Police state or the state of policing

Gringo

1 minute ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

He is more likely to go to prison and would serve more time than a civilian committing the same crime.  

I'm sure we will find out soon, just my opinion.

The AR officer got away with shooting an innocent Charles Mendez when the London bombings occured (yes a diffrent situation), which makes me think he may get away with this incident. But we will see?

It's not a competition who's right and wrong all the time, as some make out. 

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

Do you realise how the law works in this country? I'm really not sure you do

Anyone doing that to someone else would get jail time, a police officer will be treated more harshly because of their position in society and in the interests of public trust in the service. With added responsibility comes harsher punishment once the trust has been betrayed.

The media will have absolutely nothing to do with it but what the people sharing that video have done is make it harder to form an unbiased jury.

Would you get jail time for kicking someone on the floor in the head after they attacked you and your mates? If it was a first time offence, and the victim didn’t suffer any lasting harm?

Maybe you would as a police office. Genuinely not sure you would as a civilian.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The AR officer got away with shooting an innocent Charles Mendez when the London bombings occured (yes a diffrent situation), which makes me think he may get away with this incident.

That incident was completely different.  The officer that killed him was wrongly informed by superiors that he was a terrorist and highly dangerous. Furthermore the officer was instructed to stop him entering the underground system where he was believed to be planning to detonate a bomb.  

The officer that killed him did not commit a crime or operate outside his remit.  He did what he was told to do with ruthless efficiency. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mandy Lifeboats said:

That incident was completely different.  The officer that killed him was wrongly informed by superiors that he was a terrorist and highly dangerous. Furthermore the officer was instructed to stop him entering the underground system where he was believed to be planning to detonate a bomb.  

The officer that killed him did not commit a crime or operate outside his remit.  He did what he was told to do with ruthless efficiency. 

Its almost as if you are qualified in law and not just plucking things out of the air…..

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Would you get jail time for kicking someone on the floor in the head after they attacked you and your mates? If it was a first time offence, and the victim didn’t suffer any lasting harm?

1st paragraph -  no.  It's exceptionally unlikely you would go to jail. 

2nd paragraph-  much more likely.  

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Its almost as if you are qualified in law and not just plucking things out of the air…..

😁

The amazing thing is that most of the information I post is available to anyone. 

The sentencing guidelines for every offence are available online.  These outline the relevant factors.  There are a variety of offences that could be used in this case.  

Here's one of the possibilities 

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/assault-occasioning-actual-bodily-harm-racially-or-religiously-aggravated-abh/

Things mentioned include an "abuse of power" and "excessive self defence".  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Added details
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yes you would, in that specific circumstance where there is a video and the person being kicked can be seen to be already incapacitated. It is disproportionate, goes beyond any self defence argument and therefore crosses the line.

7 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

1st paragraph -  no.  It's exceptionally unlikely you would go to jail. 

2nd paragraph-  much more likely.  

If a police officer was charged and taken to court for the charge of ABH, GBH or even common assault the likelihood is, he's going to jail.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

One of the sad things is - if he hadn't kicked / stamped on the guy on the ground and the police had handled the situation perfectly, I imagine nobody other than those present in the airport terminal would have had any idea that this even happened. Is it major news when a police officer gets their nose broken?

The second arrest is just as bad. Kicking a man in the knee and pistol-whipping him when he had his hands up and already submitted is just as bad.

• Like 1

Look up the name Declan Jones. A WM police officer who was jailed for assault and ending committing suicide after being released.

He never should have been employed as a Police officer imo. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

We don't have the full facts and therefore don't even know what he will be charged with.  

He might have been in a longstanding undeclared relationship with the WPC when was punched.  More people might come forward with historic complaints against him.  The investigation may establish that he was a racist.  He might have been mentally ill.  There may be plea bargaining.  

Based upon an incomplete set of facts and a generalised guess of the charges he will face I would guess he will be convicted and imprisoned.  

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes you would, in that specific circumstance where there is a video and the person being kicked can be seen to be already incapacitated. It is disproportionate, goes beyond any self defence argument and therefore crosses the line.

Yes, you’d be convicted of a crime. That doesn’t automatically mean jail time. Seems very much like a suspended sentence situation for the average Joe to me.

Not sure if @Mandy Lifeboats has any particular expertise here but he appears to agree.

Edited by Panto_Villan

3 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yes, you’d be convicted of a crime. That doesn’t automatically mean jail time. Seems very much like a suspended sentence situation for the average Joe to me.

Not sure if @Mandy Lifeboats has any particular expertise here but he appears to agree.

It’s the difference between Abh / Gbh. If the charge was ABH I agree, first offence - civilian, no jail time. But if the cyst on the brain is proven to be correct and as a result of the attack, we're in GBH territory

22 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The second arrest is just as bad. Kicking a man in the knee and pistol-whipping him when he had his hands up and already submitted is just as bad.

He’s still a threat though so I don’t see that as bad . 

• Like 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

He’s absolutely not a threat, he’s sat down, compliant with what he’s been told to do by officers, hands behind head. It is excessive force.

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Everyone is a threat. At the time he wasn't doing anything to threaten.

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

He’s absolutely not a threat, he’s sat down, compliant with what he’s been told to do by officers, hands behind head. It is excessive force.

He'd just finished beating f*** out one of the officers and flapped. He was complying, but no one is right to say he was still not a threat. This happens all the time on the street, even seen it on TV. Culprit puts his hands up, he's thrown to the floor and cuffed.

Taser to the head was a little harsh, but I doubt this guy will have anythng thrown at him surely.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Of course he’s still a threat he’s still able to lunge at the policeman and given his previous actions moments earlier he needs taking down. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â