Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

It's a trade we've consciously made with a result that the club are happy with.

It's the best club could do having been forced to comply with bullshit PSR. I doubt we're happy to sell Doug for this sort of fee.

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

then spent €42m+  on these two players. 

Time will tell if these two are worth £0 or £10m or £20m or £50m each. Bearing in mind we wanted fatboy McKennie ahead of one of them, I'm not expecting great things this season at least from Enzo.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's the best club could do having been forced to comply with bullshit PSR. I doubt we're happy to sell Doug for this sort of fee.

Time will tell if these two are worth £0 or £10m or £20m or £50m each. Bearing in mind we wanted fatboy McKennie ahead of one of them, I'm not expecting great things this season at least from Enzo.

You're still looking at the fee in isolation, which is largely irrelevant in the context of the sale.

Time will tell, but it's clear the prices of who weve bought has been set according to the price difference we want to achieve. In the open market they'd be worth more than we've paid just like Luiz was.

The post I linked as it explained that already.

I agree that they may well end up being worth less than we've paid, but that's irrelevant to the transfer made right now.

You're right that the end truth will be somewhere in the middle of the two extreme of us having our pants pulled down and then having had theirs pulled down, but the extreme reaction of we've been done on the fee is ignoring the facts of @Tubby's post.

The fee we received, combined with the fees we've paid is better for us than receiving more but spending more on the players we'll acquire in return. It's a pointless thing to get wound up about.

Be concerned that we've still got to replace him, by all means, but not the fee we received.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

, I'm not expecting great things this season at least from Enzo.

I’ve been watching some of Frosinone games from last season. He looks a smart player. Reads the game well and gets in the right positions without sprinting about, he sneaks about. Can receive and distribute in tight spaces. Has a nice range of passes. Pick pocket kind of tackler. 

There’s a few young/raw issues. Not fully sure when to close down players, is the notable one Yet things like that are going to be ironed out with us. 

But on the whole, he’s going to be better than donks straight away. And I feel there’s a chance he might end up better than Boubs is now (I still think Boubs will be even better than that)

however Soule is a real good prospect out of this squad. If we sell diaby, Soule would be a nice pick up 

Goodbye sweet prince.

Great servant for the club and will always have fond memories of him. 

However, he isn't irreplaceable and we can use the money to become stronger. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, sne said:

He'd be perfect for our midfield. Wonder how much he'd cost?

Nope. The guy we get in to replace him will be perfect for our midfield. 

2 hours ago, MachoFantastico said:

I don't think any of the players coming in are near his quality either, which worries me.

They're not signed to play Doug's role. That will be Tielemans or Barkley. Barrenechea is for the Kamara role.

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’ve been watching some of Frosinone games from last season. He looks a smart player. Reads the game well and gets in the right positions without sprinting about, he sneaks about. Can receive and distribute in tight spaces. Has a nice range of passes. Pick pocket kind of tackler. 

There’s a few young/raw issues. Not fully sure when to close down players, is the notable one Yet things like that are going to be ironed out with us. 

But on the whole, he’s going to be better than donks straight away. And I feel there’s a chance he might end up better than Boubs is now (I still think Boubs will be even better than that)

however Soule is a real good prospect out of this squad. If we sell diaby, Soule would be a nice pick up 

Barrenchea isnt that young though. He is 23 and his development should be near complete

I would be happy but genuinely shocked if he offered more than Nakamba did

I'm probably in the minority, but i'm actually fairly happy with this deal

Luiz has been great for us, but he has had long patches of poor form. He's a very good midfielder, but for me i think we got a fair deal. For me he has never been an 80mill midfielder like some think he was worth (especially in this current market). 80 mill midfielders don't have long periods of very poor form like Luiz has.

I was concerned how during our run in, of our most important season in recent times, when we needed him the most, he played some of the worst I've ever seen him play.

Our midfield definitely needed a refresh, and it gives us the opportunity to get players who maybe fit Emery's vision better, and allows us to get some more physicality in our team. Even when Kamara was fit, our central midfield area still looked a little light weight at times.

Barrenechea is very highly rated. If he develops like i think he might then we will end up actually having had Juventus over with this deal! Add in Barkley, and potentially another big CM signing coming in, and i think our central midfield could end up being so much stronger overall.

Regardless, he has been a great servant for us and a big reason for our recent rise. A brilliant signing and despite what I've said above I'll still miss having him in the squad.

Frustrating part about it, similar to Grealish, is that just as we look like we are really on the up as a club and could be competing, an important player decides to leave us.

The fact he chose to leave now, when things at the club are genuinely exciting and we can finally maybe compete at the very top, tells me its either for personal / family reasons, or its because he thinks we have gone as far as we can and wont actually be able to compete or sustain it, in which case its best he left us anyway.

I also think he will really suit Italian football and play brilliantly for Juventus, which will make the transfer even harder to swallow for some.

Edited by carlitobrigante
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, carlitobrigante said:

I'm probably in the minority, but i'm actually fairly happy with this deal

Luiz has been great for us, but he has had long patches of poor form. He's a very good midfielder, but for me i think we got a fair deal. For me he has never been an 80mill midfielder like some think he was worth (especially in this current market). 80 mill midfielders don't have long periods of very poor form like Luiz has.

I was concerned how during our run in, of our most important season in recent times, when we needed him the most, he played some of the worst I've ever seen him play.

Our midfield definitely needed a refresh, and it gives us the opportunity to get players who maybe fit Emery's vision better, and allows us to get some more physicality in our team. Even when Kamara was fit, our central midfield area still looked a little light weight at times.

Barrenechea is very highly rated. If he develops like i think he might then we will end up actually having had Juventus over with this deal! Add in Barkley, and potentially another big CM signing coming in, and i think our central midfield could end up being so much stronger overall.

Regardless, he has been a great servant for us and a big reason for our recent rise. A brilliant signing and despite what I've said above I'll still miss having him in the squad.

Frustrating part about it, similar to Grealish, is that just as we look like we are really on the up as a club and could be competing, an important player decides to leave us.

The fact he chose to leave now, when things at the club are genuinely exciting and we can finally maybe compete at the very top, tells me its either for personal / family reasons, or its because he thinks we have gone as far as we can and wont actually be able to compete or sustain it, in which case its best he left us anyway.

I also think he will really suit Italian football and play brilliantly for Juventus, which will make the transfer even harder to swallow for some.

Is Barrenenchea really that highly rated. He is uncapped in all levels by Argentina and played 3 games for Juventus but they play poor players like Fagioli and Miretti on a more regular basis

Â