Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Even then...

We've been done on Doug. Absolutely done. We've got the price we would have got when he had one left for some reason.

We may have been better off getting one more year out of him then selling him with a year left for £40-60m.

15 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It's a terrible deal and yeah I'm Mr Negative again but we've acted in this market like we've absolutely desperate. Maybe we are. Maybe we aren't.

Read this... and if you still think the same theres no helping you. 

On 29/06/2024 at 08:56, Tubby said:

Doug was never going to go for £80m. Not with two years left on his contract and not signing a new one. The fee, at best, could have been £50m-£60m.

Now, why wasn't the fee in that range? Because the excellent people that run our club have engineered the deal for their benefit.

1. The fee received for Doug, cleared the PSR requirements.
  2. We pay less Tax on the gains and a lower sell-on to Man Citeh - just the right amount to ensure we don't fall foul of PSR and not do Juve
  3. The two inbound players have both come in at reduced fees too.
  4. That helps us to reduce the burden on our future books
  5. The two inbound players fix squad depth problems, that would have cost us a lot more if attempting to purchase on the open market.
  6. We can now utilise additional funds to purchase Doug's replacement - someone that wants to be here and plays at the same or a higher level.

So why didn't more clubs bid for him? Perhaps they did, but they were probably told no deal. Juve have proven to be willing partners, Doug himself is following Alisha there and the value created by the deal overall, is a lot better than straight cash.

• Like 2

Very sad to see Dougie go, but this is how it is, and will be for the next few seasons. Top player, and a fantastic signing all those years ago. I hope he has a great time in Juventus and comes back to see us from time to time.

On 14/05/2024 at 01:27, T-Dog said:

I'd argue he was involved, but he was quite poor. I said only a few days ago, I think he's had his head turned, because he's really dropped off recently, and not just since Kamara got injured. It's frustrating because he's much better than his recent performances suggest.

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Read this... and if you still think the same theres no helping you. 

I can say that as well if you want?

There's no helping you if you can't look critically at things.

This deal is made or broken on how successful to two incoming players are.

If they both struggle in this incredibly difficult league, we've sold a very good Champions League midfielder for the same as Leeds will probably get for an 18 year old. So more money and no players would have been better.

If they both look great by the start of next season, it's an excellent deal, we've robbed them.

Probably be somewhere in the middle.

Edited by Tomaszk

14th biggest sale from a premier league club to a non-prem club in history. Most the transfers above him are the famous transfers to Madrid and Barca in the last two decades.

It's good money I guess although in the current market £42mil feels like daylight robbery. At least we won't have to watch him play in the Prem for another team for at least another few months. 

19 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I can say that as well if you want?

There's no helping you if you can't look critically at things.

This deal is made or broken on how successful to two incoming players are.

If they both struggle in this incredibly difficult league, we've sold a very good Champions League midfielder for the same as Leeds will probably get for an 18 year old. So more money and no players would have been better.

If they both look great by the start of next season, it's an excellent deal, we've robbed them.

Probably be somewhere in the middle.

But it's probably safe to assume we wanted both these players anyway.

So how would the result be any different if we'd sold Luiz for €70m+  to someone else (and that someone would have to be in the PL) and then spent €42m+  on these two players.  Answer... he'd now be strengthening a rival instead.

It's not a disaster or us being desperate or anything like that. It's a trade we've consciously made with a result that the club are happy with.

He did loads for us and goes with my blessing. Was hoping to get closer to £55m but only 2 years left on his contract. I trust we will end up with a better midfield. 
need a new penalty taker 

Â