Cameron Archer

Zatman

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I kinda hope we don't keep him, for him as much as us. 

He won't play, I guess that's the first thing; for me, he's not going to spend his career playing in a top half Premier league team. He'll be a star in the Championship that struggles to make the right impact in the top division and I don't think he's anywhere near being suitable as a practical back up for Watkins. If we were to keep him, it'd be for one thing only and that would be his homegrown status, which wouldn't be fair on the player, we'd be robbing him of a year of his career just to meet a quota.

I don't think we'll do that, I think we'll let him go, either to newly promoted side or a 'big' Championship team, preferably on a permanent deal but perhaps on another loan if we can't make the numbers add up.

His PSR status is peculiar and I can't pretend to understand it: when we sold him to Sheffield United he was pure PSR profit I guess, but in coming back to us, I'd imagine he's now a more regular amortised fee. I've no idea what we paid Sheffield United for him under the conditions of the deal between us and them and I'm guessing we wouldn't need a big price to make a profit, but it's a little bit grey.

If we resigned him for £14m (which I assume we did) on a 4 year deal he'll cost us £3.5m per season in Amortisation + whatever wages he's on. If we sell him for £14m it's net zero cost for us on the books as his book value right now is £14m.

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If we resigned him for £14m (which I assume we did) on a 4 year deal he'll cost us £3.5m per season in Amortisation + whatever wages he's on. If we sell him for £14m it's net zero cost for us on the books as his book value right now is £14m.

Which I think will be difficult. We've been left holding the baby a bit here I think.

Did we book £15m for him as profit when we sold him? If so, then I guess at least any loss we make will still be a net gain, even though the gain is now gone and the loss will be on the current books.

I guess maybe on that basis we loan him out and hope that we can find someone willing to pay £10.5m next summer or £7m the summer after.

To do that I think we need to loan him somewhere he can shine, somewhere we know he can get games in a team that can do well and where he can score goals - so not the Premier league. Blackburn, Coventry, Boro, Norwich, West Brom maybe?

He's one of them strikers that if given the service will score loads but can't really impose himself on the game in any other way.

Put him in a top team in the Championship he will score bucket loads but when they get promoted and all of sudden don't dominate games he will struggle. Reminds me of Dwight Gayle a bit. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Which I think will be difficult. We've been left holding the baby a bit here I think.

Did we book £15m for him as profit when we sold him? If so, then I guess at least any loss we make will still be a net gain, even though the gain is now gone and the loss will be on the current books.

I guess maybe on that basis we loan him out and hope that we can find someone willing to pay £10.5m next summer or £7m the summer after.

To do that I think we need to loan him somewhere he can shine, somewhere we know he can get games in a team that can do well and where he can score goals - so not the Premier league. Blackburn, Coventry, Boro, Norwich, West Brom maybe?

I think he's worth £14m or more. He's got a full PL season under his belt and suffered under a change of manager at Sheffield United. He had 0.41 xG+xAG per 90 which is good (he ranked 3rd for his team last season with top being on 0.51). He has very high progressive carries and successful take ons which added to his raw pace means he has the talent if he's used in the right team. He's also young and can still improve. 

I don't think it's a big issue us resigning him as he's still got a market value and links to Bournemouth and Southampton are what I would expect. Interest from PL clubs, he may not be top of lists but he's in lists and as they move on to 2nd and 3rd targets during summer he'll get a move. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think he's worth £14m or more. He's got a full PL season under his belt and suffered under a change of manager at Sheffield United. He had 0.41 xG+xAG per 90 which is good (he ranked 3rd for his team last season with top being on 0.51). He has very high progressive carries and successful take ons which added to his raw pace means he has the talent if he's used in the right team. He's also young and can still improve. 

I don't think it's a big issue us resigning him as he's still got a market value and links to Bournemouth and Southampton are what I would expect. Interest from PL clubs, he may not be top of lists but he's in lists and as they move on to 2nd and 3rd targets during summer he'll get a move. 

I hope you're right!

48 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

His tag has changed... but I've not seen an announcement that he's rejoined? Wonder if we'll announce it like a normal signing?

I assume it will just be a 'Cameron Archer has re-joined from Sheffield United' twitter job. Doubt there will be a big announcement. If he's close to leaving again they just won't announce anything. 

58 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'd be happily surprised if we get anywhere near/over £10m for him.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think anyone knows the actual fees, but it seems the consensus is that we sold him to Sheffield United for £18m - and that will all be profit.

If we have him back for £14m (again, this seems to be the ball park being reported), and again assume a 4-year deal - then he'll cost us £3.5m a year of amortisation across those 4 years.

Given recent fees - I'd like to this we could recover the £14m, and maybe a bit more.
We may have to be patient, as the market hasn't really got going yet, except for us and one or 2 other clubs.
The relegated clubs are usually a good option for this sort of deal, but I doubt any of the 3 would be interested this time, which is a shame. Maybe Leeds from the previous season, given they've made some money, but they need to cut costs I believe.
I do think he'll get a PL move to a bottom 8 team. 

Â