Cameron Archer

Zatman

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

We have Watkins, Duran and Diaby (theoretically) for 1 position in the team.  That's fine, really.

With the amount of games we potentially have I don’t think it’s fine at all. We’re an injury away from struggling, if it’s Ollie then we’re dropping a full season of expectations on Duran. We need another 

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

With the amount of games we potentially have I don’t think it’s fine at all. We’re an injury away from struggling, if it’s Ollie then we’re dropping a full season of expectations on Duran. We need another 

We're dropping a full season on Diaby and Duran.  Our two backup strikers.

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We have Watkins, Duran and Zaniolo for Striker position. I don't know if Emery is happy with that or wants another forward in

They aren’t recognised out and out strikers. An injury to Ollie leaves on Duran as a recognised striker - both Diaby and Zaniolo aren’t strikers in the traditional sense when we need them for other roles too. 

• Thanks 1

If they relegate then they have a great striker to fire them back up…he does have a lot of similarities to billy sharp, we have done really well to get over 50 million for Ramsey, archer and chukwumeka. 

okay bidace and davies are leaving on the cheap, but we get a massive FFP boost and still have buy back clauses on 3/5 of those players so if it suits us we can get them back after they have blossomed….we are WINNING!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

We have Watkins, Duran and Diaby (theoretically) for 1 position in the team.  That's fine, really.

It's not, really.

In his final full season at Villarreal when they made it to the semi-final of the Champions League, he had 4 recognised centre-forwards: Nicolas Jackson, Boulaye Dia, Gerard Moreno and Paco Alacer.  As well as those 4 he had: Yeremy Pino, Chukwueze, Danjuma and Moi Gomez. In total 8 attackers

We have 2 recognised centre forwards: Watkins and Duran. As well as wider forwards: Diaby, Bailey and Traore. Only 5 attackers.  We are a bit light up front IMO.

We could do with another wide player and a centre forward.

Edit: Forgot Zaniolo so 6.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

It's not, really.

In his final full season at Villarreal when they made it to the semi-final of the Champions League, he had 4 recognised centre-forwards: Nicolas Jackson, Boulaye Dia, Gerard Moreno and Paco Alacer.  As well as those 4 he had: Yeremy Pino, Chukwueze, Danjuma and Moi Gomez. In total 8 attackers

We have 2 recognised centre forwards: Watkins and Duran. As well as wider forwards: Diaby, Bailey and Traore. Only 5 attackers.  We are a bit light up front IMO.

This is exactly my point. If we have to play one of the above when Ollie is injured we have gaps in the squad with players that are either not good enough or consistent enough. Having an experienced striker will ease the pressure on Ollie and Jhon. It makes total sense. 

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

It's not, really.

The striker role is 1 position in our team.  We have 2 players who naturally play there and then at least 1 more player who could play there if needed.  Zaniolo is also an attacking player and, despite being injured, Buendia isn't dead and is part of the squad.

Not out of the question that we try and bring in backup, but I'm not worried at all if we don't.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Would Coutinho, Ramsey and/or Tielemans count as attacking players?

Just now, ender4 said:

Would Coutinho, Ramsey and/or Tielemans count as attacking players?

Coutinho possibly, but he could be injured for a while and might be sold.  Ramsey, could probably play there in an emergency but his position is on the left.  Tielemans, no.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Duran is better physically equipped to hold the ball up.....as well as his huge burst of pace.....more like Ollie's style.

Cam is more a fox in the box, a bit more like Billy Sharp....could work out well for all parties.

This is key for me, if all you offer is the ability to finish chances I don't think thats enough in todays game. Cam might be the best finisher at the club but he's behind Watkins and Duran, you have to be able to contribute elsewhere and his hold up play, ability to win headers and battle defenders is lacking. A few times Preston and Boro fans said that he was quiet because they couldn't create chances for him.

I think he'd be much more suited in the Italian league or developing himself as a wide forward.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The striker role is 1 position in our team.  We have 2 players who naturally play there and then at least 1 more player who could play there if needed.  Zaniolo is also an attacking player and, despite being injured, Buendia isn't dead and is part of the squad.

Not out of the question that we try and bring in backup, but I'm not worried at all if we don't.

It was the same setup he used at Villarreal, and he had 4 centre forwards and 4 wide players for the front two positions. 

If we have to play Diaby up front instead of Watkins for whatever reason, then we don't have Diaby to play where Diaby plays.

Buendia is out for the season, so no point discussing him.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Curious if this is a smart FFP deal with a buyback, a player-driven deal (“I want to be first choice now”) or Emery simply doesn’t rate him.

I guess time will tell.

I think it’s a question of he’s not going to get game time and a loan doesn’t make financial sense. Better to get some money in and the incentive is on Cam to prove himself to Unai if he wants to come back. Duran ahead of Cam probably reflects the current pecking order for Unai. 

Just now, duke313 said:

It was the same setup he used at Villarreal, and he had 4 centre forwards and 4 wide players for the front two positions. 

If we have to play Diaby up front instead of Watkins for whatever reason, then we don't have Diaby to play where Diaby plays.

At points against Everton, Watkins was playing on the left with Diaby central and Bailey on the right.  At times, Diaby and Bailey doubled up on the right and Watkins was central.

When Buendia played last season, it was generally as a tucked-in attacking midfielder on the left (same position that Ramsey took up), with Watkins as a central forward and Bailey (generally) on the right.  We play 3 forwards, sometimes 2, and have a current pool of Watkins, Duran, Diaby, Bailey, Traore plus youngsters to take up those 3 or 2 positions.  We then have Buendia (crocked for the season), Zaniolo and Ramsey for the slightly deeper attacking role if we played 2 further forward.  It's essentially 8 players for 3 positions with an unforunate injury to Buendia.

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Disagree; you have to factor in his wages and his eventual return. This probably makes loans more likely than purchases (maybe it was a factor in the way the Zaniolo deal was structured?). 

More relevant is that Buendia is not a striker, so isn't particularly relevant for discussion about squad depth in that position. 

Overall, I think it would be very sub-optimal if we had to play the likes of Zaniolo or Diaby most advanced as they aren't really very similar to Watkins, but I suspect we won't get a more direct replacement for Watkins for financial reasons. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

They aren’t recognised out and out strikers. An injury to Ollie leaves on Duran as a recognised striker - both Diaby and Zaniolo aren’t strikers in the traditional sense when we need them for other roles too. 

If we lose Watkins for a prolonged period yes we've an issue. I do think Zaniolo though has a lot of same attributes as Watkins with pace and height. Emery will give him minutes at 9 this season I'm pretty confident on that. 

So if Watkins got Injured in Feb Zaniolo would be able to cover. If it was in Sept we'd be worried

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â