Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

20 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Maybe, just maybe, Dougie asked to leave? Stop acting like it’s 31 August. There’s a lot of time to bring quality in. 

Maybe he did. What's that got to do with us getting a crap price?

You wanted fatty McKennie! Surely you're gutted to not get him.

Or is it just celebrate whatever happens?

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Maybe he did. What's that got to do with us getting a crap price?

You wanted fatty McKennie! Surely you're gutted to not get him.

Or is it just celebrate whatever happens?

A month ago there was no chance he was leaving. 

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

IIRC… I felt anger when JG left (and my attitude has just been: sod him).

This time, I feel sadness.

Indeed, totally different feeling.

Which is why when people bring up the generic " bitter" phrase I always point out that many a player has left Villa with our well wishes who we still love.

Sidenote, I was just thinking about his career. He actually hasn't taken the primadonna, easy, or prick route has he?

Yeah his initial move was to Man City, but then he sloohed it out with Genoa, then came to us, a newly promoted club ( Yes obviously we are still Villa ).

He probably could have kicked up a fuss about not getting other moves like to Arsenal etc. I'm sure they may have been interest from other " big clubs " along the way.

Yet in the end he's ultimately moving to an old giant, outside of the country in a move which even he probably knows could be mutually beneficial.

He's taken a more admirable route in his career than many others have imo.

Doesn't seem like he just goes places for the flash, fame and money.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

Good luck to him. 

He's had quite the 5 years with us and for a fair chunk of it with fans on his back doubting him. He has shown great character though and it says it all about that character and his ability that the vast majority of us are now sad to see him go.

I don't see him being missed though in terms of impacting our prospects going forward. We aren't that club anymore that stagnates or goes backwards when one or two starters move on so overall I'd say a decent move him and an indifferent one for us.

This one hurts. I know it was inevitable but he's going to be difficult to replace. Been mega for us, especially the past year or so, been superb under Unai. 

I don't think any of the players coming in are near his quality either, which worries me. Hopefully July provides some positivity. 

Thanks Dougie, you'll be missed at Villa Park. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Even then...

We've been done on Doug. Absolutely done. We've got the price we would have got when he had one left for some reason.

We may have been better off getting one more year out of him then selling him with a year left for £40-60m.

It's a terrible deal and yeah I'm Mr Negative again but we've acted in this market like we've absolutely desperate. Maybe we are. Maybe we aren't.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Indeed, totally different feeling.

Which is why when people bring up the generic " bitter" phrase I always point out that many a player has left Villa with our well wishes who we still love.

Sidenote, I was just thinking about his career. He actually hasn't taken the primadonna, easy, or prick route has he?

Yeah his initial move was to Man City, but then he sloohed it out with Genoa, then came to us, a newly promoted club ( Yes obviously we are still Villa ).

He probably could have kicked up a fuss about not getting other moves like to Arsenal etc. I'm sure they may have been interest from other " big clubs " along the way.

Yet in the end he's ultimately moving to an old giant, outside of the country in a move which even he probably knows could be mutually beneficial.

He's taken a more admirable route in his career than many others have imo.

Doesn't seem like he just goes places for the flash, fame and money.

He also didn’t need to sign a new contract with us when we still had Gerrard.  In which case, he would have left for free this summer or a small fee last summer.

• Like 1

How many points and wins did his penalties alone give us last season? For that alone I'd take a 10/15m hit to keep him.

Next season will be huge and we've lost one player we can absolutely 100% depend on. He's going to be a massive loss and the price isn't even compensation for that.

It's a long time in the window, we'll be looking at quality but we've lost a massive player, personality and leader. This will have waves through the team. He's a phenomenal loss.

Â