Do you read?

Luke_W

The Book Thief is a good choice. Despite the subject matter it is easy to read.

I'll offer an anti recommendation for Catcher in the Rye. One book that gets me far too worked up. Classic my **** arse. I know... It's all subjective etc but still...

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

I never liked Catcher either, I spent the entire book thinking the protagonist was a prick. You do have to read it when you are in your teens, or at a push very early twenties. Any older is too old to "discover" it I think. 

Edited by The_Rev

Another one who never really 'got' Catcher in the Rye. Did absolutely nothing for me. I read it when I was 23 I think, so maybe that's it.

Of Mice and Men is a great little story and you'll plough through it in no time. Maybe take it as well as one of these other suggestions.

I love getting book suggestions. I find books are one thing that I'm incredibly picky about and it's hard to judge based on reviews or even just the blurb or flicking through a few pages. I find finding a new book to read very difficult, so I enjoy reading all the opinions of the avid readers in this thread. It's very helpful.

Edited by Ginko

Crime and Punishment should be ideal for a holiday - there's no way your beach towel's moving with that baby on top.

It's also a great read.

Read that one.

Found it quite hard to get in to but a good read in the end.

Get a Kindle Stevo. That way you can load it with loads of books and you can read what the mood takes you. Plus its bulk to carry then numerous books. 

Get a Kindle Stevo. That way you can load it with loads of books and you can read what the mood takes you. Plus its bulk to carry then numerous books.

I probably should, but alas, I'm still a sucker for an actual real life book!
  • Like 1

I probably should, but alas, I'm still a sucker for an actual real life book!

No reason why they can't co-exist together. I predominantly use my kindle on holiday as it means i can take a load of options with me and read what I fancy at the time, Plus as long as you have a wifi connection you can download new books instantly. I remember in Egypt the other year, I'd downloaded a crime fiction book before i went, and read it by the pool. It was much better than I expected and I was keen to read the second book in the series. Hooked up to the hotel wifi, purchased the second book and in 10 seconds later it was on my kindle. Instant gratification! 

I buy both books and ebooks... like buying vinyl and downloading music. Time and a place for both  :)

Listen to me, I should be working at Curry's with this pitch! 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

Don't have an actual Kindle (the missus does), but I have the Kindle app on my phone, which does the job. Not my main source of reading, I still prefer real books, but it's for 'emergencies' - waiting for (or riding) a bus, dentist's waiting room, weekends away, that sort of thing. Used to be handy for toilet breaks when I was still a wage slave  :) and if I get a sleepless night, I can read it with the brightness turned down without waking the wife. Like CED, mainly shorter stuff - short stories, poetry, non-fiction, etc. 

And I don't think you actually need a wi-fi connection with some versions of Kindle - it uses the free Whispernet service to download stuff. 

The mentioning of Ann Coulter in another thread got me thinking about Al Frankens book 'Lies'(and the people that tell them). Wonderful fun about american political media.

• Like 1

5130SKP3F7L.jpg

Just started this and it's brilliant if you're a Rik Mayall fan. It's his 'autobiography' but written in character... that character being a great mix of his many characters, I can imagine a lot of it written by Richie from Bottom.

• Like 1

I've got a kindle and I have read loads on it, still prefer reading an actual book though.

Every book has its own personality, when I am reading a book I know that no one else in the world has a book like the one that I have got, that slight tear on page 29 the way the spine is creased the fold on page 86 etc, Every book on the kindle is in the same font and feels the same.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â