Do you read?

Luke_W

Currently reading The Day of Battle, Part 2 of The Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson. Brilliant. Part 3 waiting on the shelf. After that I have The Lobster Coast, How Football Explains the World, Lawrence in Arabia, and The Guns in August. Should keep me busy for a while.

I've never read any Faulkner. He's on my list.

The best Southern American literature Ive ever read was All the Kings Men by Robert Penn Warren. Its actually one of the greatest American novels in general, ever written. Hauntingly beautiful and a good old fashioned page turner. High brow lit that reads easy, much easier than Faulkner.

The best Southern American literature Ive ever read was All the Kings Men by Robert Penn Warren. Its actually one of the greatest American novels in general, ever written. Hauntingly beautiful and a good old fashioned page turner. High brow lit that reads easy, much easier than Faulkner.
Hmmm, that looks intriguing. Although I'm wary, as I hate political novels (Gore Vidal's 'Lincoln' was probably the most boring book I've ever read).

Just enjoyed The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by Le Carre Haven't read a spy novel in so long to the point I'm unsure if I've even read one - aside from one or two Bond one's which frankly don't count. Anyway, was utterly superb to read. 

Got a collection of Camus and that Pullman one on the two Jesus' up next. I've started working as a library assistant recently and it's just too damn tempting to take out far too many books. But fun! Get to enjoy the superficial joy of browsing and selection without any cost! Libraries r gr8. 

Hmmm, that looks intriguing. Although I'm wary, as I hate political novels (Gore Vidal's 'Lincoln' was probably the most boring book I've ever read).

ATKM is less politics and more human condition-y, without being pretentious.

• Like 1

Just enjoyed The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by Le Carre Haven't read a spy novel in so long to the point I'm unsure if I've even read one - aside from one or two Bond one's which frankly don't count. Anyway, was utterly superb to read.

Got a collection of Camus and that Pullman one on the two Jesus' up next. I've started working as a library assistant recently and it's just too damn tempting to take out far too many books. But fun! Get to enjoy the superficial joy of browsing and selection without any cost! Libraries r gr8.

Have you read any other Le Carre books? I recommend the Smiley/Karla trilogy and A Perfect Spy.
  • Like 1

Hmmm, tricky. Depends if you want to have George Smiley fixed as Alec Guinness in your mind. Worked for me, but there was a long enough gap between viewing and reading, so I forgot the spoilers.

Currently reading Albion's Seed, which is a comprehensive look at both British and American folkways and the connections between them.

There's a good book by one Matthew Alper called "The 'God' Part of the Brain", that speculates on why the USA is so religious (bucking the trend that affluent and well-educated countries tend not to be). His theory is that some individuals are genetically predisposed to (for want of a better word) 'spirituality'. In most populations this minority is dispersed, but large numbers of them were driven out of Europe by religious persecution, and settled in America. This unusually high concentration of the 'god gene' in an initially small population could account for its long term survival. Interesting theory, anyway.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â