Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Yes, well according to my Italian friends he is, and a quick scan of the English language Juve forums seem to be saying something similar. Its also kind of evidenced by Juve's preference to flog us McKennie (a first team starter who actually had his best season) and keep Barrenechea. He also did very well last season in a struggling team.

And i guess my point as it isn't a direct replacement (which at least to start with would have been an obvious downgrade) instead Its accompanied by Barkley and hopefully (surely?) another CM signing. which overall should equate to a stronger midfield.

My preference would have been to keep him and still sign a new midfielder or two, but i guess FFP made that impossible. 

His terrible form during the run in of the most important season for us at least in recent memory really concerned me. Top top midfielders worth 60-80 million don't do that. I'm probably being overly optimistic, but i honestly think we are going to end up with a better midfield.

Edited by carlitobrigante
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

€42m+  on these two players.

If we spent €42m on these two young prospects I'd want Monchi sacked immediately.

That is money you can use on player(s) to start.

Oh well. Villa will still go on without him. Better players than him have left and we're still here.

Surprised he didn't stay to play for us in the Champions League, but if it was a necessity for PSR than so be it.

The summer window isn't over yet. I'd be very surprised if we don't bring a top player in to replace him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If we spent €42m on these two young prospects I'd want Monchi sacked immediately.

That is money you can use on player(s) to start.

Two players. You don't sign someone ready to start for £20m, let alone €20m.

Now if you look at it in one player, €42m gets us Maatsen, who is ready to start, but the thing is we can buy him,  and sell Dougie for what we have, and still have funds to buy a Dougie replacement, as well as the two prospects we've got. 

As a transaction, selling Dougie for what we have, getting the two prospects we have, is fine business. 

Let's see who we replace Dougie with before we panic or moan about our dealings. This transfer doesn't define our window. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

Devastating to see him leave. As things stand, I think we will struggle without him. 

Yes it's a wrench to see him go, but there's months before the window closes, and we have a team of experts in place which will have been planning for this for a while.  DL leaving won't have been a shock for them, and I'm positive contingency plans have been in place and worked on since the season ended.

47 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Two players. You don't sign someone ready to start for £20m, let alone €20m.

Wharton. Hjulmand. Xhaka. Kessie. Reijnders. 

There's just some midfielders who would likely start for us and cost under £20m last season.

Players are available in every position.

47 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Now if you look at it in one player, €42m gets us Maatsen, who is ready to start, but the thing is we can buy him,  and sell Dougie for what we have, and still have funds to buy a Dougie replacement, as well as the two prospects we've got. 

As a transaction, selling Dougie for what we have, getting the two prospects we have, is fine business. 

Let's see who we replace Dougie with before we panic or moan about our dealings. This transfer doesn't define our window. 

Plenty of time definitely, no real drama at the moment. Can't even judge this transfer until at least the end of the season.

First pre-season game only four weeks away mind (just had to look that up, closer than I thought!).

I hope you're right, honestly. 

For me, I'm just of the opinion IF these two guys aren't much good, it'll really sting we've given away a player like Doug for the sort of fee you see very ordinary players move for.

And I bloody hate Juve. Juve and Barca. The scummiest scum of scumville.

• Like 1

Goodbye Dougie, you've been a warrior and a gentleman. I understand the circumstances and why this happened, but we will miss you.

Thanks for the good times, bud!

Never bought a Juve kit before…can see that changing. 

In Unai we trust, but man, I thought life would be easier when we were successful enough to send players off than when they left us for greener pastures. Clearly, I was wrong. 

Feels like that mutual breakup with no hard feelings. 
If you see them out you just smile at each other and think “good times, hope they are happy”.

Personally I’ve never felt more confident of a penalty taker or more excited that we might score directly from a corner, obrigado irmao.

I hope everyone remembers when we sold Jack, a lot of people thought we were doomed and it would take years for the club to recover...

Whilst Unai is our manager, I'm not going to sweat the small stuff like players coming and going...

I really was a Dougie fan, but he wasn't quite the same player without Boubs there in midfield with him...

6 hours ago, striker said:

Thank **** he’s gone.

Villa’s midfield will be much better without him.

When you said Phillips was a good player ruined any credibility you had about football knowledge

Â