Do you read?

Luke_W

Just started to read 'The Night Sessions' by Ken Macleod - pretty good beginning and enjoyable so far!
I absolutely LOVED Macleod's "Fall Revolution" quartet. The "Engines of Light" trilogy was not quite as good, but still enjoyable. But "Newton's Wake" I thought was terrible - gave up on it before the end. And I've read nothing by him since.

Cheers mjm!!! If I enjoy this then i'll check out the fall revolution quartet as reccommended

Just started to read 'The Night Sessions' by Ken Macleod - pretty good beginning and enjoyable so far!
I absolutely LOVED Macleod's "Fall Revolution" quartet. The "Engines of Light" trilogy was not quite as good, but still enjoyable. But "Newton's Wake" I thought was terrible - gave up on it before the end. And I've read nothing by him since.

Cheers mjm!!! If I enjoy this then i'll check out the fall revolution quartet as reccommended

Caveat: It's a very loose "quartet". More like four separate novels that have some slightly obscure cross-referencing.

Macleod himself says you can read them in any order, but I went with publication sequence.

Bought a "new" Stephen King short story collection yesterday. "Everything's eventual". Read the first two stories and they were good. As expected. I like his short stories.

• 4 weeks later...

Can't put down James Ellroy.

I'm working through The L.A. Quartet - I've now read The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere and L.A. Confidential and just started White Jazz. Absolutely fantastic.

Then I'm going on to the Underword USA trilogy (American Tabloid, The Cold Six Thousand and Blood's a Rover), and I also have Dick Contino's Blues and Clandestine on the shelf.

(I did have a short break to read Hemingway's Across the River and into the Trees though!)

My friend has a trilogy by Cormac McCarthy. Was thinking of borrowing it for my holiday in Tenerife, is that a good call? I think The Crossing is one of them.

My friend has a trilogy by Cormac McCarthy. Was thinking of borrowing it for my holiday in Tenerife, is that a good call? I think The Crossing is one of them.
Yep. The "Border Trilogy":

All the Pretty Horses

The Crossing

Cities of the Plain (make sure you get the one by McCarthy, not that of the same name by Marcel Proust!)

Possibly an acquired taste. Read the first few pages of "Horses" first and see if you like it. (I do).

Doesn't bother me what the book's about, as long as its good it's holiday reading.

I shall borrow that off him then.

I love the films No Country for Old Men and the Road, but i've never actually read any of McCormac's books so I'll give these a whirl.

For some people, however I like 'light' reading on holiday. Brainless thrillers by Grisham and the sorts, that's holiday reading IMO.

I'd prefer not to have pictures of babies bashed against rocks whilst i'm sitting on the beach!

Although that said, The Border Trilogy is not as grim, and the first one especially has an awesome expansive western vibe to it, so they'll not be as bad on holiday as Blood Meridian and the likes.

For some people, however I like 'light' reading on holiday. Brainless thrillers by Grisham and the sorts, that's holiday reading IMO.

I'd prefer not to have pictures of babies bashed against rocks whilst i'm sitting on the beach!

Although that said, The Border Trilogy is not as grim, and the first one especially has an awesome expansive western vibe to it, so they'll not be as bad on holiday as Blood Meridian and the likes.

Yeh i do know what you mean to be fair CED. I've just been to Morocco for a week and must admit in 39 degree heat I ended up reading Chris Moyles' autobiography. One of the worst books I've ever read (and I like Moyles) but it was such light reading it was easy for that kind of environment.

Yeh i do know what you mean to be fair CED. I've just been to Morocco for a week and must admit in 39 degree heat I ended up reading Chris Moyles' autobiography. One of the worst books I've ever read (and I like Moyles) but it was such light reading it was easy for that kind of environment.

Memo to self: Never go to Morocco.

It was so hot the pages were falling out of our books because the sun was melting the glue!

Anyway, once I'd finished off Moyles I moved back to Crime and Punishment, so I like to think I balanced out quite nicely.

Reading Jeffrey Deaver now. Rather good. Don't remember the name of the book, but it's the one about the illusionist. Trying to find "The Bone collector" but as it is the first one I guess it'll be hard to find.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â