Do you read?

Luke_W

Slaughterhouse Five, because it's about time I read it.

Do you know if it is a version that has been in any way censored?

Haven't got a clue. Sorry.

Currently going through Delderfield's To Serve Them All My Days.

Really enjoyable so far and not as boring as I thought it'd be.

Perhaps because you're a teacher? Never read RLD, but the missus has, and she liked his stuff.

Maybe so but his narrative is modern even though it was written 90 years ago.

Haven't got a clue.

That's ok, there were a few 'edited' versions released in the 70s I think, and, the book was also censored in the sense it was banned out right in a few schools and libraries etc.

It's an interesting book.

Have you, (Or anyone else) ever read 'The Painted Bird', written by (Although there's some debate) Jerzy Kosinski?

Edited by 8pints

41aJcqqcd1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Review
"'Room is a book to read in one sitting. When it's over you look up: the world looks the same but you are somehow different and that feeling lingers for days' Audrey Niffenegger 'One of the most profoundly affecting books I've read in a long time' John Boyne 'Such incredible imagination, and dazzling use of language... Room is unlike anything I've ever read before' Anita Shreve 'Room is that rarest of entities, an entirely original work of art. I mean it as the highest possible praise when I tell you that I can't compare it to any other book. Suffice to say that it's potent, darkly beautiful, and revelatory' Michael Cunningham"

Review "Only a handful of authors have ever known how to get inside the mind of a child and then get what they know on paper. Henry James, Mark Twain, William Faulkner, and, more recently, Jean Stafford and Eric Kraft come to mind, and after that one gropes for names. But now they have company. Emma Donoghue's latest novel, "Room", is narrated by a 5-year-old boy so real you could swear he was sitting right beside you.... Room is so beautifully contrived that it never once seems contrived. But be warned: once you enter, you'll be Donoghue's willing prisoner right down to the last page."-- "Newsweek" "Malcolm Jones "

Room is a 2010 coming-of-age novel by Irish-Canadian author Emma Donoghue. The story is told from the perspective of a five-year-old boy, Jack, who is being held captive in a small room along with his mother.[1] Donoghue conceived the story after hearing about five-year-old Felix in the Fritzl case.[2]

Anyone ever read this? I started and finished it yesterday, Its a fantastic book, the premise of it makes you think it would be pretty damn bleak but it really isn't, I think this is because it is told from the perspective of a child, I would definitely recommend it.

51cFnHZ5P7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

A driver waiting at the traffic lights goes blind. An opthamologist tries to diagnose his distinctive white blindness, but is affected before he can read the textbooks. It becomes a contagion, spreading throughout the city. Trying to stem the epidemic, the authorities herd the afflicted into a mental asylum where the wards are terrorised by blind thugs. And when fire destroys the asylum, the inmates burst forth and the last links with a supposedly civilised society are snapped.

No food, no water, no government, no obligation, no order. This is not anarchy, this is blindness.

Just started reading this as well

These days I only really read Lee Child...but I do like the odd music-based book/biography/autobiography...if it's about someone I have an interest in...;)

tKTsCku.jpg

ha,same here. I've got a few music biographies, got everything sabbath and zep related.

I need a book to read on holiday.

Already got one but I'd like another. Preferably something fairly light given that it's a holiday read, and the gf said she might give it a read as she's not taking a book (and the book I already have is about goalkeepers so couldn't be less interesting to her!

Was going to buy Trainspotting that I mentioned earlier but again think that might be a bit deep for a casual one the beach read :)

Any suggestions?

Already got one but I'd like another. Preferably something fairly light given that it's a holiday read, and the gf said she might give it a read as she's not taking a book (and the book I already have is about goalkeepers so couldn't be less interesting to her!

Was going to buy Trainspotting that I mentioned earlier but again think that might be a bit deep for a casual one the beach read :)

Any suggestions?

The Goldfinch. It's long but not heavy.

Any suggestions?

It has it's moments but it's still a very amusing read too.

On the subject of Irvine Welsh, I'm about to get stuck into Crime.

Any suggestions?

Three Men in a Boat.

• Like 2

Three Men in a Boat.

One of my favourite books. A lads' holiday, Victorian style, and very funny. 

The sequel, Three Men on the Bummel (the title is explained at the end of the book) is less well-known, but also excellent. The same three blokes, ten years or so later, and now married, attempt to recapture their youth with a cycling holiday in Europe. It involves getting shitfaced in Prague, so not much changes when you think about it. 

What about a classic like To Kill a Mockingbird or Of Mice and Men, Stevo? Ever read either of those? They're not too long, easy to read and obviously very good.

A Pratchett book is always good for a light read, if daft fantasy your thing obviously. ( Guards Guards if you ask for a favourite )

Just finished Gunter Grass' memoirs. Not a light read Stevo btw ;) Most interesting period was him growing up as a teenager in Nazi Germany and it is well written but a bit dull at times and he belabours the onion as metaphor for memory too heavily, almost over eager to emphasise how unreliable his memory is that you half wonder if it's used as a bit of an excuse at times. Harsh to say that definitively though.

Just finished Gunter Grass' memoirs. Not a light read Stevo btw ;) Most interesting period was him growing up as a teenager in Nazi Germany and it is well written but a bit dull at times and he belabours the onion as metaphor for memory too heavily, almost over eager to emphasise how unreliable his memory is that you half wonder if it's used as a bit of an excuse at times. Harsh to say that definitively though.

OTOH, he did write The Tin Drum, which is a bona fide masterpiece. 

• Like 1

Meanwhile, I have a request of my own, for some detective work (or someone with a good memory)

A few years ago I read a novel that contained a sweet little vignette. I'd really like to know what book it comes from if anyone can help. Here's what I remember:

I think it was written in an american voice, set maybe in the 60s. A boy and an old man are hitchhiking because they lost their home when someone died, and are trying to find a relative to take them in. They get picked up. The boy has this thing where he collects bottles to return them for the deposits, and all the people in the car end up joining in.

The wasn't the main thrust of the novel, just an incidental, so I'm thinking it might have been a road story, William Burroughs or similar.

Anyone?

Edited by saturdaygig

OTOH, he did write The Tin Drum, which is a bona fide masterpiece.

Oh yes, that's how I knew him. Fantastic book and he does discuss his inspiration for that quite frequently in it too. The film adaptation wasn't too bad either considering the challenge of visualising that book.

Thanks all. I asked Facebook as well and eventually went for the book thief. Which probably isn't that light actually but sounded interesting.

Ginko, I'm trying to read some classics actually. Read Crime and Punishment not so long ago and currently reading War of the Worlds and have All Quiet on the Western Front on my list too.

Of Mice and Men is one I'd like to read too. Added the film to my Netflix queue yesterday coincidentally.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â