Police state or the state of policing

Gringo

I'll defend the Police a lot, as I've had family members serve, and I know people in the service today. Its a tough job, and most people despise and belittle you nowadays. That being said, there is no defence for kicking or stamping on someone's head, when they are on the floor and restrained, regardless of the circumstances. You won't find any decent copper defending that. 

It is extremely difficult to get into the firearms division. They won't take a chance on anyone who might have a bit of a short temper, so its quite disturbing to see. 

Interesting to see what went on leading up to the incident that left three officers needing medical attention. The 'victims' might consider themselves lucky they are still breathing as fighting with armed airport cops in a lot of countries would see them shot.

23 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'll defend the Police a lot, as I've had family members serve, and I know people in the service today. Its a tough job, and most people despise and belittle you nowadays. That being said, there is no defence for kicking or stamping on someone's head, when they are on the floor and restrained, regardless of the circumstances. You won't find any decent copper defending that. 

It is extremely difficult to get into the firearms division. They won't take a chance on anyone who might have a bit of a short temper, so its quite disturbing to see. 

Interesting to see what went on leading up to the incident that left three officers needing medical attention. The 'victims' might consider themselves lucky they are still breathing as fighting with armed airport cops in a lot of countries would see them shot.

I'm sorry, but the way they conducted this 'arrest' (or sentencing, if you will), indicates to me that they likely went to the hospital to try to cram as much 'damage' onto doctor's reports as they did in the miner's strikes, as @chrisp65 eloquently put it.

They should've arrested their colleague on the spot. Gang mentality.

If you can't handle your colleague bleeding from the nose, something which doesn't really need to be caused by a hard blow without turning into someone from American History X, then you really shouldn't be in the force. What he did to the guy on the bench is just as bad. Punching someone with a gun and kicking them when they've submitted is gross bodily harm. There's no ifs or buts about it.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Am I the only one who thinks you can do more damage with a kick than a stamp? It always seems that stamping is the highest escalation.

Honestly, I think there's only so much force you can generate lifting your leg up and hitting someone's head to the ground , whilst with a kick you can volley someone's jaw right off. 

Just my 2 cents!

Unless you're a footballer, I think you can get more weight and force into a stamp, not least due to gravity but also because the force of the kick would vary wildly based on angle and timing and where you catch the person. With a stamp, the surface area of contact is larger, you can do some serious damage. But I hear your point, a well placed kick can be devastating. When someone's on the floor incapacitated like that anything can cause damage.

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's assumptions on top of assumptions. Try going into a crime stricken neighbourhood, where young kids nonchalantly ride through on illegal conveyances, wearing balaclavas instead of helmets. Where Mothers are fearful to let their kids play out, lest they get hit by a speeding car that's racing. Try telling those residents the police need to be less aggressive. 

For them, the Police aren't even visible. 

Are these residents looking for police to try to kick the heads off prone, restrained people?

Or really do they want to be protected by the police in a normal fair way.

You can’t excuse trying to kick someone’s head off by saying we want more visible policing. 

Were the police wearing bodycams? If not, why not?

Everyone ends up being protected better if the whole incident is on film from start to finish. I'd like to see the full footage being released in cases like these, as it leaves a lot less empty space for people to project their own prejudices into.

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

You haven’t answered the question.

It seems to me you want people to go easy on the police but still be able to criticise whatever politicians you yourself want because it suits you. 

It’s double standards and you know it. 

double standards 😂😂😂 yeah because politicians go out and save our lives daily. 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

double standards 😂😂😂 yeah because politicians go out and save our lives daily. 

Oh ok, so your position is that we can’t critique any occupation “on the front line” where lives are at risk?

Second question, do you still stand by your description of “thuggery” for this incident? Because if so, how dare you criticise our boys in blue, putting their life on the line to keep you safe?

Can we only criticise the police actions that you also deem substandard?

4 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I see what you mean but you are wrong.  

The Police have more powers than ever.  They just have to be able to justify the use of those powers to the public.  

A Police officer can kill you, drive 100mph in a 30mph zone if its safe to do so, raid your home, put you in handcuffs, detain you for 24 hours, demand you identity, tell his dog to bite you,  demand the password to your phone and much more. 

They don't need more power.  They just need to be better at using the powers they have. 

I dont agree with that mandys boats on this one. Police have always used handcuffs in my lifetime, the same with the driving. They can only raid your home if they have a reason to do so. They are not going to just randomly come invade your space and go through your things without a warrant. 

A police officer can kill you ? Its rare if it at police kill people for no reason. Most police would use a taser unless they are in life threatening situation. I would bet most on this forum have never been in that situation- you how hard it is to make that decison? You sometimes have a split decision and you make wrong decision you could end up dead.

I disagree with your statement at the end. But thats fine we dont have to agree on everything 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Also, still feel the same about what exactly?

Have you forgotten what I said in reply to you?

