Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Glad to finally have a bit of manager info.

My knowledge of managers in the women's game is basically nothing so this is me purely being a football snob I guess but I was hoping we'd go for a European option instead of another English manager at Villa. Something new and refreshing. 

Give us something to be excited about, it's been a drab few months for the women's team it feels imo. 

Edited by Farlz

Transfer window opens this Monday, although free transfers between WSL clubs can't happen until July 1st when players' current contracts end. But because she would command a transfer fee, if Van Domselaar is going to Arsenal then that can happen next week, although I'm still seeing Earps linked with Arsenal, she probably won't go to Barcelona now as they've signed Ellie Roebuck, and Manchesteer United are being linked to Merle Frohms if Earps leaves, so seems a lot going on with goalkeepers, we will see what happens, am still bracing myself for her departure though

No idea what to expect from us with regards to incomings, I thought we might go for Katie Robinson, Ava Baker who has just announced her departure from Leicester also a possibility - bearing in mind we've already taken half of Leicester's academy products, would be a long shot, but another player I've wondered about is Chloe Kelly, who it's rumoured might be leaving Manchester City with them being linked to Aoba Fujino as a replacement, she's also good friends with Pacheco it seems

Those are all attackers, at least one of which we will need with Magill leaving and seemingly Lehamann too, and truth be told probably could have done with anyway, but we basically need to strengthen all over

Sophia Poor will be old enough to sign on professiional terms with us on Tuesday too, so hopefully that happens, could be a busy week for news

On Ava Baker someone on Leicester forum claiming they've heard she's going to birmingham, would be a strange move, I thought most likely destination would either be a top four team then a loan out, or to us as a squad player, to be honest will probably do very well at Championship level if that's where she's going, if true I guess she's looking for game time, but I would have thought it would make more sense to sign for a WSL team and then seek a loan to the Championship, would be a very ambitious move for them to be honest

If Elisabet Gunnarsdóttir is going to be appointed as our manager might not be easy to predict who we might target, we have a scouting department who will have identifed players, so maybe some of the plans will stay the same, but new manager whoever it ends up being might have a few ideas of their own

This post about Lehmann leaving as part of the Douglas Luiz deal was deleted from Douglas Luiz thread, perhaps the whole of the Alisha Lehmann thread should be deleted some of the insulting things that get written with impunity

We don't know that Lehmann missed the Euros because of Luiz that's just speculation, she said she wasn't mentally ready, maybe I'm wrong and I'm not sure what I'm basing this on, but I don't think Luiz is the type of person that would allow her to miss a big tournament like that because of him

Also in general she seems very dedicated to football, to watch her play she's one of our most passionate players, you can tell that she cares a lot, also a few of our players do vlogs for youtube and I've seen it mentioned a few times in those that she's in doing extra training, and she comes across very well in general, and again like she cares a lot

I think some of the comments about her ability have been unfair too, she's not one of our best players, but nor is she as bad as some have made out, and this idea that she isn't really a footballer but an instagram model certainly isn't true, that's offensive to her and to us as a club, she wouldn't be anywere near the team if she was that, her commercial worth to us really isn't what people think, her instagram folllowers will have barely any affect, Rachel Daly will have had much much bigger impact commerically than Lehmann

Lehmann's worth has been on the pitch, first season she was essentially our best attacker, and only real outlet, second season we signed Hanson, Dali, and Daly, so she was no longer the best attacker, but she didn't look out of place next to those players, she improved and was regular for us when we had our best season ever and were a brilliant attacking team, her five goal and two assists was pretty good going by WSL standards, bearing in mind they only play 22 games, last season was a different story, I personally thought she wasn't as good as she can be, some games she was poor

So overall not one of our best players, but she still did well for us and was good enough as a squad player, I don't think she would get Juventus move without Luiz factor, but at the same I wouldn't be surprised if she did better than some might expect, not become a superstar for them or anything, but be a decent enough squad option, when we were playing well the season before last she was genuinely a very good player for us, so who's to say she can't be so for a good Juventus team who play in a league which I don't think is as good as the WSL

Her leaving isn't a disaster on or off the pitch, whilst she's better than sometimes given credit for, we already have better and can and probably will sign better, but she's been a good servant so wish her and Douglas well in their new adventure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

This post about Lehmann leaving as part of the Douglas Luiz deal was deleted from Douglas Luiz thread, perhaps the whole of the Alisha Lehmann thread should be deleted some of the insulting things that get written with impunity

Great comment. I really like Alisha, she’s always seemed very professional and committed. Clearly very popular with the other players. I wish her well. 

