Do you read?

Luke_W

Swedish. Some books I find better to read in english, but some, with a bit of an academic language, is better to read in swedish. And to be perfectly honest, Dan Browns books are hardly the ones where the beautifull language gets lost in translation. :P

Well your English is pretty much perfect, but I wondered if reading a novel in a foreign language could be a bit tiresome (I've tried it in French, and struggled) - unless it's really straightforward and simple... like Dan Brown.

I don't think it needs a spiler edit and I don't know how to do it, but just in case I'll try. :)

The background of the story is that the population of the earth is expanding, and the last 100 years or so it's expanded too rapidly meaning we'll be overpopulated really soon. According to some mathematicians we're closing in on 7 billions and it won't take long before we're 9 billions and if nothing drastical happens it'll all go to hell sooner rather than later as we're consuming a lot more than the earth can produce for us. And a little spoiler will be litterally to hell.

Swedish. Some books I find better to read in english, but some, with a bit of an academic language, is better to read in swedish. And to be perfectly honest, Dan Browns books are hardly the ones where the beautifull language gets lost in translation. :P

Well your English is pretty much perfect, but I wondered if reading a novel in a foreign language could be a bit tiresome (I've tried it in French, and struggled) - unless it's really straightforward and simple... like Dan Brown.

I thank you. :) And yes, some books can be a bit tiresome to read in english, and it definitely takes longer to read them. But as you say, the way Brown writes is probably not hard at all to read in english. But he sometimes uses some academic facts and language that I think would be hard to understand to get the whole picture. I mostly read books in english when I can't find them in swedish, tbh.

Anybody else use the BookTracker app in Facebook? I put most of my reads in there, but I still forget a few. Here's my last couple of years worth, as recorded (definitely some missing!):

Books01.jpg

Books02.jpg

Books03.jpg

Books04.jpg

Books05.jpg

Books06.jpg

Books07.jpg

Books08.jpg

Anybody else use the BookTracker app in Facebook? I put most of my reads in there, but I still forget a few. Here's my last couple of years worth, as recorded (definitely some missing!):

Books01.jpg

Books02.jpg

Books03.jpg

Books04.jpg

Books05.jpg

Books06.jpg

Books07.jpg

Books08.jpg

Shit...so many books in the world to read.

so many books in the world to read.

Literally.

I buy one book, and suddenly a hundred others that look really tempting pop up. I finish the first book and start on a second, and another hundred pop up again.

Some people have to endure this sort of torture when it comes to food, for me it's books.

• Like 2

Currently reading Dan Browns latest book, Inferno. If you like Dan Brown I'd say it's decent. But it's got an interesting thought in it. And scarrying as well. And I don't think it's impossible.

Better or worse than Da Vinci Code or Angels & Demons?

You should see my shortlist. I have a low, three shelf bookcase beside my bed, with well over a hundred books in it, comprising my "to read next" stack. That's not counting the thousands more around the house, or the ones I keep buying. :mellow:

I refuse to look at my desk because it is covered with books I've yet to read. And I keep buying more.

I have Tinker Tailor/Honourable Schoolboy/Smiley's People for now. I'm going through a great deal of Plath and need something a little less miserable to keep my spirits up. So, miserable spies in a murky, cold war world it was.

Currently reading Dan Browns latest book, Inferno. If you like Dan Brown I'd say it's decent. But it's got an interesting thought in it. And scarrying as well. And I don't think it's impossible.

Better or worse than Da Vinci Code or Angels & Demons?

Each to their own and all that but for me life is too short to read Dan Brown. Got through Da Vinci Code and thought it was laughingly bad.

• Like 1

Books01.jpg

Books02.jpg

Books03.jpg

Books04.jpg

Books05.jpg

Books06.jpg

Books07.jpg

Books08.jpg

Shit...so many books in the world to read.

....and thats only half of em!

• Like 1

Random musing, I still much prefer to read actually books than e-readers and kindles etc.

the electronic devices just don't feel, I dunno, real.

Very much the same, having spent all day at work staring into a computer screen, the last thing I want to do when I'm at home is to pick up another piece of technology. I'm aware that the e-readers are different, because they have no backlighting, but I still think it's important to engage in something of a more tactile nature.

• Like 1

Also are people able to have more than one book on the go at once?  That is something I can't do.

Hahaha, can I ever. Pretty sure this was covered back in the thread, but I do loads. Usually only one novel, but several non-fictions at a time. How? Well currently, like this: 

When I get into work, waiting for my PC to load: 

1930sbook.jpg

On toilet breaks at work (on the Kindle reader on my phone), as recommended by FrenchVillaLova in this thread: 

huysmans.jpg

(This breaks the 'only one novel' rule, but it subtitles itself 'a novel without a plot', so it doesn't present a problem!) 

At lunchtime, in a coffee shop: 

book-37.jpg

Toilet breaks at home (our loo is lined with bookshelves for browsing, but this is the current leader):

The-Music-Instinct.jpg

In the bath:

162331.jpg

And at bedtime: 

snowcrash.jpg

I can also dip into one of dozens of books during the evening in the living room! 

I need help... 

:)

I don't go quite as far as mjmooney, but I tend to have 3 or 4 going at a time. I don't see it as being any different to watching a few different TV series throughout a week, once you get a few lines in, it's easy to remember where you left off.

I do something which a few people have found a bit odd though, I almost never finish reading at a chapter, I'll at least read a few paragraphs in to the next one so I can jump right back in at the action.

There is a strong rumour that Phillip Kerr's Berlin Noir is going to be adapted for TV ( a la Band of Brothers) courtesy of Tom Hanks and HBO.

After an association of almost twenty five years, Tom Hanks and HBO may soon team up again on a new "prestige series."

According to Deadline, Hanks and his business partner Gary Goetzman at Playtone are working with HBO to acquire the rights to Philip Kerr's "Berlin Noir" novels as a potential show on HBO. The "Berlin Noir" TV series would center on German Police Detective Bernie Gunther and follow his story through the 1930s and into the the early years of World War II before eventually taking place after the war and laying the foundations of the Cold War in a divided Germany.
Edited by AVFC_Hitz

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â