weeks.  A couple of things-

Why does one lorry always want to overtake another when they both can only go at 60mph?  This overtaking procedure usually takes a couple of miles to do whilst causing a build of traffic behind.

When a motorway is congested why do so many people switch lanes all of the time? The speed is virtually the same for each lane and just clogs everything up!

18 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Although they have their plus points, the bigger UK cities like Brum, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds are all much of a muchness.

Places like Oxford, and York are infinitely more interesting.

I’m fond of market towns. Years ago when I was in Northumberland, I visited both Newcastle and Hexham. 

Despite its comparative limitations, I find myself remembering more about Hexham.

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Why does one lorry always want to overtake another when they both can only go at 60mph?  This overtaking procedure usually takes a couple of miles to do whilst causing a build of traffic behind.

Different engine limiters have different tolerances, Truck drivers will use every advantage they can to make sure they get to their destination on time because they or their company may get fined if they are late.

27 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Due to the rail strikes have had to use the motorways more often in recent weeks.  A couple of things-

When a motorway is congested why do so many people switch lanes all of the time? The speed is virtually the same for each lane and just clogs everything up!

The A14 near me is horrendous for that. There are parts where the rocket polishers can take 5 miles or more to get past as they do 55.01 mph to the other lorry's 54.99 mph. Then when one has got past, it's not unusual for the one that has been overtaken to pull out and have his go at overtaking. I think they just to do it because they know it pisses people off.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

The lorry thing happens every day on the stretch of M42 I use, and it's only two lanes.

As for lane swappers, yep, every day when the M42 is rammed between jnc 6 and 4. Micro-brains.

Actually this should be in the "Things that piss you off" thread.

Edited by rjw63

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I never go to an Italian restaurant 

You’ve clearly not been to a good Italian restaurant, then 😳

I agree 15 quid for a standard spagbol or carbonara or takeaway quality pizza is plain silly, but f*** me I’ll happily pay good money for proper Italian food made right. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

The lorry thing happens every day on the stretch of M42 I use, and it's only two lanes.

As for lane swappers, yep, every day when the M42 is rammed between jnc 6 and 4. Micro-brains.

Actually this should be in the "Things that piss you off" thread.

Oh yeah my bad.

10 minutes ago, El Zen said:

You’ve clearly not been to a good Italian restaurant, then 😳

I agree 15 quid for a standard spagbol or carbonara or takeaway quality pizza is plain silly, but f*** me I’ll happily pay good money for proper Italian food made right. 

Its more a case of going to a good Chinese or Indian and knowing I can't make it 

The gap between my ability and an Italian restaurant is far smaller so I can't justify the price 

I can cook a damn good spag bol or my wife can make lasagna for 4 people (which also then has the "traditional" to my house problem that other foods also don't suffer from) for less than a tenner, no way am I going to pay 6 times that to take the family to an Italian restaurant 

Would even say its not a quality of ingredients or cooking method thing either, I haven't got a tandor for example, Italian food is too easy to replicate to a decent standard 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â