Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Know absolutely nothing about this guy but pleased it’s sorted. Now the hard work begins and hoping we already have some irons in the fire.

Katie Zelem would be a terrific pick up if we and her were interested. 

Edited by ferguson1

Not going to pretend I know anything about him or the other coaches mentioned for the post - this chap may well prove to be excellent for us and be exactly what we need to go up to the next level… but… there is something in my mind that prefers us to have a female coach for the women’s team. More women coaches should be getting the opportunities to coach at the top level of the women’s game.  

Edited by Tayls

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Not going to pretend I know anything about him or the other coaches mentioned for the post - this chap may well prove to be excellent for us and be exactly what we need to go up to the next level… but… there is something in my mind that prefers us to have a female coach for the women’s team. More women coaches should be getting the opportunities to coach at the top level of the women’s game.  

Whilst I agree it would be great to have many top level women’s coaches managing WSL teams and echo your preference for a women coach/manager, unfortunately that is another area of the game catching up there are but a few around.  Getting the best person in, has to be the best thing for progression now - continuing the massive improvement in the game by getting the best coaches involved and building the game and following up, by playing the beautiful the right way.  I see a future where lots of the current crop of older generation players see a pathway to top level jobs (even in the men’s side of the game) just need to give it time to progress.

Onto Villa, again I know little about the appointment, but it’s nice to see it get sorted and seems to be highly regarded - let’s hope it was the ambition of the club that attracted him and we see the progress we were all hoping for last season.

Seems like a decent enough appointment, has won trophies in one of the major leagues which is a good sign, also seems to have a good background with youth, managed Holland U17s and known for helping to develop young players at club level, including Van Domselaar at Twente, and looking at Bayer squad last season they had ten players twenty or under, given we've invested a lot in our academy I imagine that's something we were looking for

Hopefully we make some good signings now

Bayer Leverkusen women got promoted and then finished 10th, 10th, 5th, 7th before appointing de Pauw. Since promotion we've finished 10th, 9th, 5th, 7th so almost identical points that he's joined both projects. He then led Leverkusen to 5th and 6th place finishes.

The more I think about this manager appointment, the more exciting it could turn out to be. Fresh coaching and tactical ideas away from the WSL, and hopefully tapping more into the European market when shopping for players.

It’s probably a little lazy of a suggestion re transfer targets but when looking at the Frauen-Bundesliga League, there are some really stand out teams, Bayern, Wolfsburg, Eintracht etc and I notice Man Utd are about to sign a free transfer defender from Wolfsburg by the name of Janssen. So could be a market we’ve not really explored but are now confident enough to venture into.

We do have a decent core of players currently but when we have injuries and suspensions like we always seem to have, the drop off in quality is clearly evident. I would expect at least five or six new players to come in before the start of the new WSL season on 21 and 22 September.

I suspect if anything we're more likely to go for players that he knows from Holland via his work with U17s and U23 national teams, and FC Twente rather than from Germany, but in addition to that possibilty I also think we will be looking at WSL players still, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the reason he got the job, so we didn't have to change transfer plans that will have been in place a long time already too much

I really liked the sound of Gunnarsdottir, am a little disappointed she didn't get the job, but from listening to her speak I think the opposite would have been true of her, by her own words she's a control freak and likes to be in control of everything, with the final say, including transfers. Basically I think De Pauw is more someone to come in and carry on what Ward started, with some improvements hopefully, whereas Gunnarsdottir would have been more someone to come in and completey change everything, which could have been fine in theory, but I think to do that and make it work in time for this season coming, we would have had to have had her in place much earlier

I watched a FC Twente game, or some of it, and some other highlights, from when De Pauw was in charge and they look very comfortable passing the ball and in possession of the ball in general, as well as being very aggresive without it, truth be told they looked like they would be top four challengers in the WSL, or in other words they looked a lot better than us and most WSL teams, made me wonder we should have signed a few of their other players beside Van Domselaar, maybe we will now

Â