Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Obviously a De Pauw signing.  I can't quite work out whether Chasity was in the Dutch U17 team when de Pauw was their manager - it looks like she moved to the U19 team at a very similar time.  Even so you'd imagine that he will have known her from the national set-up.  I suspect we'll sign a couple more players who have come through the Dutch youth set-up so there could be some exciting deals in the pipeline.

I'm really confused as to why Skysports feel in necessary on their transfer live blog page thingy to lump both the mens and womens transfers together.

https://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/31771/12476234/transfer-centre-live-latest-updates-on-julian-alvarez-marc-guehi-and-scott-mctominay

image.png.9e3b254d34a257ce7450aa1289d80430.png

It's so confusing for the casual scroller to see the Villa badge, with the heading "Aston Villa sign Ajax's Grant". Could they not have a separate page for WSL?

I got all excited thinking we'd signed a Diaby replacement or something but no, it's the womens team. Now before anyone jumps on me, I really have no issue whatsoever with womens football, even though it isn't something I follow that closely, but it's not the first time I've been casually scrolling and got a little excited.

Wasn't expecting another winger, but then again makes sense with the players that have left, and now gives us two options for each of the three attacking positions, with Mullett being an additional younger option, or we now have more scope to send her out on loan if we feel that's what she needs. Don't know anything about Chasity Grant herself, but won everything with Ajax, U23 player just breaking into her national team - which has been the profile for all our outfield signings this summer, and her goal and assist stats look impressive, so seems another good signing

I wouldn't be surprised if that was it for new signings, 24 in the squad now, I think 25 is the limit, but PGA players don't count, if Mullett and Poor qualify as such, then in theory we could sign another three more without selling, but as it stands we're in a position where without injuries we would have to leave four of our players out of a match day squad, a position we've never been in before

Ideally would have been good to bring in another defender, I thought someone like Naomi Layzell or Neve Herron, might fit the profile of the signings we've been making, but with Corsie, Turner, Patten, Parker, and Martiz who can also play there, as well as Sallaway coming through, I'm not sure we will sign another now, I did see someone point out that if De Pauw plays Parker at the back that will be a kind of new defender, as Ward never actually played her there, which is true I guess

Then again I wasn't expecting us to sign another attacker and then we signed Chasity Grant, so who knows

5 minutes ago, useless said:

I wouldn't be surprised if that was it for new signings, 24 in the squad now, I think 25 is the limit, but PGA players don't count, if Mullett and Poor qualify as such, then in theory we could sign another three more without selling, but as it stands we're in a position where without injuries we would have to leave four of our players out of a match day squad, a position we've never been in before

Ideally would have been good to bring in another defender, I thought someone like Naomi Layzell or Neve Herron, might fit the profile of the signings we've been making, but with Corsie, Turner, Patten, Parker, and Martiz who can also play there, as well as Sallaway coming through, I'm not sure we will sign another now, I did see someone point out that if De Pauw plays Parker at the back that will be a kind of new defender, as Ward never actually played her there, which is true I guess

Then again I wasn't expecting us to sign another attacker and then we signed Chasity Grant, so who knows

You are much more clued up on this topic than me - but De Pauw's background very much seems to be on giving younger players their break and he's likely to know a lot of the younger Dutch players coming through.  Do you think that's a market that we can exploit?  As in it is probably harder to sign the next British based star as they'll already be looking at signing for the bigger women's teams.  Whereas maybe Dutch players will see playing in England as a big draw (similar to the men's game) and so we might just have more of a draw - especially with any players that were involved in the youth international set-up?

