Cameron Archer

Zatman

13 hours ago, JPAngel said:

Very easily could've had two goals last night as the first one that was ruled out for offside was super tight. Seeing him pull out his traditional Archer celebration last night makes me think his confidence is on the mend after a really difficult season in a dreadful team.

I wanted to check out his stats on FBREF this morning to see how he was last season and it does make for interesting reading.

Only 42 shots all season and just 9 of them were on target (21%). That's atrocious, right?

Then I saw that his xG was just 5.5 from those 42 shots so it sounds like he was having to have a pop for anywhere because that team was just not creating good chances for him - which is clearly what he needs. His final goals tally was 4 so he did underperform slightly but that's quite common to see, even for top strikers.

I think we should give him a chance in the squad this season.

Incidentally, I thought his goal against us at VP was taken with aplomb. 

• Like 1

Dwight Gayle was a great finisher … he isn’t good enough for where we are and aiming to stay simple ! He’s a lower half prem player at best and needs to be sold imo - he won’t make it here 

Edited by thabucks

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Dwight Gayle was a great finisher … he isn’t good enough for where we and aiming to stay simple ! He’s a lower half prem player at best and needs to be sold imo - he won’t make it here 

This comparison, while accurate, makes me shudder.

Someone said earlier that you can teach the rest of the game aside from natural finishing ability. Gayle is proof that you cannot. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Knutserov13 said:

Solanke looks set to sign for Spurs. Archer linked with Bournemouth earlier. What kind of bid can we expect? 15-18 m£?

Yes, I'd expect something like that. 

10 hours ago, thabucks said:

Dwight Gayle was a great finisher … he isn’t good enough for where we are and aiming to stay simple ! He’s a lower half prem player at best and needs to be sold imo - he won’t make it here 

Im sorry but thats not a good comparison at all. Id say archer is more like defoe than gayle

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im sorry but thats not a good comparison at all. Id say archer is more like defoe than gayle

Why cause he’s short ? Gayle was great finisher but all round game was poor - fell in the bracket of too good for the championship not good enough for the premier league. He isn’t a top 8 quality player and never will be 

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Why cause he’s short ? Gayle was great finisher but all round game was poor - fell in the bracket of too good for the championship not good enough for the premier league. He isn’t a top 8 quality player and never will be 

But i dont think archers all round game is poor. I think there are areas in which yes he needs to improve on but i think archer will be able to do more and play at a higher level than gayle has in his career

• Like 2

Getting some unfair stick I think. When he was banging them in for Boro people couldn't wait for him to get back and shine under Emery.

Looks to me like its a combination of just not fitting into our system and not being good enough for a top 4/6 team.

He'll leave and have a decent career, but not at the level we're currently at

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Getting some unfair stick I think. When he was banging them in for Boro people couldn't wait for him to get back and shine under Emery.

Looks to me like its a combination of just not fitting into our system and not being good enough for a top 4/6 team.

He'll leave and have a decent career, but not at the level we're currently at

A lot of people severely underestimate the difference between the PL and the championship IMO. 

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

A lot of people severely underestimate the difference between the PL and the championship IMO. 

A point I made about Solanke who never hit the ground running until last season and put up consistently poor numbers in the Prem. 

Archer can finish, but other aspects of his game aren’t there yet. There’s talent for sure. But he’s not going to get ahead of Ollie nor can play other positions across the line. 

Given the club gave him no official statement when he returned indicated that he’s not going to be here long term. 

anyone consider that in our first choice 11 he might actually do well? 

he was in a crap team last season and injured for large parts of the season

feels weird we've dismissed him as not good enough, not able to play in our system based on, pretty much nothing just conjecture and hot air. I don't know if he is someone we should keep, but I certainly don't know that he isn't good enough either.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

anyone consider that in our first choice 11 he might actually do well? 

he was in a crap team last season and injured for large parts of the season

feels weird we've dismissed him as not good enough, not able to play in our system based on, pretty much nothing just conjecture and hot air. I don't know if he is someone we should keep, but I certainly don't know that he isn't good enough either.

I really rate him but the one who has apparently decided he doesn’t fit our system is Emery, so have to trust that. If he goes to Bournemouth I am 100% confident he’ll get 10+ PL goals, and hope we have a sell-on % included.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â