Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Only 2 outfield players names as sub, and one of those is being released. Plus Allen started and she's being released as well as Hansen, who is only loan. Seems like our squad is threadbare, so hopefully that points to a summer of recruitment to try and close the gap on the top 4.

Great season by the ladies. Daly is immense. 

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see who comes in during the summer. Our women’s team is far more attractive now so we should see some quality signings

Listening to Carla Ward after the game sounds like it wasn't her choice to let Remi Allen go, looked a little regretful about it, I was thinking myself after these past few games if I was the club I would be half tempted to do a u-turn and offer her the chance to stay with the way she's played with so much commitment - putting herself at risk for a club that doesn't want her anymore and in games that don't really matter, showed what a good player and club captain she's been.

All that said I think ultimately the best thing for her might be that she does leave, so much so that I was wondering if she might leave of her own accord, as just missed a season and half through injury, at her age now best thing for her would perhaps be to go somwhere where she's going to play every week get as much game time in as she can before retirement

Looking at our midfielders, Dali, Nobbs, Littlejohn, Staniforth, and Allen all in their thirties, we've got Blindkiled and McLoughlin too who are still nineteen and eighteen, but can understand the club feeling we needed to move on a few of the older ones.

• Like 1

Five more wins than last season, the first WSL team to finish outside top four and win ten or more games

Four less losses than last season

Three less goals conceded

Thirty four more goals scored, it's worth noting that even if you take away Daly's goals, that would still be twenty-five goals and would be just one shy of doubling last season's total

Sixteen more points than last season

We actually got more points and scored more goals this season than the last two seasons combinded, thirty-six points and twenty-eight goals from our first two seasons in WSL, thirty-seven points and forty-seven goals from our third season.

I guess the one area where we didn't improve massively was defensively, but even then Everton were the only team to concede fewer goals than us outside top four, I think our goals against stats also distorted when we had two bad losses conceding five against Man Utd and Arsenal in back to back games in Decemember, also we're a very attack minded team, seems like other than the two central defenders and staniforth, everyone else is an attack minded player, and even Staniforth is probably more of a deep-lyng-playmaker than is a traditional tough tackling DM, so going to concede a few just by the nature of how we set-up and play, if take that away we wouldn't be as good to watch

• Like 2

I thought Hampton would be leaving as did an interview after Man City semi-final win and the way she was talking was almost as if her time at Villa was in the past tense.No surprise she's got all those top clubs interested.

When Anna Leat came into the team I didn't think there was much of a drop off in quality if any at all, which took me by surprise as I was expecting without Hampton we would be in big trouble, but Leat's a great shot stopper and very good in possession too, in fact I'd say she's better in possession than Hampton, but Hampton the better shot stopper, Hampton probably a better shot stopper than most keepers, so Hampton probably edges it as the better player, hence her being first choice when okay to play, but I wouldn't be too worried if we went into the new season with Leat as first choice.

I still think we will be looking for a new No.1, but good to know we already have another very good goalkeeper in Leat. Maybee should try and get Janina Leitzig, who was on loan at Leicester since January and a big reason they survived, trouble is all those three teams want Hampton then the two that don't get her will likely be interested in Leitzig, so we will probably have to look elsewhere; actually looking at the replies to Emma Sanders tweet a lot expressing wonder at why those clubs need Hampton as already have goalkeers', so we could potentially take one of those.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, choffer said:

I thought we'd moved past such blatant sexism. 

:ph34r:

I clearly failed my unconscious bias and sexism in the workplace training 😀

• Haha 2

On 31/05/2023 at 14:01, useless said:

Hampton, Nobbs, and Daly named in England World Cup squad.

Sarina Weigman picks players on form, well whata ya know? Also leaves players out coming back from injury i.e Beth Mead. I know someone who could learn a bit from her, hey Gareth!

• Like 1

Wonderful news, was slightly concerned that one of the top clubs in France might come in for her and the chance to play in Champions League might have been too hard to turn down, especially as she's said she was going back to France last summer as wasn't working out for her in England and only stayed because we/Carla changed her mind, I don't think other than Rachel Daly there would be an harder player to replace in our squad given how influential she was in the team last season.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

Yes brilliant news! I just watched her interview on the OS, wow, her English is amazing! She's really articulate as well as very calm and confident. She mentions closing the gap on the big four next season in both points and performances as a next objective.

Sounds like she's saying some transfers have already been agreed and others ready to be agreed once she and players return from their holiday breaks; window opens June 23rd but signings can be announced before then.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â