Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Poor is a big signing for us, not just becaue she's a top prospect, but it wouldn't have been a good look at all if we'd have signed one of the best young players in country last summer and then lost her a year later, a player like that you sign if you know for sure they're going to sign a pro-deal as soon as old enough, have it pre-agreed, and after losing Evie Rabjohn, Blindkilde, and McCloughlin within the last year, important to show we're not losing all our top young players

I watched her at the U17s Euros last summer and she was one of the standouts, despite young age, and even more so for a keeper, you could tell she was already capable of being part of a first team squad, when she announced she was leaving Leicester, I was expecting she would end up at one of the top four, so of course was happy to see it was us who she had signed for.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to sign one or two of a similar profile this summer, players that can be part of the squad, and with potential to become big players, Ria Bose and Daisy Hind have recently left Chelsea, with De Pauw maybe we will look at a few Dutch youngsters, I thought Wieke Kaptein who he brought through at Twente might be an option, but then saw she already signed for Chelsea

2 hours ago, useless said:

Dali starting for France against Canada, she scored a cracking goal against Columbia, hopefully has a good tournament and gets some confidence back, when in form she's not only one of our best players, but one of the best players in the WSL Leon on the bench for Canada, which is perhaps surprising, as I think she's scored around ten goals for them this calendar year, and has also been nominated as Concacaf player of the year, in other words it would seem she's been one of their better players, maybe carrying a slight injury

Canada win 2-1, France scored the first goal, assisted by Dali, and she was arguably best player on the pitch first half, dictating play, second half Canada brought on Leon and she seemed to make a difference, played a part in the equalizer as slide into try and connect to cross, which forced France keeper to rush out, but could only deflect it Canada player who scored, didn't see the winner, so no idea what if any part she played in that, came twelve minutes into injury time

Was wondering why Canadians were going wild at fulltime, as presumed nothing decided yet, turns out they had been deducted six points and their manager suspened for a year, owing to spying on other teams with a drone, so needed to win to stay in with a chance of qualification, France players including Dali looked distraught, but they should still qualify, as last game is against New Zealand

Edited by useless

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

Did we stop or reduce our investment in the women's team? Seemed we were on a real upward trajectory a couple of years ago. 

It does feel a bit like that. Or maybe we just got lucky that one season, and now have reverted back to being lower mid-table?

• Like 1

We've just signed England and Spanish internationals, not many caps but they're young prospects, both players that it wouldn't have been a surprise to see go to a top four club, Paula Tomás reportedly cost £100k, which by women's football standards is a big fee, and possibly our recording singing, we've also loaned in an Holland international from Bayern Munich, only a loan, but contracts are so short in women's football, I don't think it makes much difference, and I'm sure there will be more signings to come too, in addition we've appointed a manager with good pedigree, and have plans to improve Bodymoor Heath for the women's team

So there's lots more going on than just Van Domselaar leaving, as I seem to say have to point out every transfer window, players in the women's game move around more freely because of shorter contracts, and lower wages and transfer fees, all clubs, including the so called 'top four' lose some of their best players, and not just once every three or four seasons, Manchester clubs, Arsenal, and even Chelsea have all lost top players this summer

That we're losing the occasional top player now is arguably a good sign in the bigger picture, as it shows we now actually have top players to lose, whereas previously we did not, our only top players were in their thirties, so we were less likely to lose them, and before that with a few excpetions most of our squad was Championship quality, one of the natural consequences of our improvement over the last few years is that now we have a better squad, we're more likely to lose some of them, it's just the way it is in women's football, not just for us but for all teams

I think could be argued we've got a stronger team going into the season than we did going into last season, and certainly we have a far stronger squad as it stands than we had available for most of last season, and hopefully we've got a few more signings to come to strengthen us further

• Like 1

I don't know if D’Angelo is coming as No.1 or not, she had to have been good to get a move to Arsenal, and from what I've seen from their fans a lot of them rate her and thought she should have been used more, can't read too much into her only being No.2, as in women's football, even more so than mens football, the top clubs tend to hoard the better players. I'm not worried about that anway, has Leat as done well called upon, between the two of them I'm sure we will be fine, with one of England's top young keepers Sophia Poor also an option

• Like 1

Shame to lose her, but hopefully we got good money for her.

Last season was a mess, but we've got some new players in, and a new coach, so hopefully there's reason for optimism. We've got a decent squad on paper, so hopefully we can get back to giving the top teams a run for their money.

57 minutes ago, Villanbee said:

Shame to lose her, but hopefully we got good money for her.

Last season was a mess, but we've got some new players in, and a new coach, so hopefully there's reason for optimism. We've got a decent squad on paper, so hopefully we can get back to giving the top teams a run for their money.

There was some talk of a 200k release clause but not sure how accurate? I’m disappointed she’s leaving after one season but I don’t suppose we can compete with Arsenal Women at this point.

However, as you say there is plenty to be optimistic about with our squad.  I also like the fact that our league games will be played at Villa Park rather than Bescot this coming season. It’s a sure sign of our continued growth for this part of the club. The WSL is certainly growing at quite a pace now, so it’s good to be competitive and get new fans through the doors at Villa Park.

1 hour ago, useless said:

I don't know if D’Angelo is coming as No.1 or not, she had to have been good to get a move to Arsenal, and from what I've seen from their fans a lot of them rate her and thought she should have been used more, can't read too much into her only being No.2, as in women's football, even more so than mens football, the top clubs tend to hoard the better players. I'm not worried about that anway, has Leat as done well called upon, between the two of them I'm sure we will be fine, with one of England's top young keepers Sophia Poor also an option

It would be good if she emu(emi)lates the backup keeper we got from the Arsenal men's team a few years back

• Like 1

As it stands only seven players are contracted to us beyond next summer, basically, Patten, Martiz, Salmon, and the new permanent signings we've made this summer, a few others, Leat, Parker, Dali, and Hanson have the option of another year, Poor and Mullett contract lengths not published. so I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about new deals for some of the players soon, Mayling, Pacheco, and Daly probably prime candidates

Honestly know nothing of Missy Bo Kearns but only 23 and seems to have an impressive pedigree, with over 100 appearances for Liverpool. An England under 23 captain as well.  

Not sure how we've managed that but in theory it's a great signing, off the top of my head in terms of young English midfielders about the best Blindkilde replacement we could have got outside of Park and Clinton.

Edited by useless

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â