Gareth Bale

Genie

I quite like the idea that Gareth did a huge sigh and then snapped “ok then!” when asked if he was gonna turn up for a years worth of football in the sunshine for £30m.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The obsession in the media with Bale's plans post Madrid is truly bizarre. He's a cooked player. Does anyone actually gives two shits?

No going with this, yes he has slowed, but still a class player. Massive contribution for Tottenham last season towards the end.

• Like 3

If he doesn't need the money after next season, then he should join Cardiff and play for free. Imagine the boost it would give the place (Bale supports Cardiff I believe)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

If he doesn't need the money after next season, then he should join Cardiff and play for free. Imagine the boost it would give the place (Bale supports Cardiff I believe)

They never do that though do they,  Mark Hughes and Robbie Savage Wrexham fans  and always said they wanted to play for Wrexham never did. I think Bale just wants a world cup qualification with wales and a normal Low profile family life , he’s hardly a flash word removed is he I really don’t get the hate some people give him.

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

The obsession in the media with Bale's plans post Madrid is truly bizarre. He's a cooked player. Does anyone actually gives two shits?

I think after Beckham he was a British footballing superhero for going abroad. He had the exotic reputation plus skill andhe performed in big games. He probably hasa bigger reputation abroad than Kane or even Gerrard 

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

They are the media/press.. it's what they do.

Make up bullshit and fish for reactions to get clicks and sell the toilet paper they print it on.

Nothing to see here.

Surely Wales greatest ever player post John Charles.

Was top 5 in world for many years between 2012-16, did it at club level and did it at international level which eluded likes of Giggs, Neville Southall, Ian Rush and Mark Hughes in the late 80s up to early 2000s.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Gareth bale has achieved a lot, he’s scored great goals in big games, he almost single handedly at times got Wales to our first major tournament in a long time, then played a huge part in us getting further than anyone could have imagined possible.

Its sad that he hasn’t quite had the durability to continue at that kind of level into his thirties but like Ronaldinho and other great players who didn’t sustain, it shouldn’t detract from his legacy.

I guess that’s what makes Messi and Ronaldo so extraordinary, that they’ve been able to maintain for so long.

Yep i agree, only issue is the durability. Was that him or his body? If Rooney, Lampard or Gerrard made the Champions League final cameos he did they would still talk about them. 

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was top 5 in world for many years between 2012-16, did it at club level and did it at international level which eluded likes of Giggs, Neville Southall, Ian Rush and Mark Hughes in the late 80s up to early 2000s.

Well yes and no.

In Hughes, Rush and Big Nev's day it was 24  teams for the World Cup and 8 or 16 for the Euros.

it is now 32 and 24 teams- it is fairly easy to qualify for the euros as there are hardly more than 50 countries in Europe. You basically have to be an just  above average side to get through which Wales will be as long as Ramsey and Bale keep playing on.

Wales should have qualified for USA 94 but blew it and that was the end for that generation really.

Also Big Nev missed out largely of European competitions because of the British ban as well. Rush tried his luck in Italy but they all spoke Italian apparently. Hughes did win a couple of cup winners  cups.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

1000000%

Its not just that he’s been a top player, the worlds most expensive player for a time - it’s how much he loves playing for Wales, and that speaks volumes for the guy.

Think about it, worlds most expensive player, multiple European cup winner, plays for Real Madrid with some of the best known players in the world, then rocks up for a Wales camp for a friendly against Bulgaria playing in front of 20,000 fans and alongside players from league 1 at times. And he still loves it and he still gives it his all.

The man is a legend and I hope the welsh FA have a statue of him erected (not erected with a preceding comma, for all you Kenneth fetish folk ;))

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

They never do that though do they,  Mark Hughes and Robbie Savage Wrexham fans  and always said they wanted to play for Wrexham never did

Craig Bellamy dropped down to play for Cardiff when his stock was a lot higher but I can’t think of any other examples.

I’m pretty sure he was still getting his full Man City salary at the time which would have made the decision easier…

Edited by Genie

46 minutes ago, Genie said:

Craig Bellamy dropped down to play for Cardiff when his stock was a lot higher but I can’t think of any other examples.

I’m pretty sure he was still getting his full Man City salary at the time which would have made the decision easier…

Yes he did obviously he has an eye on management/coaching when he joined on a free from Liverpool .

Possibly unpopular opinion, but I have a massive amount of respect for Gareth Bale treating Real Madrid in the same manner that they (and other clubs) treat many, many players.  He's been frozen out, pretty much pushed out the door and knows full well he could move to basically anywhere he likes and still earn a fortune.

But no, he's draining those bastards dry and running down his contract so they suffer maximum expense - and, at the same time, managed to make a big impact at Spurs and with the Welsh national team.  It isn't like he's some washed up player choosing "money over football", he seems to have taken a proper stance here.  Good luck to him.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Xela said:

You would love to think players would do that but they never seem to. 

I thought Rooney would go back to Everton for the final few years but he preferred to go to USA and take the unneeded cash. 

It's funny some players just want to keep going as long as possible happy to go down the leagues even and some are just **** it, I'm loaded I'm giving it all up right now. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

You would love to think players would do that but they never seem to. 

I thought Rooney would go back to Everton for the final few years but he preferred to go to USA and take the unneeded cash. 

It's funny some players just want to keep going as long as possible happy to go down the leagues even and some are just **** it, I'm loaded I'm giving it all up right now. 

mm he did

Wayne Rooney - an underwhelming end to an underwhelming Everton career -  Royal Blue Mersey

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

In your defence, it was utterly forgettable and he did nothing of any note.

He did score from the halfway line one game and had a decent goal return though Everton were shit that season 

Â