Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

started at the weekend, subbed off, 4 games in played all 4 but only started 1, would say as expected he's just a squad player there, that kind of is what it is, they bought 3 CMs this summer to add to the 2 Italian international CMs they already had, would say based on the transfers thread most of us would probably have taken thuram and koopmeiners over him here too

they're 3rd in the league 1 point off top, got CL tomorrow

On 03/09/2024 at 10:51, Stevo985 said:

I think we'll move on fairly quickly from Dougie. Onana is an upgrade, we won't need to look back

Onana isn't a replacement for Luiz 

Onana is an alternative for Kamara 

Barkley is a replacement for Luiz 

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

started at the weekend, subbed off, 4 games in played all 4 but only started 1, would say as expected he's just a squad player there, that kind of is what it is, they bought 3 CMs this summer to add to the 2 Italian international CMs they already had, would say based on the transfers thread most of us would probably have taken thuram and koopmeiners over him here too

they're 3rd in the league 1 point off top, got CL tomorrow

The midfield 3 of Koopmeiners, Thuram and Luiz will eventually bring them better balance. Locatelli and Fagioli is a big step down in quality

Juventus are pretty weak in the final 3rd and Motta is trying find something up top first. Vlahovic had a steep decline from his Haaland comparison days and playing Weah who is hopeless

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Disagree. Onana and Kamara both play when fully fit.

Onana is a replacement for Luiz, but plays in a different way. Tielemans will continue to be the attacking player in the middle trio. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Disagree. Onana and Kamara both play when fully fit.

Onana is a replacement for Luiz, but plays in a different way. Tielemans will continue to be the attacking player in the middle trio. 

You don't know that though 

As of now Onana plays in a different position to Luiz. 

So if we go by current evidence, Barkley and Tielemans are Luiz replacement 

Saying Kamara and Onana will both be playing you are basically suggesting Tielemans will be out of the team which is a crazy take.  

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

So if we go by current evidence, Barkley and Tielemans are Luiz replacement 

agree on tielemans, said before personally i think to push on we needed onana regardless, he hasn't replaced anyone, I'm expecting a fair few games this year where we go with kamara, onana and youri with then an interesting more attacking line up when we play say ipswich at home, almost like we'll have a home vs the bottom 6 midfield and an away vs the top 6 midfield 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Only compared to when Kamara played.

Without Kamara, Luiz played deeper which was where he was less effective

I don't think you can look at like for likes in that group of midfielders (Kamara, Onana, Tielemans, Luiz, Barkley)

They all do different jobs and play different positions depending on who we are playing and who they are playing with

Edited by Stevo985

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Only compared to when Kamara played.

Without Kamara, Luiz played deeper which was where he was less effective

Because we had no other options 

4 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Because we had no other options 

OK, I disagree that Onana and Kamara will rotate. They’ll both start. I also think Tielemans starts.

Barkley will be subbed in and out.

Whichever way you want to look at it, we essentially swapped Luiz for Onana. They’re different midfielders, but that’s what happened.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

OK, I disagree that Onana and Kamara will rotate. They’ll both start. I also think Tielemans starts.

Barkley will be subbed in and out.

Whichever way you want to look at it, we essentially swapped Luiz for Onana. They’re different midfielders, but that’s what happened.

Then McGinn doesnt start if we play them 3 😉

Edited by Zatman

if we want to continue playing at this level, we need to get out of our heads the notion of a first XI. We have a squad, all capable of stepping in, either from the start or during a game if the tactics need a reshuffle. Onana started yesterday, didn't play well, got subbed for Barkley.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

if we want to continue playing at this level, we need to get out of our heads the notion of a first XI. We have a squad, all capable of stepping in, either from the start or during a game if the tactics need a reshuffle. Onana started yesterday, didn't play well, got subbed for Barkley.

Yes, of course…

…but there’ll still be a first XI :D 

30 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yes, of course…

…but there’ll still be a first XI :D 

Can you name City's first XI?

They don't have one, a few undisputed starters sure but no defined best XI. It's what we should be aspiring towards.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

They don't have one, a few undisputed starters sure but no defined best XI. It's what we should be aspiring towards.

Man City are a terrible example, though.  They have World Class players x2 in most positions on the pitch - and they still have, as you say, a handful of players who will start every game.

For every other side in the league, I reckon people could name the first XI or get incredibly close.  We are one of those sides.

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Tielemans was the replacement for Luiz. We did brilliantly to get him in a year early due to the contract so he could adapt to our methods while Luiz was still here.

Was the better of the two from January and now he's running the tempo of the midfield most weekends.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

TBF for a big game they'll always be starting all of De Bruyne, Rodri, Haaland and Foden. If fit they'll all be starting a CL SF or title decider v a Liverpool or Arsenal.

Where you are right is defensively they put out many different combinations. Sometimes they go with Ake-Akanji, other times Stones is in there and looks like this season they'll trust Rico Lewis more so Gardivol won't be an automatic choice at LB.

I think that will be us when Kamara is fit again, we'll keep teams guessing what midfield we'll be putting out. Look at end of November and the whole of December, we'll pretty much be playing every three days for four weeks solid so rotation is simply a must then.

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Tielemans was the replacement for Luiz. We did brilliantly to get him in a year early due to the contract so he could adapt to our methods while Luiz was still here.

Was the better of the two from January and now he's running the tempo of the midfield most weekends.

Has surprised me how good he has become 

• Like 1

he is really getting a lot of stick from the Juve fans.

Phrases like lazy, lazy lolzillian (brazilian), lacks effort, lacks a will to run, cant press, cant run, thinks he's cool with a lot of pointless short passes, just like Melo (thats not a compliment), Mel v2.0.

the most PC negative comment was "energy challenged".

im sure he will come good eventually, but a lot of fans moaning for sure.

I think we learnt from his experience here that it matters a lot who you pair him with. Kamara really brought out the best in him as it provided stability both in terms of defensive cover and a reliable possession outlet. He always looked much more exposed (in much the way the previous poster suggested) when he was partnered with someone less solid. Not sure who he has next to him at juve? 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â