Police state or the state of policing

Gringo

27 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The police, as a single entity, are held to a high standard.

When one or two individuals fail to meet that standard it reflects badly on that entity. That is true of most things in life.

When I say “the police have not met that high standard” I am saying that those individuals need to dealt with accordingly and the relevant authorities need to review to ensure they reduce the chance of that failure happening again.

I am now confused by your last paragraph. 

Earlier you said “Not excusing thia (sic) behaviour at all as it’s wrong and thuggery.” 

Now you’re NOT saying the officers acted in a very poor manner? Is there a typo that has made me misunderstand. Because I now no longer understand your view on this incident.

Yes you have it wrong, let mw make my position clearer.i have never defended their actions. Ive said its wrong and barbaric. My comments refer go the police as whole where im talking about how difficult their roles are and i think its abit harsh to criticise them quoting your word "as a entity". Im speaking generally now.

I think we are kind of agreeing on some elements as i agree wholeheartedly with your third paragraph. It will need review and it certainly needs to be looking into how these people have become police officiers. 

40 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

A great example. Previously the Police would need a warrant to search your home. The warrant is no longer necessary if its a serious offence and necessary to do so. 

Thanks i actually didnt know that. After checking it says they cannot just invite themselves in. But they can come in if they believe a person has committed or attempted to commit a serious crime. Dont think thats a bad thing if a murders locked himself in someones house they have a right to get in there.  

If they get it wrong then their is a process to make a complaint. 

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Were the police wearing bodycams? If not, why not?

Everyone ends up being protected better if the whole incident is on film from start to finish. I'd like to see the full footage being released in cases like these, as it leaves a lot less empty space for people to project their own prejudices into.

Andy Burnham said he has seen the full footage and the situation is not 'clear cut'. That kind of indicates some major shit led to the incident. 

Not that it excuses the stamp of course. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

But in the 1970s didnt teachers use to beat kids in school back then?

And id argue the worlds a much more dangerous and different place now than then.

Yes they did.  Just like the Police force there were some teachers that abused that power. 

You still haven't quoted any examples of powers that the Police have lost.  Trust me, you are going to struggle to find any.  The only ones I can think of are that they can't beat you as a form of punishment and undercover officers can't father children with the people they are investigating. 

The Police have more powers than ever before. It's just that they need to be accountable. 

Let me give you an example. 

The Police have always been able to place you under covert surveillance.  In the 1970s they would just go and do it.  They can still do it but they have to complete a form called a RIP1 (Regulation Investigatory Powers 1) before they start. This outlines the matter being investigated, purpose of the surveillance and methodology to be used.  All officers involved must read that form so that they know their limits.  

If an officer finds themselves in need of undertaking urgent surveillance they can obtain verbal authority and fill out the form later.  If it's even more urgent they can undertake the surveillance and fill out the form retrospectively at the first opportunity. 

At the end of the operation another form is completed (RIP4) outlining what was done and what was achieved. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/ripa-forms--2

Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act - Forms

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Spelling mishsteaks
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Unless you're a footballer, I think you can get more weight and force into a stamp, not least due to gravity but also because the force of the kick would vary wildly based on angle and timing and where you catch the person. With a stamp, the surface area of contact is larger, you can do some serious damage. But I hear your point, a well placed kick can be devastating. When someone's on the floor incapacitated like that anything can cause damage.

A stamp is more damaging because the solid object on the other side of the head (I.e. the ground) means all the force is taken by the head. With a kick some of the force can be lost in the recoil. 

It's a bit sketchy, but I heard off my pal last night whos an AR officer (please don't quote me on it as fact, as I know how VT works). There was apparently an argument on the aircraft or in the baggage area prior to this incident with the mother, may have been physical like a barge from a random guy. The mother pointed the guy out to some family members who were collecting them from the carpark. The family members jumped a security barrier and kicked off with this guy, the police turned up, an all hell broke loose, with the perpertrators resisting arrest, possibly causing the broken nose on one of the officers.

Apart from trying to seriously injure someone (the head kick). Armed police can, an will use extreme force to stop an incident as quick as possible in an airport.

57 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's a bit sketchy, but I heard off my pal last night whos an AR officer (please don't quote me on it as fact, as I know how VT works). There was apparently an argument on the aircraft or in the baggage area prior to this incident with the mother, may have been physical like a barge from a random guy. The mother pointed the guy out to some family members who were collecting them from the carpark. The family members jumped a security barrier and kicked off with this guy, the police turned up, an all hell broke loose, with the perpertrators resisting arrest, possibly causing the broken nose on one of the officers.

Apart from trying to seriously injure someone (the head kick). Armed police can, an will use extreme force to stop an incident as quick as possible in an airport.

Sketchy, apparently, may have been, possibly. 

I have no reasons to disbelieve this. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Just look at the state of this Country's prisons. As Dostoyevsky said, "The degree of civilisation in a society can be judged by entering it's prisons." If that is true, then we are heading down a very dark road.

I'm someone whose spent 18yrs of his life in prison, but without that healthy respect for authority, it's not a case of relying on one's inner resources, it's dog eat dog. No parameters, no rules, you're heading down a dark road. That's scary, especially for the young kids of today. 

It's easy to pontificate from a place of comfort. 

Your posts make a lot more sense when viewed as written by someone who has experienced years of prison 'justice'.

You do seem to have completely missed the question you were actually asked though. Do you think those communities (that most would agree need more of a police presence) would feel safer if safely restrained people were getting their heads stamped on by the authorities?

FWIW I also know an awful lot of police and even the 'I miss the days when we could squeeze confessions out of people' types don't seem to have been able to find any justification for this incident.

My sister is a serving PCSO and she gave me some valid info that I believe 100%. She said that she finds it near impossible to stop youths on escooters in Leominster.  I said that doesnt help me with what happened in Manchester. she said how the **** would I know about that?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Sketchy, apparently, may have been, possibly. 

I have no reasons to disbelieve this. 

Who has the bottled to state anything as fact on VT. If wrong, your treated like a copper who has just stamped on someones head. 😆

17 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Who has the bottled to state anything as fact on VT. If wrong, your treated like a copper who has just stamped on someones head. 😆

People in possession of actual facts?
What you’ve posted is gossip but have attempted to dress it up as meaningful and insightful. It is neither.

14 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Your posts make a lot more sense when viewed as written by someone who has experienced years of prison 'justice'.

You do seem to have completely missed the question you were actually asked though. Do you think those communities (that most would agree need more of a police presence) would feel safer if safely restrained people were getting their heads stamped on by the authorities?

FWIW I also know an awful lot of police and even the 'I miss the days when we could squeeze confessions out of people' types don't seem to have been able to find any justification for this incident.

Honest, hard working residents who live in crime stricken areas would be quite happy for the police to be a bit more aggressive. Come to my Manor, and I'll show you around. You can ask the residents yourself. 

I don't know what police you know, but the days when Old Bill could fit you up, they was giving out a bit more than just stamps and kicks.

Try having a plastic bag pulled over your head. 

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

That's just not true.  Police can use reasonable and necessary force.  

Extreme force that is unnecessary or unreasonable is a criminal act. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bickster said:

People in possession of actual facts?
What you’ve posted is gossip but have attempted to dress it up as meaningful and insightful. It is neither.

So what! 

When has a forum been a place for actual facts. I thought it was a place for discussion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

That's just not true.  Police can use reasonable and necessary force.  

Extreme force that is unnecessary or unreasonable is a criminal act. 

I agree, although it wasn't really related to this incident, as it didn't really require extreme force.  If someone tries to grab there gun, I think extreme force could be justified.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â