Police state or the state of policing

Gringo

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

As bicks said, there were plenty of journalists over the weekend trying to find the source of the Ali Al-Shakati stuff. There was nothing before she posted it.

So, given this person didn't exist before she invented him, it seems at the very least she has a case to answer.

And as I put in another thread, it's not like she's some nobody. She's been huge in online right-wing nutjob circles since at least Covid and probably before. 

If Laurence Fox is Blur and Katie Hopkins is Mansun, she's someone like Space. Or Gene.

I thought the story originated from channel 3 news / Russian bot ?

tbh I’d never heard of her but then again I didn’t read any Covid conspiracy nonsense ( other than on VT 😀

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Turns out a Labour MP’s old tweets have now resurfaced , not inciting riots but a wee bit xenophobic and potentially racist

doubt they warrant an arrest but then again I’ve no idea where this is all gonna end tbh 

Are we still playing both sides are as bad as each other? As you say, the tweets in question, 10 years old as they are, don’t paint a good picture but they’re not exactly incendiary. Certainly not even close to much of the nonsense we’ve had to put up with for 14 years. 
She’s apologised but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Starmer censure her. He is under an obligation to deal with anything that isn’t legit.  Not just to distinguish himself but also because it’s the right thing to do. He’s already shown himself capable of “doing the right thing” in a way that’s at odds with what we’ve been used to. 

How many times did we hear under the tories that we’d have to wait for an investigation before judging the outcome only for it to be swept under the carpet? Those same people are now demanding the whip removed immediately. 

Edited by choffer
Punctuation

22 minutes ago, choffer said:

Are we still playing both sides are as bad as each other? As you say, the tweets in question, 10 years old as they are, don’t paint a good picture but they’re not exactly incendiary. Certainly not even close to much of the nonsense we’ve had to put up with for 14 years. 
She’s apologised but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Starmer censure her. He is under an obligation to deal with anything that isn’t legit? Not just to distinguish himself but also because it’s the right thing to do. He’s already shown himself capable of “doing the right thing” in a way that’s at odds with what we’ve been used to. 

How many times did we hear under the tories that we’d have to wait for an investigation before judging the outcome only for it to be swept under the carpet? Those same people are now demanding the whip removed immediately. 

Your kinda replying to something I didn’t say , I’ve not said anything about they are as bad as each other  , what I did say was  that  I thought both arrests were wrong , I’m not even sure why you’ve brought the Tories up as I never mentioned them … 

for the MP  her tweets were deleted years ago , it is suggesting to me that someone is trawling through old tweets looking for a gotcha moment … hence my comment where is this policing of online comments going to end ,

I’d rather plod were tackling knives on the street than  people asking them to investigate words written many years ago   , but I do accept that unchecked words can do more damage .

Edited by tonyh29

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Your kinda replying to something I didn’t say , I’ve not said anything about they are as bad as each other  , what I did say was  that  I thought both arrests were wrong , I’m not even sure why you’ve brought the Tories up as I never mentioned them … 

for the MP  her tweets were deleted years ago , it is suggesting to me that someone is trawling through old tweets looking for a gotcha moment … hence my comment where is this policing of online comments going to end ,

I’d rather plod were tackling knives on the street than  people asking them to investigate words written many years ago   , but I do accept that unchecked words can do more damage .

Where are you getting that she’s been arrested from? I’ve yet to see any suggestion that plod are even looking into it. Happy to be corrected if I’ve missed it. 
I’d just presumed you were playing devils advocaat. Something you’ve suggested you’ve done in the past. It does sometimes feel like you try to provide “balance” against the yoghurt knitting tendencies on VT. Sorry if I’ve misinterpreted that on this occasion. 

7 minutes ago, choffer said:

Where are you getting that she’s been arrested from? I’ve yet to see any suggestion that plod are even looking into it. Happy to be corrected if I’ve missed it. 
I’d just presumed you were playing devils advocaat. Something you’ve suggested you’ve done in the past. It does sometimes feel like you try to provide “balance” against the yoghurt knitting tendencies on VT. Sorry if I’ve misinterpreted that on this occasion. 

to my knowledge the MP  hasn’t been arrested , nor should she be IMO , but maybe I’ve clouded things  when I used the words “many years ago “ In my post .

The two arrested that I’m referring to are the right wing Covid conspirator and the labour councillor…the posts are a bit further back in the thread but again my opinion is that neither of them should have been arrested , though possibly with a bit more evidence now being presented maybe she knew what she was doing and  did try to instigate the riots so my view might change on her .

no apology required it’s just the “bad as each other “ comment I think is being used by people more on the side of the rioters and I just wanted to make a distinction that I’m not on their side 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Apple scrumpery? Dreadfully sorry

If you're asking what it means, 'scrumping' is sneaking into orchards and eating fruit without permission of the owner. Basically little kid naughtiness. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If you're asking what it means, 'scrumping' is sneaking into orchards and eating fruit without permission of the owner. Basically little kid naughtiness. 

I wasn’t. It’s a play on a Who lyric (from 5:15)

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

6 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

It’s a play on a Who lyric (from 5:15)

It predates The Who. Its one of those words that transcends generations. Scrumping. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Yup. Once you become a teen you graduate to sneaking into Somerfields and taking bottles of White Lightning without permission. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I wasn’t. It’s a play on a Who lyric (from 5:15)

I really should have spotted that.  😳

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With prisons now full and lots more people to come into the prison system over the next couple of months, how do we solve the shortage of prison spaces?

Jail less people?

Build more prisons? Takes a long time to build.

Shorter sentences?

Overcrowd prisons further?

Put some of the prison population somewhere else?

85,000 prison spaces but apparently 17,000 of them are filled with prisoners awaiting trial.  

Cuts in funding for courts and judges, the Covid-19 pandemic and a loss of criminal lawyers because of poor pay have created exceptional backlogs in prosecutions.

This means a record 17,000 of those now in jail are simply being warehoused, waiting for a trial. If they need help getting over a criminal past, they can’t get it until they’re convicted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cx2yr1454xkt

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

With prisons now full and lots more people to come into the prison system over the next couple of months, how do we solve the shortage of prison spaces?

Jail less people?

Build more prisons? Takes a long time to build.

Shorter sentences?

Overcrowd prisons further?

Put some of the prison population somewhere else?

Jail less people should be the ultimate goal. It costs £35k per person per year, its too expensive just to let people trade skills and develop drug habits.

In the short term, provide temporary accommodation modules.

In the medium term, release enough non violent female prisoners to be able to turn some establishments over to male prisoners and build more, smaller, geographically spread out female prisons.

in the long term, jail less people.

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Jail less people should be the ultimate goal. It costs £35k per person per year, its too expensive just to let people trade skills and develop drug habits.

In the short term, provide temporary accommodation modules.

In the medium term, release enough non violent female prisoners to be able to turn some establishments over to male prisoners and build more, smaller, geographically spread out female prisons.

in the long term, jail less people.

Why release nonviolent female prisoners and not nonviolent male ones?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Why release nonviolent female prisoners and not nonviolent male ones?

Because they are the fairer sex. Durr. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Because they are the fairer sex. Durr. 

You've clearly never worked in a bar and had to clean the female toilets at the end of a night. 

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â