Do you read?

Luke_W

Yeah, another book is Fahrenheit 451 which I finished in 2/3 sittings. Beautifully written.

I remember being pleasantly surprised by Lord of the Flies back at school, one of the first books that really got me reading. Up until then I was reading non-fiction books on WWII and the Cold War. 

....also, I've just finished Savage Continent which I thought was storming. A real eye-opener to Europe in the immediate aftermath ofWWII.

After that, I've just downloaded Self's Punishment by Bernhard Schlink.

0753818892.jpg

Sixty-eight years old; a smoker of Sweet Aftons, a dedicated drinker of Aviateur cocktails, and the owner of a charismatic cat named Turbo, Gerhard Self is an unconventional private detective.When Self is summoned by his long-time friend and rival Korten to investigate several incidents of computer-hacking at a chemicals company, he finds himself dealing with an unfamiliar kind of crime that throws up many challenges. But in his search for the hacker, Self stumbles upon something far more sinister.
Edited by AVFC_Hitz

0164e91e6bedaa2817@large.jpg

This is the only book I can remember reading which is written in the second person. Proper 1980s scene a bit like American Psycho minus the violence and insanity. Strangely moving towards the end which was unexpected.

Also read number9dream which was excellent apart from the annoying 'Goatwriter' section in the middle. 

I remember being pleasantly surprised by Lord of the Flies back at school, one of the first books that really got me reading. Up until then I was reading non-fiction books on WWII and the Cold War. 

I bet you were a fun kid ;)

Fukkin hell, Levi, another book I have to read. They just keep coming.

I hope that said book is not just referring to the length of that post ;)

Hell no, reading that would have been unimaginable torture ;)

• Like 1

Any one ever read lord of the flies?

I'm waiting for it to be delivered I dont know why I've never bothered to read it before

At the moment I'm going over some of the older classics, just re-reading turn of the screw, then I want to revisit the catcher in the rye, to kill a mocking bird and the haunting of hill house

quite looking forward to lord of the flies though

I read Lord of the Flies in school but only really appreciated it when I went back and read it a few years later. It's a great book, chock full with symbolism and metaphor for society and the nature of people.

I personally found Catcher in the Rye a little dull, which is probably some kind of literature sacrilege, but each to their own. To Kill A Mockingbird is absolutely fantastic though, highly recommend it. If you're going down the classic American literature route I'd also recommend Of Mice and Men. It's a really short book that you'll blow through in no time at all.

I read Catcher in the Rye about 12 months ago (for the first time) and I agree it was a little dull but for some reason there is a nagging in the back of my head telling me to read it again.

I read Of Mice and Men when I was about 13 or 14 at school and can remember pretty much everything that happened in it still.

200px-The-road.jpg

I also bought this yesterday, I know that its been discussed quite a bit in this thread and has some pretty big fans in here. I'm not sure why I haven't bothered with it before (I've never seen the film either) because anything that is post apocalyptic is usually my type of thing

Fukkin hell, Levi, another book I have to read. They just keep coming.

This.

Yeah, that one looks good, Levi. I'll be in Harvard Square on Friday, I think I'll hit the Coop and look for that one. 

• Like 1

I bet you were a fun kid ;)

I read loads of WWII history when I was a kid too. 

Including the full set of the Pan paperback Battle of Britain series issued in 1969. Still have them. 

$(KGrHqVHJEwFG44+styQBR1VIBZt0Q~~60_12.J

200px-The-road.jpg

I also bought this yesterday, I know that its been discussed quite a bit in this thread and has some pretty big fans in here. I'm not sure why I haven't bothered with it before (I've never seen the film either) because anything that is post apocalyptic is usually my type of thing

The film is mediocre, the book is excellent.  The film cuts out some of the bleakest stuff from the book and a key scene in the book comes off as .crass product placement in the film. I know there are time constraints to consider when you are making a movie, but you can't really sell how bleak a post apocalyptic world is in two hours. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

I agree with The_Rev, the film is OK, the book is much better. 

My fave McCarthy though is still Blood Meridian. The most brutal western ever. Peckinpah, Leone and Tarantino would be hard put to film it. 

Edited by mjmooney

Has everyone heard of the book series called "Queen of the Tearling"?

Its by an unknown author writing her first book, and there's going to be seven books in the series.

Its been signed up by a large Hollywood studio to make a series of films from the books, and the author has been paid large amount of money for it (7-digit sum apparently).  

Emma Watson has been cast as the Queen.

The strange thing is that the first book hasn't even been written yet!

(internet rumours are that its actually JK Rowling who is going to write the book under another pseudonym).

Oh and when I said I was going to read Lord of the Flies I was wrong, it got delivered today and my neighbour picked it up for me, when we were having a drink on the roof earlier I told him what it was and he is keeping it to read for himself before I can have it.

No drama I have about 4 or 5 books to keep me going until he has finished with it

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â