We've  already brought in a few Dutch youngsters, Chasity Grant and Jill Bayings, albeit Baying is only here on loan, but it's a market we're looking at, we've also been able to bring in a few top British players, Robinson and Bo Kearns, so we're looking at both, as well as elsewhere, Paula has come from Spain and has a similar profile to the others. But yes if De Pauw does well, Dutch market I would imagine will be something we will be exploring more in the future

On 05/08/2024 at 14:27, useless said:

From training video looks like we might have recruited a new young goalkeeper, no idea who it is though

Still don't know who it is, but she's with the U21s in Canada, there are also a few U16s which is good to see, and a promising sign for us, doen't look lie Ruby Rae Tucker is with them, so maybe a sign she's going to be more first team based, or at least in terms of training and preperation, same for Sallaway presumably, although she's with one of the England age group squads at the moment

Still haven't seen anything from us about the first team's pre-season, everything has come from other clubs, all I've seen is that we've got friendlies against Liverpol, Everton and Charlton, I think they're over the next three weekends, but presumably we will have other games beside those

The new goalkeeper mentioned above is Soffia Kelly, and we've signed her from Barry Town, she's a Wales U19 international and was called up to their full senior squad earlier this year whilst still only sixteen, she's seventeen now, so will be on some sort of academy contract. Seems like she's overcome some issues with bullying, there's a short program on Iplayer that tells some of her story, I haven't watched the whole thing, but at the end it says she had an unsuccesful trial with us, but since it broadcast we obviously changed our mind, so well done to her, and hopefully enjoys her time with us, she's on the right trajectory by the sound of things

Edited by useless

Pre-season schedule has been confirmed, we're playing Liverpool, Real Betis, Charlton, Everton, and Manchester City, Betis game is part of a week away in Spain.

• Like 1

Beat Liverpool 1-0 away today in first official friendly of pre-season, Salmon with the goal after Kearns shot was blocked. There's now a report on the official site

Edited by useless

U21s just won their final game of Canada tour 2-0, good to see after they lost the previous two, they were the better team in both, just gave away a few soft goals, pre-season rustiness I guess, and could't take chances, not taking chances was almost the story of today's game, was 1-0 until injury time, but we could have scored many more than that, the goals we did score game from nice flick on the line after corner from Apuusi-Tchassem here and then goal for Donnison after great work from Maltby on the left here

Rachel Maltby was probaby the standout, has the ability but also the composure to go with it, and brilliant running with the ball, you can see why she's trained with the first team squad this summer, and is first choice left-back for a very good England U17 team, the above mentioned  Apuusi-Tchassem also looks very dangerous and skillful, as does the other winger Lakeisha Phipps, MIlly Round had lots of moments of nice play, you can see why she's been involved with England, Olivia Lowe looked a good modern style defender, very comfortable on the ball, and good passer, and the two U16s were probably the two standouts on the pitch today alongside Maltby, both look brilliant prospects

On 10/08/2024 at 11:48, useless said:

Ideally would have been good to bring in another defender, I thought someone like Naomi Layzell or Neve Herron, might fit the profile of the signings we've been making

That won't be happening, she's signed for Manchester City

I wonder if Ruby Rae Tucker is going to get a pro deal, turned eighteen earlier this year, has been in all the training pictures and videos with the first team, has gone to Marbella with the first team rather than Canada with the U21s.

Leon and D'Angelo back with the squad after the olympics, but no sign of Dali, can't see Bayings either, I think she must be injured, as hasn't been in any of the recent training photos and wasn't involved against Liverpool

42 minutes ago, useless said:

Leon and D'Angelo back with the squad after the olympics, but no sign of Dali, can't see Bayings either, I think she must be injured, as hasn't been in any of the recent training photos and wasn't involved against Liverpool

Apparently Dali was spotted at an Angel City game so she's either still in holiday and just watching or a potential deal. All speculation anyway.

It did cross my mind she could leave, was going to go back to France when she left Everton, but Ward convinced her to give it one more try in England, which obviously worked out very well for her, but then not so much last season, and she didn't quite seem herself, some speculated that her penalty being saved at World Cup badly affected her confidence, we've now got a lot of competition in her postion, I guess we will see

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â