Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sad day for the club since we were told get top four and we wouldnt have to sell. Definitely sadder than when Grealish left and has been a great servant for the last 5 years and just a pity

We are selling because he wanted to join Juve. Don’t blame the club for this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

Gutted. Probably the worst deal we have done in some time, we are usually brilliant at selling players at a good value, but we've been done here. He's worth a lot more than £42m.

I know I keep repeating it but we really cannot go into next season with the current midfield options. There has to be one or two new players lined up to come in surely. 

The hope is that the incoming players do well and quickly rise in value… will look and be remembered a lot better if Enzo and Samuel start looking like (for example) 30m players and we could even, possibly, make big profit on them down the line. The English tax will play its part on Iling-Jr too…

Seeing top class players being signed (maybe we can strike a bargain or two of our own) during the rest of the window will make us feel a lot better and even forget about this.

Long way to go, gotta try n be patient n see what materialises. There is surely a good plan in place and targets lined up.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

The hope is that the incoming players do well and quickly rise in value… will look and be remembered a lot better if Enzo and Samuel start looking like (for example) 30m players and we could even, possibly, make big profit on them down the line. 

Even then...

We've been done on Doug. Absolutely done. We've got the price we would have got when he had one left for some reason.

We may have been better off getting one more year out of him then selling him with a year left for £40-60m.

• Like 1

Ugh. Surely if Emery and others were going to be so annoyed that we had to lose Doug, why was selling him the only solution to our problems? All seems a bit stupid to me and we have barely even strengthened ourselves in return - we’ve brought in numbers rather than improvements on what we had.

Shite window so far. 

Edited by Tayls

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Even then...

We've been done on Doug. Absolutely done. We've got the price we would have got when he had one left for some reason.

We may have been better off getting one more year out of him then selling him with a year left for £40-60m.

I am similar, I dont think Barranenchea will make that big of an impact here and unconvinced if honest

Iling Junior should be OK if keeps developing

Just now, Tayls said:

Ugh. This is the reason we will fail to progress. Surely if Emery and others were going to be so annoyed that we had to lose Doug, why was selling him the only solution to our problems? All seems a bit stupid to me and we have barely even strengthened ourselves in return - we’ve brought in numbers rather than improvements on what we had.

Shite window so far. 

Maybe, just maybe, Dougie asked to leave? Stop acting like it’s 31 August. There’s a lot of time to bring quality in. 

• Like 2

Just now, The_Steve said:

Maybe, just maybe, Dougie asked to leave? Stop acting like it’s 31 August. There’s a lot of time to bring quality in. 

He wouldn’t do that to me! I mean… us! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Even then...

I assume it would have been very tight regarding the PSR if we didn't, I can't see Unai wanting to give up points next season.

Anyway it's a sad day, I don't think I've ever seen on Facebook anyone getting such a universally positive send off as this.  Shows how class he has been on and off the pitch.  I have a hunch we may end up playing Juve in the near future and he will get a hero's return.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

The hope is that the incoming players do well and quickly rise in value… will look and be remembered a lot better if Enzo and Samuel start looking like (for example) 30m players and we could even, possibly, make big profit on them down the line. The English tax will play its part on Iling-Jr too…

Seeing top class players being signed (maybe we can strike a bargain or two of our own) during the rest of the window will make us feel a lot better and even forget about this.

Long way to go, gotta try n be patient n see what materialises. There is surely a good plan in place and targets lined up.

Both players have potential and add depth to the squad but we need to add quality to the team now. 6 weeks until first game so plenty of time, hopefully our activity ramps up this week as we enter July.

21 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Even then...

It’s done now and we don’t really know that or can make any accurate prediction.

I didn’t like the deal at any point either but we may as well just accept it and try and take the potential positives out of it…

I’m just glad we didn’t end up with McKennie. Got a more exciting and potentially more valuable player in Barrenechea and some extra money.

There’s too much speculation and we don’t know how much of it is factual… whether or not he wanted to stay, whether or not he was offered a new deal and declined it, whether this is completely/solely depended on PSR rules or an enforced sale, whether we wanted to ensure he didn’t move to another PL club and Juve were the only foreign club who could arrange a deal worth considering, whether both Dougie and Alisha wanted this for personal reasons… etc. etc.

If City have a sell on percentage, maybe the fee’s been reduced to lower what they would get too. While Juve have also undervalued their players a bit too who should be worth much more once they start playing for us.

We’ve just got to look forwards and trust in the club… I’m sure Unai and Monchi have fully thought and planned this out. Confident we will be a better team and squad once the window has closed and possibly do well in CL and the league…. the intention is for that not to be a one off.

Edited by Jas10

4 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Both players have potential and add depth to the squad but we need to add quality to the team now. 6 weeks until first game so plenty of time, hopefully our activity ramps up this week as we enter July.

Agreed, looking forward to it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Gutted. Probably the worst deal we have done in some time, we are usually brilliant at selling players at a good value, but we've been done here. He's worth a lot more than £42m.

We have a very mixed experience with player exchange deals. Carew for Baros was brilliant business.

We'd have been better off with cash instead of taking Stephen Ireland as part of the Milner deal.

Still, we will see how this works out. 

• Like 1

On 29/06/2024 at 08:56, Tubby said:

Doug was never going to go for £80m. Not with two years left on his contract and not signing a new one. The fee, at best, could have been £50m-£60m.

Now, why wasn't the fee in that range? Because the excellent people that run our club have engineered the deal for their benefit.

1. The fee received for Doug, cleared the PSR requirements.
  2. We pay less Tax on the gains and a lower sell-on to Man Citeh - just the right amount to ensure we don't fall foul of PSR and not do Juve
  3. The two inbound players have both come in at reduced fees too.
  4. That helps us to reduce the burden on our future books
  5. The two inbound players fix squad depth problems, that would have cost us a lot more if attempting to purchase on the open market.
  6. We can now utilise additional funds to purchase Doug's replacement - someone that wants to be here and plays at the same or a higher level.

So why didn't more clubs bid for him? Perhaps they did, but they were probably told no deal. Juve have proven to be willing partners, Doug himself is following Alisha there and the value created by the deal overall, is a lot better than straight cash.

Just re-posting this to help make sense of it.

Â