Cameron Archer

Zatman

5 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Maybe it would’ve been different if Carlos wasn’t sent off, also Emery was trying to see how might Rogers do upfront and wether he’s a choice there?

Oh yeah def on the latter, that’s exactly what he was doing. I haven’t posted it on the Rogers thread but watching him it was clear he has it all in his locker but he’d need a lot of work to play there - just things like timing his runs (he kept being offside as he wasn’t coming from as deep, for example). So he might struggle slotting straight in for Watkins unless they focus on that.

I rate Archer and would happily have him as Watkins’ backup. But I just don’t think Emery agrees.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sne said:

Bournemouth supposedly interested.

I think if a good offer comes in for him we will sell him.

Although he has scored a couple he hasnt really impressed in pre season

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

I've always wanted Archer to come good and show he's PL level but last night his touch was awful and he gave the ball away multiple times (not the only one but still).  Also had a chance he could have hit first time but took a touch and had it nicked off him.   Sadly he really hasn't look like the right level in pre-season for me. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Thought he looked awful last night. Surely we can't sell him until we've bought a replacement. 

Honestly can’t see him playing much anyway mate. I’d let him go irrespective of any replacement. Truth is, he simply isn’t good enough for where we are/want to be. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Supervillan78

I still think he has something as BL said on commentary yesterday. His movement is good, he's a good finisher. I just wonder if that year at Sheff Utd has knocked his confidence a bit. He seems to be overthinking around the box, taking too many touches when he would usually get a shot away.

No doubt he will be off if we get a half decent offer but if he does stay it's important that he rediscovers a bit of confidence/form.

He is nowhere near good enough for us and needs to go for the sake of his own career. Needs to be playing week in week out and if he is doing that here then huge alarms bells should be ringing. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, macandally said:

Before anyone else can believe in you, you have to believe in yourself.  The tools are there with Archer, but I am not sure he believes it 

The confidence hit he'll have taken thanks to a relegated Sheffield United refusing to play him won't have helped.

I really really rated him before we sold him,  and was upset that we did. Sadly, I think that lost year has killed any hope he had of making it with us, and it's now a case of what might have been. Even if he gets the confidence back, he's still got too much to add to his game to be a good alternative to Watkins.

That said, I'd rather have him than noone. So if we do sell Duran, and can't sign a replacement, he has to stay. Throwing him on to grab a last minute goal is his best hope of getting game time, and we'd be better off making use of that than having no sub striker.

• Like 1

Archer actually did okay at Sheffield United, better than I was expecting at Premier League level, I don't think it will have hit his confidence, he isn't a worse player now than he was last summer, if anything he's probably better for the Premier League game time he got

But also he's very unlikely to be wanted by us, before you even get to whether he's good enough, as a player he doesn't really suit our team, he can't do the Watkins or Duran role, he's better off as a wide forward or a second striker, which is in fact where he's played most of his career, academy and first team, and there's no room for him in our team in that positon either

He was always very likely to leave this summer, regardless of how he did in pre-season, I suspect some club will make a bid, maybe it feels like they won't just because there hasn't been rumours, but the kind of clubs likely to buy him will probably leave it late to save on wages, but even if there are no bids, I think we would then just loan him out, let him have a good season, and get some money in January or next summer

Only scenario I could perhaps see him staying is if we replace Diaby and Duran with just one player, and that player is more like Diaby than Duran, or more of a second striker than a main striker, and then maybe in that situation we would keep Archer as an option to fall back on, but I don't think it would be fair on him or good for his development, would bring to my mind when we used to keep Davis around but hardly used him

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

We need to move him on again, won't add value this season and we don't want the cost of keeping him.

Though we did just buy a 22 year striker on a 4 year deal for £9m. He needs to show us he’s worth £2m a year in amortisation fee plus his wages. 

If he is loaned out, we need the amortisation and wages covered at the minimum.

Needing game time for his development is something I disagree with. Many strikers from academy's at the top level of the Prem just stick around "too long" but still end up leaving for big money in their mid-twenties and have a good career afterwards. I'm thinking of the likes of Welbeck, Nketiah, Origi, Iheanacho, Batshuayi, Aneobi. Not all of those are good examples granted but they were mostly back ups that went on to play regular football at a high level.

It's selfish or delusional maybe but I don't think Archer will learn more by playing most weeks over what he could learn by staying put in such a high level squad and coaching environment. 

He looked a real prospect here until we sold him. Just dont think he wants to stay here tbh and i dont think emery wants to keep him.

So probably best to part ways. But we are in a bit of awkward position with duran so i cant see both going

Cameron can definitely provide value for Villa, best option we have if we sell Duran and don't buy a new forward.

He makes great runs, and we know he is great in finishing opportunities (just needs to hit a purple path).

I hope he stays and saves us 30m.

• Like 1

In the last game, if he had played with that starting 11 in the entire game he would have scored in 90 minutes guarantee, but changing all players and playing half them out of position meant he had no chance. In the US he has been our biggest threat, which isn't saying much as we were so awful during the entire tour.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

He looked a real prospect here until we sold him. Just dont think he wants to stay here tbh and i dont think emery wants to keep him.

So probably best to part ways. But we are in a bit of awkward position with duran so i cant see both going

Archer is too one dimensional 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â