• Like 1

Elisabet Gunnarsdottir who have been in the Swedish League at Kristianstad for many years rumoured to Villa in our local paper today. Or the rumour is said to be from BBC.

Swedish article and a bit of translated. https://www.kristianstadsbladet.se/sport/brittiska-uppgifter-gunnarsdottir-aktuell-for-nytt-toppjobb-i-england/

"According to the BBC, the 47-year-old is at the top of Aston Villa's wish list since first choice Joe Montemurro instead took over Lyon after Sonia Bompastor.

Aston Villa finished seventh in the English Super League last season. Since then, the club's former head coach Carla Ward has left.

Another name mentioned in Aston Villa's coaching search is Bristol City coach Lauren Smith, but it is Elisabet Gunnarsdottir who is currently being singled out as the first choice."

I really thought we might have heard something today, but probably not going to happen now as for some reason official news usually breaks in the mornings for the womens' team. But transfer window is opened today, pre-season starts next month, so things really should start happening now.

Edited by useless

Presumably too late for us, but San Diego have sacked Casey Stoney. Elísabet Gunnarsdóttir seems a good choice for us if we can make it happen, I watched talk she did posted to youtube and comes across well with impressive background

Edited by useless

'There are currently three vacancies in the WSL at Aston Villa, Leicester and Brighton and they would be foolish to not consider Stoney. Both Villa and Leicester are believed to be in the advanced stages of appointing their new managers, but Stoney's sudden availability might attract their attention with nothing yet agreed. Whatever is next for Stoney, she has shown her potential at both United and Wave, and is unlikely to be short of offers.'

Casey Stoney sacked by San Diego - BBC

Edited by useless

Mary Earps is set to sign for Paris Saint-Germain, which means she's not going to Arsenal, which increases the likelihood of them trying to sign van Domselaar instead. Sophia Poor can sign a pro deal now hopefully news of contract will follow shortly. All three of our goalkeepers' futures up in the air at the moment as there's been no announcement on Leat's future yet

Edited by useless

Very much hope we get our new manager/coach in over the next few days or during next week.

So much work to do getting a competitive squad together and clubs already working on new signings. I notice Liverpool are looking to smash their transfer record on a Canadian forward and Man Utd looking to sign Brighton’s Turland. Lucy Bronze has left Barcelona, Katie Zelem has left Man Utd.

Some players may still be unrealistic to sign but would hate to miss out on potentially good pickups because our manager situation drags on over the summer.

Edited by ferguson1

I was expecting this week to be busy, then nothing happened at all, starting to drag a little, but if we end up appointing Gunnarsdóttir or Stoney, or someone of that ilk, it will be worth the wait, or at least will be a show of ambition

Hard to predict which players we might go for without knowing who the manager is going to be, and which of our current players are staying or going, but with us we usually plan transfer windows well in advance, so might be that the club already have some signings lined-up ready to go, as long as the new manager, whoever it is, agrees

I'm not sure of the exact date but pre-season starts for us in July, so it really shouldn't be long now before things start taking shape

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2024/june/29/robert-de-pauw-confirmed-as-new-women-s-manager/

ROBERT DE PAUW APPOINTED NEW WOMEN'S MANAGER

Aston Villa Women are delighted to announce the appointment of Robert de Pauw as its new Manager.

The Dutchman has put pen-to-paper on a three-year deal with the option of a further year.

Robert joins from Bayer Leverkusen having spent the previous two campaigns with the German club, subject to regulatory clearance.

An experienced coach who has worked at both club and international level, Robert previously managed FC Twente where he led the Tukkers to a Vrouwen Eredivisie and Eredivisie Cup double in 2022.

The 42-year-old has also worked with the Dutch FA as a youth coach, noting his ability to develop players of all ages.

Head of Women’s Football, Lee Billiard said: “After an extremely methodical and extensive managerial search, we are delighted to welcome Robert to Aston Villa Football Club.”

“The process we used in order to find the best fit for the managerial position took some time and included a thorough search of the best leagues in women’s football.”

“We considered all aspects from coaching philosophies, development of teams over a period of time and, of course, development of players.”

“This detailed procedure led us to Robert, who we know has a clear philosophy and has an insatiable hunger to implement a winning culture at the football club.”

“His development of senior players and younger players, both domestically and internationally, speaks for itself and we are excited to see him get started.”

Â