Do you read?

Luke_W

Read Portrait first. It is considerably easier to read than the others, but it is still fantastically written. There are few passages in it (one involving a prostitute, the other a sermon about hell) that are among the finest bits of writing you'll likely come across. It's easily one of my favourite books. I'd also get a version with notes at the end, although it isn't essential, but for full enjoyment I would do so.

Ulysses roughly comes after Portrait as the main character (Stephen) turns up in the former, although it is far from a sequel. It's hillarious but certainly a tougher read. I need to read it again.

I haven't bothered with Finnegans Wake just yet.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

Just finished The Dubliners. Loved it, some wonderful turns of phrase and so effectively economical with words. Actually feel more predisposed to one day reading Ulysses although I know it's a different kettle of fish. Will try A Portrait or Finnegans Wake first I guess.

Now on a Wodehouse for pure silliness. Much Obliged, Jeeves. It's standard and the right level of humour for my present mood.

I have to admit that having been somewhat daunted by the reputation of Ulysses, when I came to read it, I was surprised at what easy pleasures it gave up.

I just assumed that I was not really meant to understand the stream of conscience stuff and so didn't bother to get too hung up on it.

There are many gorgeously lyrical passages which more than justify Joyce's reputation, but which are nicely balanced against his descriptions of the gritty Dublin reality.

Erotic too.  :o

I remember in my early youth buying some silly occult/black magik books because I thought that's what led zep and sabbath fans were meant too do. Still have them too this day, I remember reading them and pretending too understand them. Look back now and I just laugh, if im honest if I did manage too conjour anything I'd of run a mile that's for sure. Very easily spooked is rugeley. Things you did trying too be cool ha.

• 3 weeks later...

I got Paris France to read by Gertrude Stein and I really like her books. Also I've got Oblomov by Goncharov which I never heard of but on it's publication in 1859 it made Goncharov famous throughout Russia. I saw it mentioned in this list of unheralded books. It was really the Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa that I wanted.

I got Paris France to read by Gertrude Stein and I really like her books. Also I've got Oblomov by Goncharov which I never heard of but on it's publication in 1859 it made Goncharov famous throughout Russia. I saw it mentioned in this list of unheralded books. It was really the Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa that I wanted.

This from the bloke that wrote: 

Your all clever on here, my heads looking in all direction can't keep up.

Sometimes I need something to think about and wonder what the clever people think about and how different it would be to see the world through their eyes. I guess I'll never know.

:)

Oblomov is good, BTW. 

Just ordered this, can't wait to get started on it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805087249/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't read An Army at Dawn, but I have read Together We Stand by James Holland, which covers the same subject. Would be interesting to compare. 

I just finished

62837.jpg

Edited by mjmooney

Finished this off last week

9780753828717.jpg

Really good. Starts off a little sluggish, obviously there's not as much info around about Clough's playing career so it reads as little more than a list of results and extracts from (mostly the same) newspaper articles. Which is fine, but it's not particularly enthralling.

Gets much better as he moves into management though.

Wilson's great, I'll be investing in this soon, another one of his

51uoV11grGL.jpg

Went to a nice bookshop in Ireland last week and wanted something short ish to fill the gap between big books. Somethign I could read in a couple of days comfortably.

Ended up buying two! Both "classics" that i've never read.

51O5Fqt21vL.jpg

and

Remarque%20Western%20Front.jpg

So I'll be working my way through them over the next couple of bus journeys :)

Just finished The Dubliners. Loved it...

His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

• Like 1

Just started Day of the Triffids. Been on my list for ages, and it's enjoyable so far.

Gave up on the Dark Tower series halfway into the second book. I just couldn't get into it as much as i'd have liked.

Just finished The Dubliners. Loved it, some wonderful turns of phrase and so effectively economical with words. 

That's another one I own that I need to have a look at. Probably get onto it after Triffids.

Just started Day of the Triffids. Been on my list for ages, and it's enjoyable so far.

Without risking any spoilers, I thought it was great apart from the ending. See what you think. 

Haven't read An Army at Dawn, but I have read Together We Stand by James Holland, which covers the same subject. Would be interesting to compare. 

I'll give you my full report upon completion, cap'n.

What I love about it already is that is has all the commanders from both sides listed, dozens of maps, and a key with different symbols for infantry, tank divisions, etc. I love that kind of stuff. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â