Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Pretty much in control for the whole game with over 60% possession but only 4 shots on target tells the story.

Both sides seemed a little devoid of confidence and our final ball/pass was very disappointing. The last twenty or so was better but we didn’t really cut them open enough.

There is enough attacking players in squad to be better but as I’ve said previously our final ball was poor or we preferred to play the safe pass.

we didn’t concede which is good but with some tough fixtures to come a win would have been good for confidence here. 

That was very poor, in what was a must win game and our most winnable game of the season so far, nowhere near good enough.

If we lose to Manchester City next week, which we almost certainly will do, then for me it will have been a worse start than last season, last season our first five were against five of top six, we had injuries and suspensions to our most important players, and a very small squad, this time around we've had winnable fixtures, and a much better squad in terms of quality and quantity to choose from, we shoud have done much better than two points, last season we got four points from the same fixtures

Was a must win because we haven't won yet and frankly needed to get it over and done with, and the longer that goes on the more difficult a win will be to come by, as it starts to play on the players' minds, very easy to lose confidence and get drawn into a bad run, and also because it's Manchester City away next week and then the week after that an international break, and then we've got Liverpool and Manchester United

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Liverpool aren't actually that great, overachieved last season, and were made to look better than they were by Manchester United having poor season, they probably have a weaker squad now too, so in theory that should be a winnable game if we play as well as we have done in previous games, and take our chances, but that's two big ifs, if we play like we did today will probably lose

And really we need to beat Liverpool, as them and Palace the two most winnabe from our next five, the other three are Manchester City, Manchestere United, and Arsenal, all away, so if we don't beat them then might be looking at one win from the first nine, and that's if we beat Palace

This why the home draws to Leicester and Spurs were so disappointing, now feels like we're already playing catch-up, and need some unlikely results to do so, something we need to start doing anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

These lot lost to Palace last week, it's not good enough. 

City next so no wins in 5 to start the season for a 2nd year. Really disappointing. No conviction in our play at all today.

I think that's the difference. Last season was a really tough fixture run for first 5-6 IIRC. People were disappointed in losing to Liverpool away early on but they had a really good season in the end. There were also close games and late losses to likes of Chelsea and Man. City.

Today was a very winnable game as was Spurs and Brighton. Two points from those three isn't good enough if you want to finish even 5th given Arsenal will improve eventually.

I don't think you can fault the club in terms of transfers and penny pinching as there's been plenty of big name international players signed since promotion. Not sure if Robert de Pauw was a great pick to replace Carla, 5th and 6th finishes with Bayer Leverkusen women dosen't really hint at a manager capable of overachieving tbh.

Jordan Nobbs feels a bit of a Coutinho signing tbh, more for brand and marketing given her status as long serving lioness. Had some bad injuries in last five years so not the force she was.

If the timing was right I'd try and get Matt Beard in. Done very good work at pretty much all the clubs he's managed and currently getting Liverpool punching above their weight in the WSL after promotion but was more likely the previous summer when he was at Bristol City women.

Edited by VillaChris

De Pauw job won't be under threat yet, we're only four games into the season, no wins, but the two defeats have come against a Chelsea team that will beat most teams, and if not for the ref we may well have got something from Brighton, performances for the most part have been good and much improved too, we need some wins asap, but it hasn't been all bad

Matt Beard is kind of like a women's football version of a Bruce type, in terms of style of play, defensive with a lot of long balls, plays three at the back too so won't suit our squad

If De Pauw doesn't work out I think we're likely to bring Ward back, we didn't want her to leave in the first place, did a lot to try and convince her to stay, and she berself has said she would open to returning around Christmas time, but a long way to go before it gets to that

• Thanks 1

It's infuriating because in our general play we're better than most of the teams we've played so far, we just can't score or play a final ball if our life depended on it.

At least we kept a clean sheet for once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andycappa said:

Watched the game today and women’s football is and this game was beyond woeful how people pay good money to watch that crap is beyond me, 

Because you support your team. They need the support to grow and get better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, andycappa said:

Watched the game today and women’s football is and this game was beyond woeful how people pay good money to watch that crap is beyond me, 

Arsenal-Chelsea was a good watch yesterday. Ultimately there's a huge gulf between the top end of WSL and bottom teams and I'm afraid we're regressing into that bottom 3-4 after a good one two seasons ago.

Safe to say we're decades away from a women's game ever being priced from £85 but ultimately it does represent very good value to bring families and introduce your kids to sport in a friendly atmosphere.

We won't be anywhere near the bottom two or three in relegation fight, or top four, we're one of the inbetween clubs, who are much of a muchness, and as such top six, which was stated aim still very much a possibility to me, we're only three points off fifth now, seven points behind Brighton but they've had easier fixtures and were helped by ref against us, we were seven points behind Leicester after the same amount of games last season, and still finished ahead of them

I think it's important to not get this season conflated with last season too much, yes results have been poor, but in every other way we look a lot better than last season, it doesn't feel the same, results don't reflect it, but for the most part we've played well, and a lot of our players are looking back to their best, this season feels like we're close to being a good team, just isolated moments in games costing us, if we can fix that results will improve

• Like 1

Really poor performance that smacked of players suffocating amongst an over-tactical style that places keeping possession over doing anything with that possession. Monotonous 20-30 passes to get 50 yards down the pitch which will never end well with a squad like ours. The coach seems to be a bit of a disaster so far !

Watch the simple, dynamic, fluency of the top WSL sides then watch Villa ..... we are heading in the wrong direction in every sense !  

• Like 1

Feels like De Pauw is still trying to find his starting XI. I'd start a fit Leat over D'Angelo and have Leon starting. I kind of agree though, we're playing too much football and not kicking the ball enough.

2 hours ago, villaajax said:

Feels like De Pauw is still trying to find his starting XI. I'd start a fit Leat over D'Angelo and have Leon starting. I kind of agree though, we're playing too much football and not kicking the ball enough.

Leat hasn’t been fit so far this season to even start a game and I don’t think there is any issue with D’Angelo personally. Our GK isn’t the issue. I don’t think De Pauw knows his best outfield team yet? They need to understand his ideas and/or he needs to quickly understand his squad. There is plenty of quality in the squad but we’re just not seeing the best of them at present. That problem could be down to De Pauw, who knows?

There's a lot of energy in the team, but not much creativity (summed up in the first five minutes of the game against Leicester when a good, direct passing move led to Grant near Leicester's right byline hitting a diagonal ball into the box to... no one—Daly had come near-post and could do nothing with a ball played behind her. it was like 'pattern or training-ground thinking' rather than a weighing up of the specifics and adjusting). Villa are fairly stocked with strong players who can impose themselves and chase and harry and all that, but who have they got who can distribute creatively, who has the composure and close control to be able to hang onto the ball for that second or two longer and pick out the lesser-anticipated pass? Daly possesses the quick reading to seize on that sort of stuff, but she's being let down by telegraphed/loosely hit passes. (This could very well be her final season with Villa, and she deserves better. She continues to maintain her form well, while that of players aged similarly to her is dropping away.) Villa's forward game—medium-long passes being struck at and having to be collected at high tempo—currently represents a practical demonstration of 'hit and miss'. It remains to be seen what Jill Baijings will bring; she's a natural left-footer who can hit a good, strong shot, which will be very welcome, but I think the WSL is a more demanding league than the Frauen Bundesliga.

Freya Gregory, Missy Bo Kearns, and Katie Robinson have been named in the England U23 squad

Four players that came through our academy, McLoughlin, Blindkilde, Missy Goodwin, and Isobel Goodwin, are also in

Destiny Grant is the Netherlands squad

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â