Cameron Archer

Zatman

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

If Duran goes, would Archer be considered as suitable back up to Watkins?

Don't think so.

He's not got the physicality for top PL football IMO.

Not quick enough over 5 yards. Not canny enough to make it work around that.

I think he'll score a lot of professional goals and have a very good career.

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

So as it currently stands, he's back as a Villa player with us having bought him from Sheffield United for £8m on a 2-4 year contract???

Is that right?

I think we bought him for 14m on a 4 year deal having sold him for 18.5m. However it's unclear exactly the terms

We sold him for £9m, if Sheffield United had have avoided relegation that figure would have risen to £18m

The buyback is simply reimbursing them their money back - so in effect the transfer was more like a loan

But Sheffield United won't have paid the full £9m because that isn't how transfers work, they would have only paid the first installment

Which I think was around £4m, so in real terms that's what we would have paid to bring him back

I think he is worth more to us in the squad than what he'd be worth in the transfer market.  I don't think we can sign a better squad striker who would be happy to be 2nd or 3rd choice off the bench that is as good a finisher as Cam for the money we'd get for him. 

Edited by CosmicVillan

6 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

I think he is worth more to us in the squad than what he'd be worth in the transfer market.  I don't think we can sign a better squad striker who would be happy to be 2nd or 3rd choice off the bench that is as good a finisher as Cam for the money we'd get for him. 

I don't think so. He's too limited. 

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Would it be better to loan him out to the Championship and sell him next year once his spent a season banging them in and raising his value again?

Doubt it, needs to show more in the PL otherwise you wouldn't get more than £10-12 million anyway.

43 minutes ago, ender4 said:

So as it currently stands, he's back as a Villa player with us having bought him from Sheffield United for £8m on a 2-4 year contract???

Is that right?

Has the buyback gone through yet? Not sure Villa have announced anything

43 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't think so. He's too limited. 

And you don't think Emery can work with him to make him better all round ? He's already got the bit can't teach in his locker.

1 minute ago, CosmicVillan said:

And you don't think Emery can work with him to make him better all round ? He's already got the bit can't teach in his locker.

I don't think he has enough of a baseline to work with. He's not particularly fast, strong, skilful, aerially dominant or with strong technical attributes i.e. dribbling, passing etc.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

Part of Emery's armoury will be evaluating who he thinks he can improve to a standard to support the first team or move on to hopefully profit the club. We'll soon see what Emery thinks of Archer in that respect.

1 hour ago, useless said:

We sold him for £9m, if Sheffield United had have avoided relegation that figure would have risen to £18m

The buyback is simply reimbursing them their money back - so in effect the transfer was more like a loan

But Sheffield United won't have paid the full £9m because that isn't how transfers work, they would have only paid the first installment

Which I think was around £4m, so in real terms that's what we would have paid to bring him back

But then doesn't some of the amorisation cost from selling him have to be taken away in that case? Probably another reason why Luiz is being sold for less than he's worth.

10 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

He got exposed in the Premier League.  Doesn’t quite have the speed and strength for this level from what I saw of him at Sheffield United 

Yep, he's a championship player.  a modest fee to a top championship club hopefully

2 hours ago, useless said:

I was thinking more in terms of PSR.  If we've bought him back for £9m on a four-year contract, that's at £2.25m a year.  Might as well keep him in the squad (assuming Unai thinks he has potential) as he's homegrown and could play a decent sub role over the season as our players get tired come next Feb-May.

10 hours ago, duke313 said:

Yep, he's a championship player.  a modest fee to a top championship club hopefully

He's a very good championship player too. Will score lots of goals, bit like Adam Armstrong. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Suprised no one has come in for him yet. Would have thought there would have been alot of interest in him.

One of the relegated clubs or leeds? He is a very good championship striker so you would imagine a lot of interest tgere. Just hope it wont be another loan. Would rather keep him here than loan him again

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Suprised no one has come in for him yet. Would have thought there would have been alot of interest in him.

One of the relegated clubs or leeds? He is a very good championship striker so you would imagine a lot of interest tgere. Just hope it wont be another loan. Would rather keep him here than loan him again

Too expensive for Championship teams to pay. He'd cost £14m+ I'd say there's a chance PL clubs interested but more towards end of the window. 

On 13/06/2024 at 12:57, CosmicVillan said:

I am not sure he has the football IQ of say a Diego jota....who finds pockets and looks for runs behind, always offering himself for the through ball.

Cam has talent, but is not what I call a constant threat, like a Vardy, who's effervescent nature, was/is his forte and his predatory nature of playing on the shoulder of the last man, for the runs behind.

Cam is liable to drift, in to a zone, where he is expecting service, as opposed to demanding it, or encouraging it, by his positional play.

There are many forwards like Cam, who appear happy to drift through games, in a kind of somnolent fashion....until a decent ball comes his way.

He is a tidy finisher, but not sure his build up or probing play is good enough, for our level.

His game lends itself to "moments" in a game.....where as we want players, who are "constant threats".

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â