Police state or the state of policing

Gringo

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah but dalian was years ago mate. Im simply saying im glad these episodes are rarely happening unlike other countries.

Im certainly not excusing any of the behaviour those cases you highlighted above. But i know police have a very difficult role

I bring up Dalian because it involves a police officer kicking someone to the head (while having a taser gun out…it’s not clear to what extent it was used in this instance). There are parallels.

The Everard vigil was “years ago”. It’s still relevant. As is Atkinson’s death. These all feed into a distrust of the police.

How many comparable examples take place in other countries is irrelevant. One is too many.

15 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I agree on pay, and conditions (and you won't be surprised to hear me lay a lot of that at the Tories door), but what does this actually mean?

Alot of police power taken away. People can treat the police like shit and nothing will happen to them

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I bring up Dalian because it involves a police officer kicking someone to the head (while having a taser gun out…it’s not clear to what extent it was used in this instance). There are parallels.

The Everard vigil was “years ago”. It’s still relevant. As is Atkinson’s death. These all feed into a distrust of the police.

How many comparable examples take place in other countries is irrelevant. One is too many.

Yeah but you can equally say 2-3 episodes a year is not the worst either mark. You will of course get isolated incidents like you have said but its easy to criticise police as a whole if you have never done the role yourself

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah but you can equally say 2-3 episodes a year is not the worst either mark. You will of course get isolated incidents like you have said but its easy to criticise police as a whole if you have never done the role yourself

Did I say it was the worst? I don’t believe I did.

As for criticism for a role I haven’t done, I hope I don’t see anyone criticise the new government or an Aston Villa player. And if they do, I will be asking to see their credentials to see what makes them qualified to make that criticism. 

I do think it's fair to point out though that "police officer goes to work, arrests criminals and does a great job" doesn't tend to generate news articles, so we certainly get a skewed impression

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I do think it's fair to point out though that "police officer goes to work, arrests criminals and does a great job" doesn't tend to generate news articles, so we certainly get a skewed impression

Yep.

And here’s Mark Corrigan to explain why.

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Did I say it was the worst? I don’t believe I did.

As for criticism for a role I haven’t done, I hope I don’t see anyone criticise the new government or an Aston Villa player. And if they do, I will be asking to see their credentials to see what makes them qualified to make that criticism. 

You didnt and i didnt say you did either. I was speaking as a whole.

You cant seriously compare a person that kicks a ball for our enjoyment to people that risk their lives to keep us safe?

Just now, Demitri_C said:

You didnt and i didnt say you did either. I was speaking as a whole.

You cant seriously compare a person that kicks a ball for our enjoyment to people that risk their lives to keep us safe?

So what professions can I criticise without having comparable experience?

So you agree you shouldn’t criticise the government because you don’t have the necessary expertise and experience to do so, yeah?

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What power has been taken away?

It's never been a crime to disrespect the police. They're just under a lot more scrutiny so it's harder to haul someone away on bogus charges.

You've never been the mayor of London ;)

You can disrespect police in other nations so why is that acceptable here. If i come up get in your face calm you a piece of shit im sure you would want to fight me. So why should they have to tolerate that? 

As for the mayor - police dont control how much i have to pay with new brainless ideas so when it comes to our personal income like a certain someone who ahall remain nameless 😛 i mean you might as well close this forum as alot of other members day in day out criticise the tories if we are not allowed to criticise  MPs. You are taking thia off subject by the way 😁

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

So what professions can I criticise without having comparable experience?

So you agree you shouldn’t criticise the government because you don’t have the necessary expertise and experience to do so, yeah?

Apply for a police role and tell me if you still feel the same after 12 months

Police Officers are no different from any other professionals.  Most are OK. Some are excellent. Some are criminals. 

The problem is that we give them chest of deadly toys to play with.  

I have dealt with a lot of Police officers in my career.  IN GENERAL, they feel that their uniform entitles them to respect and that the general public does not respect them.  IN GENERAL, the attitude of the Police needs to change. 

But...............

I have met many brilliant Police Officers and IN GENERAL they all do a difficult job to a reasonable standard.  I want Police who feel empowered to kill someone if the situation truly calls for it.  Very few of us have pointed a gun at someone and had to decide whether to kill them.  Mistakes happen and we should remember all the times things were done correctly in addition to the unacceptable incidents like this one.  

The fact that this instance has come to light is testimony to how good our society is.  Its not been ignored.  People aren't afraid to talk about it for fear of the Police raiding our homes.  Millions of people live in countries where Police corruption is the accepted norm.  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Spelling mishsteaks
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

You haven’t answered the question.

It seems to me you want people to go easy on the police but still be able to criticise whatever politicians you yourself want because it suits you. 

It’s double standards and you know it. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Also, still feel the same about what exactly?

Have you forgotten what I said in reply to you?

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

These are just instances I can recall off the top of my head. They do have a hard job, agreed, there are more good than bad, agreed. But one instance of failing to meet standards, it ain’t.

So I haven’t got a clue what you think I’m going to change my mind on. I pointed out that this wasn’t a single incident that provoked criticism of the police in recent times.

And I am correct with that statement.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Alot of police power taken away. People can treat the police like shit and nothing will happen to them

I see what you mean but you are wrong.  

The Police have more powers than ever.  They just have to be able to justify the use of those powers to the public.  

A Police officer can kill you, drive 100mph in a 30mph zone if its safe to do so, raid your home, put you in handcuffs, detain you for 24 hours, demand you identity, tell his dog to bite you,  demand the password to your phone and much more. 

They don't need more power.  They just need to be better at using the powers they have. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Very good post however regarding the part in bold. If an officer that is trained to avoid emotion became overcome by seeing his colleagues hurt then how would a young lad feel and react to see his elderly mother hurt? This is what allegedly happened when the police first confronted the lads.

The police are apparently allowed to experience human emotions in such scenarios. Not the public- do so, you get a beatdown 

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Anyone seen the photo of the police woman that had the broken nose? I’ve just been sent it by someone. Not sure if legit .

If it's the one where she has a z shaped cut along her nose it relates to an incident in 2020.

11 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

If it's the one where she has a z shaped cut along her nose it relates to an incident in 2020.

Nah it’s a straight cut with two black eyes. She’s a pretty little thing even with the black eyes . 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Nah it’s a straight cut with two black eyes. She’s a pretty little thing even with the black eyes . 

Not even the same officer and it again was 2020

• Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â