Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Posted (edited)

He had to go and he wanted juve and we wouldn't sell to PL rival, made perfect sense.

Doug for me was exceptional when we had the ball,  had plenty of space and time. He could dictate the game. Where he was weak was when we was out of possession or there was little or no space to play in. He did improve in this aspect over a few seasons, his diabolical tackling early in his villa career led to penalties and plenty of free kicks. I think he will do well in Italy and wish him all the best. 

Edited by tinker
  • Like 2

I wouldn't read too much into it. It's just the standard big club, yada yada you usually get from a new signing. He's not gonna say it's was due to PSR or money reasons, or that Juve's famous doping history or current court cases around cheating was what attracted him.

He also admitted in the interview that Danilo and Bremer tapped him up. Danilo would tell him everyday about how great Juve was and that was a big factor too.

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

He also admitted in the interview that Danilo and Bremer tapped him up. Danilo would tell him everyday about how great Juve was and that was a big factor too.

No one should need convincing to join juve tbh

One of the most legendary clubs that has ever existed

• Like 2

Interesting tidbit (though I don't agree with Collomosse's overall argument). I mean it was pretty obvious he wasn't listening as much. 

A key player for Emery throughout 2023, there was a sense that towards the end of last season, Luiz was no longer listening to the Spaniard’s messages quite so attentively. Anyone who witnessed the fearful rollicking Emery gave the midfielder midway through Villa’s 4-2 home defeat by Olympiacos would have thought something was amiss – though Emery denied it afterwards.

https://archive.is/Vix4t

Dougie doing Dougie things:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-nB-AFNhsF/?igsh=NGZud2U1MmpnbGt5

Doesn't look like they shared it on X amd insta doesn't seem to embed?

I get the feeling he didn't get this freedom at Villa under Emery and although it made him a more reliable player for us,  it lost him his love for the game. He wanted to be able to express himself in his play, and felt he could no longer do that. My take on it. 

4 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Interesting tidbit (though I don't agree with Collomosse's overall argument). I mean it was pretty obvious he wasn't listening as much. 

A key player for Emery throughout 2023, there was a sense that towards the end of last season, Luiz was no longer listening to the Spaniard’s messages quite so attentively. Anyone who witnessed the fearful rollicking Emery gave the midfielder midway through Villa’s 4-2 home defeat by Olympiacos would have thought something was amiss – though Emery denied it afterwards.

https://archive.is/Vix4t

The two games we played when Luiz was suspended (Arsenal and Bournemouth) we were fantastic with Tielemans and McGinn in the pivot 🤣

I think we'll be just fine with Tielemans and Onana, with the addition of Kamara when he's back.

18 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The two games we played when Luiz was suspended (Arsenal and Bournemouth) we were fantastic with Tielemans and McGinn in the pivot 🤣

I think we'll be just fine with Tielemans and Onana, with the addition of Kamara when he's back.

I think Onana is going to be one of our most important players - especially when we see more of his passing range and breaking up of play. 

Just now, The_Steve said:

I think Onana is going to be one of our most important players - especially when we see more of his passing range and breaking up of play. 

We might be losing some of Luiz playmaking ability in midfield, but were going to be a lot more solid with Onana there instead.  Some of those defeats from last season will turn into draws.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We might be losing some of Luiz playmaking ability in midfield, but were going to be a lot more solid with Onana there instead.  Some of those defeats from last season will turn into draws.  

For sure. It will hard to replicate his set piece output but at least we have more steel in the middle so it's harder for teams to overload the middle and glide on by. 

Worse at keeping the ball but better at winning it back feels like a trade Steve Bruce would have happily made. Really looking forward to when Kamara comes back because then I think we will miss Luiz a whole lot less.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

But some of them tight wins will probably also turn to draws

2 hours ago, sne said:

Worse at keeping the ball but better at winning it back feels like a trade Steve Bruce would have happily made. Really looking forward to when Kamara comes back because then I think we will miss Luiz a whole lot less.

I missed Luiz a lot every time Kamara was out.

The last 3 months, maybe 6 months, he was with us, I'd have sooner put my nan in CM than him. 

I said maybe 3, or 6, months ago something has turned his head. I'm not buying into the 'Villa Legend' nonsense on this one. He was a good player, he had a lot of shit games, and he lost his head at the end.

Enjoy Italy pal, thanks for the corners you scored from and work on the rest of your set pieces.

Ciao.

Not a fan of these hot pieces about Dougie in the media. If Unai lost trust months back he wouldnt have brought him back in after we beat Arsenal when he was suspended

Monchi said we had sell for PSR all to it which is probably the actual truth

Edited by Zatman

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not a fan of these hot pieces about Dougie in the media. If Unai lost trust months back he wouldnt have brought him back in after we beat Arsenal when he was suspended

Monchi said we had sell for PSR all to it which is probably the actual truth

It’s never that simple. Who else was going to step up in quality? We were bare bones. He had put in some great performances but put in some utterly abject performances too. His head was clearly elsewhere. He had said how Brazilian lads at Juve had turned his head. It was also a handy PSR move. One does not invalidate the others. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â