Cameron Archer

Zatman

Very easily could've had two goals last night as the first one that was ruled out for offside was super tight. Seeing him pull out his traditional Archer celebration last night makes me think his confidence is on the mend after a really difficult season in a dreadful team.

I wanted to check out his stats on FBREF this morning to see how he was last season and it does make for interesting reading.

Only 42 shots all season and just 9 of them were on target (21%). That's atrocious, right?

Then I saw that his xG was just 5.5 from those 42 shots so it sounds like he was having to have a pop for anywhere because that team was just not creating good chances for him - which is clearly what he needs. His final goals tally was 4 so he did underperform slightly but that's quite common to see, even for top strikers.

I think we should give him a chance in the squad this season.

The makings are all there and he's still quite young. When Watkins was his age he'd just got a move to the Championship from Exeter.

It's not whether he is a good player or not it's more about whether he is good enough for a Champions League team. I think that's why we may look to sell both him and Durán and replace if possible.

Id be surprised if there wasn't suitors. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Vincenzo said:

You can’t teach finishing like he’s got, you’ve either got it or you haven’t…the rest of his game can be improved with good coaching 

This is where i am. And he clearly didn't get good coaching last season so that has stalled his development. Whether it's too late to teach him the Emery ways, not sure.

Watching g again that goal.  That was unbelievable work from him and the finish thats world class as thats not easy.

Archer is perfect for a counter attacking side.  He is different to ollie so i say for that reason alone lets keep him here. Under emery i think he could be brilliant 

Definitely reminds me of defoe

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Im sorry but why are we selling him? His finishing is unbelievable for his age. Get rid of duran and keep archer.

That was a fantastic finish and he really had two as the 1st wasnt off. You cant ignore that.

Makes no sense to me. Don't we have to have a quota of home grown players for the champions league squad?

Hes the perfect player to come off the bench and get you a goal. People talk about his all round game but natural finishers are priceless 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Makes no sense to me. Don't we have to have a quota of home grown players for the champions league squad?

Hes the perfect player to come off the bench and get you a goal. People talk about his all round game but natural finishers are priceless 

Exactly and im suprised we let kesler go for that reason alone.  Guessing we got ramsey archer JPB and maybe bogarde as homegrown young players ?

Right now, he’s a pretty good poacher. If his movement and reading of the game improves he’ll be great. His pressing game improves he’ll be fantastic. 

Hes got the natural stuff to be a top striker, he just needs to get smarter and faster with it all

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 2

If someone makes an offer for him, we sell.  If not, he stays.  We could do worse than bring him on to run at defenders tired legs.

Will depend on Duran of course, if he goes Archer is staying.

I think Archer is potentially class, I love him. But I think with a systems manager like Emery, they decide if someone fits or doesn’t fit their system - and he doesn’t seem to think Archer does. Maybe the lad can prove him wrong, that’s up to him… if not whoever buys him will be getting a really promising player.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Im sorry but why are we selling him? His finishing is unbelievable for his age. Get rid of duran and keep archer.

That was a fantastic finish and he really had two as the 1st wasnt off. You cant ignore that.

Because the other aspects of his game aren’t up to scratch. Unai doesn’t rate him clearly. 

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think one of the problems he has faced, and arguably even other young players.

Is that they don't really get a chance with a full strength team.

They usually get preseason or early cup games with a disjointed team and are judged off it.

I think you make a really significant point......Confidence is everything for a striker, and I think he needs to settle in to the first team setup, and feel wanted.

I feel is always being over judged, and always on the edge of being loaned out.....maybe he just needs a season, to feel apart of it all.

You can work somewhere, and still not feel a part of it.

Cam is not Ollie, and never will be.....he has different minerals, but I feel in certain games, he can come in and offer us something.

Having said that, with a one up front, he is not going to lead the line.....neither could other top players, with a similar style, they play off a front man.

He is a front man in a 4-4-2.

So we don't play that, but we could at times.

I think he has something for a 25 man squad, that no one else has got.....so for that reason, I would have him around for at least one season....and tell him, it's up to him.

I think he has done enough with us, to give him a season...and then revisit his position.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Because the other aspects of his game aren’t up to scratch. Unai doesn’t rate him clearly. 

Yeah but those parts can be coached. Being a goal scorer isnt easy to coach and thats the most vital skill you need as a striker

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â