Do you read?

Luke_W

19 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Larry David's lines are very much the humour of discomfort and embarrassment and even he says that when he did stand-up no one laughed but when Jason Alexander spoke them as George Costanza, the audience found them hilarious.

I seen a old photo of LD back in the early eighties, with a mop of curly hair, it looked so strange. I love him to bits, as I  do many of the other characters from the show. I was gutted that there's only eight seasons on NOW TV. I still haven't watched 11 and 12.

6 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It's only been out for two days, so who recommended it!

Waterstones ad on Facebook. Got it on day one. It's great. 

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Waterstones ad on Facebook. Got it on day one. It's great. 

And, there was me thinking you belonged to some literati cult, complete with funny handshake and arcane shibboleth!

Be sure to tell us all about it when you've read enough.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Be sure to tell us all about it when you've read enough.

Here's a little transcribed extract to be going on with: 

"The Grimm Brothers' originals are rather darker than we're accustomed to. Immediately following 'Cinderella', in the first edition, are two versions of the tale called 'How Some Children Played at Slaughtering'. In its least embellished form, it runs as follows. Two brothers watch their father slaughter a pig. That afternoon, they decide to 'play at slaughter' and one slits the other one's throat. Their mother, bathing a younger child upstairs, hears the screams and rushes downstairs. She takes the bloody knife and stabs the surviving brother in the heart. Meanwhile the child she left unattended drowns in the bath. She hangs herself. On returning from the fields her husband dies of grief. It's hard to imagine that becoming a Disney movie". 

• Like 1

Currently eading Pete Way's biography (of UFO and Waysted fame).

Definitely up their in the higher echelons of "how the **** is he still alive" musicians.

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Here's a little transcribed extract to be going on with: 

"The Grimm Brothers' originals are rather darker than we're accustomed to. Immediately following 'Cinderella', in the first edition, are two versions of the tale called 'How Some Children Played at Slaughtering'. In its least embellished form, it runs as follows. Two brothers watch their father slaughter a pig. That afternoon, they decide to 'play at slaughter' and one slits the other one's throat. Their mother, bathing a younger child upstairs, hears the screams and rushes downstairs. She takes the bloody knife and stabs the surviving brother in the heart. Meanwhile the child she left unattended drowns in the bath. She hangs herself. On returning from the fields her husband dies of grief. It's hard to imagine that becoming a Disney movie". 

That quote might easily have been included in the Bruno Bettelheim's The Uses of Enchantment. 😃

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â