The Outer Worlds

RunRickyRun

The Outer Worlds is out now and is the spiritual successor to Fallout New Vegas but in a futuristic Sci-Fi setting. If you've followed coverage of the game, then you probably have heard every outlet and game review mention this but it's still worth emphasising because since New Vegas, there haven't been a lot of RPGs like it and New Vegas is almost ten years old. 

I've had a ton of fun playing it so far. Its refreshing to play a game that is clearly made to be the best game possible and not a vehicle to entice you to spend extra money on cosmetics and upgrades. In fact, at the time of posting there are no micro-transactions. There are also very few bugs. I've had one game crash and one incident of very slow "pop-in" and that's about it (ps4 pro for reference). It certainly puts other bigger studios to shame in this regard.

The game is at it's best when you are exploring every nook and cranny to uncover the true narrative of what is happening in the world. It also has tonnes of NPCs with interesting dialogue options and side quests. Choices I've had to make so far have been tough ones and they do seem to have an impact on the world.

It isn't, however, a looter-shooter. I'm 15 hours in and combat has been brief and simple. It's still satisfying to craft an overpowered weapon and make short work of enemies, but it lacks the horror element of say Fallout 3, where, at the start of the game you felt very vulnerable and each encounter was tense. I've already thinking of a genocide run on the hardest setting for my next playthough to alleviate this.

Overall I would say it's very much worth your time and I really hope it's a commercial success. Single player games of this type are few and far between if you're not into Souls-like games and if it does well, it may encourage other smaller studios to follow suit.

spacer.png

Edited by RunRickyRun
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Just started playing this a few days ago and only really just got going but yeah, I can tell this is something very good! You can instantly tell its similar to Fallout, however, for me, it has a lighter tone to it. Definitely enjoying it though! 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â