So I haven’t got a clue what you think I’m going to change my mind on. I pointed out that this wasn’t a single incident that provoked criticism of the police in recent times.

And I am correct with that statement.

Sorry i missed this part of your post so i retract that part of my post

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Oh ok, so your position is that we can’t critique any occupation “on the front line” where lives are at risk?

Second question, do you still stand by your description of “thuggery” for this incident? Because if so, how dare you criticise our boys in blue, putting their life on the line to keep you safe?

Can we only criticise the police actions that you also deem substandard?

My position is in a role that is extremely difficult where you are putting your life on the line, working long hours, see horrific crimes (eg kids being killed) and paid crap money and comparing that to mps who most just sit in their arses all day and just find ways to screw the common man on tax is ludicrous. 

Its just not on same level at all. (Btw im not saying you can't criticise when they are doing wrong all i merely saying its easy to criticise but i bet most on here would struggle significantly doing their roles me included) 

I know a load of police men and i see what the crap they have to go through so im not gonna label our police force crap when it isnt

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

My position is in a role that is extremely difficult where you are putting your life on the line, working long hours, see horrific crimes (eg kids being killed) and paid crap money and comparing that to mps who most just sit in their arses all day and just find ways to screw the common man on tax is ludicrous. 

Its just not on same level at all. (Btw im not saying you can't criticise when they are doing wrong all i merely saying its easy to criticise but i bet most on here would struggle significantly doing their roles me included) 

I know a load of police men and i see what the crap they have to go through so im not gonna label our police force crap when it isnt

I’m not sure anyone labelled the police force as “crap”. So I think you’re kinda tilting at windmills with that stance.

The police should be held to a high standard. When they fail to meet that standard, it should be a big deal. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m not sure anyone labelled the police force as “crap”. So I think you’re kinda tilting at windmills with that stance.

The police should be held to a high standard. When they fail to meet that standard, it should be a big deal. 

But its not really the "police" its one or two individuals who have decided to act like dicks and give the whole police force a bad name.

Although im not saying the police officers here acted in  a very poor manner i would like to know the whole facts of what happned leading up to this

47 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I disagree with your statement at the end.

So what could the Police do in the 1970s that they can't do now? 

They can't hit you as a punishment.  That was accepted behaviour. 

But what else? 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Spelling mishsteaks

44 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They are not going to just randomly come invade your space and go through your things without a warrant.  

A great example. Previously the Police would need a warrant to search your home. The warrant is no longer necessary if its a serious offence and necessary to do so. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But its not really the "police" its one or two individuals who have decided to act like dicks and give the whole police force a bad name.

Although im not saying the police officers here acted in  a very poor manner i would like to know the whole facts of what happned leading up to this

The police, as a single entity, are held to a high standard.

When one or two individuals fail to meet that standard it reflects badly on that entity. That is true of most things in life.

When I say “the police have not met that high standard” I am saying that those individuals need to dealt with accordingly and the relevant authorities need to review to ensure they reduce the chance of that failure happening again.

I am now confused by your last paragraph. 

Earlier you said “Not excusing thia (sic) behaviour at all as it’s wrong and thuggery.” 

Now you’re NOT saying the officers acted in a very poor manner? Is there a typo that has made me misunderstand. Because I now no longer understand your view on this incident.

25 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Are these residents looking for police to try to kick the heads off prone, restrained people?

Or really do they want to be protected by the police in a normal fair way.

You can’t excuse trying to kick someone’s head off by saying we want more visible policing. 

Just look at the state of this Country's prisons. As Dostoyevsky said, "The degree of civilisation in a society can be judged by entering it's prisons." If that is true, then we are heading down a very dark road.

I'm someone whose spent 18yrs of his life in prison, but without that healthy respect for authority, it's not a case of relying on one's inner resources, it's dog eat dog. No parameters, no rules, you're heading down a dark road. That's scary, especially for the young kids of today. 

It's easy to pontificate from a place of comfort. 

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Just look at the state of this Country's prisons. As Dostoyevsky said, "The degree of civilisation in a society can be judged by entering it's prisons." If that is true, then we are heading down a very dark road.

I'm someone whose spent 18yrs of his life in prison, but without that healthy respect for authority, it's not a case of relying on one's inner resources, it's dog eat dog. No parameters, no rules, you're heading down a dark road. That's scary, especially for the young kids of today. 

It's easy to pontificate from a place of comfort. 

The overcrowding of prisons isn’t helped by people booting each other in the head regardless of whether they are wearing uniform or not.

I find it pretty scary that this sort of behaviour is ever attempted to be excused. How on earth anyone can look at that footage and think it is justified force is beyond me.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

So what could the Police do in the 1970s that they can't do now? 

They can't hit you as a punishment.  That was accepted behaviour. 

But what else? 

But in the 1970s didnt teachers use to beat kids in school back then?

And id argue the worlds a much more dangerous and different place now than then.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â