Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

3 hours ago, Tubby said:

Doug was never going to go for £80m. Not with two years left on his contract and not signing a new one. The fee, at best, could have been £50m-£60m.

Now, why wasn't the fee in that range? Because the excellent people that run our club have engineered the deal for their benefit.

1. The fee received for Doug, cleared the PSR requirements.
  2. We pay less Tax on the gains and a lower sell-on to Man Citeh - just the right amount to ensure we don't fall foul of PSR and not do Juve
  3. The two inbound players have both come in at reduced fees too.
  4. That helps us to reduce the burden on our future books
  5. The two inbound players fix squad depth problems, that would have cost us a lot more if attempting to purchase on the open market.
  6. We can now utilise additional funds to purchase Doug's replacement - someone that wants to be here and plays at the same or a higher level.

So why didn't more clubs bid for him? Perhaps they did, but they were probably told no deal. Juve have proven to be willing partners, Doug himself is following Alisha there and the value created by the deal overall, is a lot better than straight cash.

I'm not convinced that sell of Dougie alone was enough to clear our 23/24 ffp position (it's only £35m after deducting City sell on clause).

If that was the case we would have delayed booking profits from Kellyman and Tim until 24/25 accounts.

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

If it was fully done (with contacts all signed) then it would have been announced.

Not necessarily. The announcement goes to the marketing department. They may want to make promotional material, interviews and what not. The social media team might want to hold out to milk more from the Maatsen announcement. 

also it has to be synchronised with Juve’s plans. So the announcements are at the same time 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

17 hours ago, rodders129 said:

The reality is we’re losing one of our best players. It’s a blow but trust Emery to rejig the system and find a way to move forward

No way does Emery allow a key player to leave without bringing in a major signing as a replacement who he believes will be better than the one leaving. I expect a major replacement for Luiz. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

I'm not convinced that sell of Dougie alone was enough to clear our 23/24 ffp position (it's only £35m after deducting City sell on clause).

If that was the case we would have delayed booking profits from Kellyman and Tim until 24/25 accounts.

yeah, the Timmy and Kellyman money was clearly needed (so 35m/9m/18m(with Derbys cut included?)), so 62m ish total, which is roughly what was proposed as our shortfall?

I guess any more sales will come July onwards to go in next years accounts to improve the 3 year cycle from next year onwards?, at least thats how it makes sense in my head.

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Or the more likely one is that we had a weak position and Juve the strong one and €50m was most we could get them to pay along with the deal to take two of their players they wanted to sell (hence McKennie and Iling Junior). Once McKennie was out because of a Juve issue with his money owed then we got lucky in getting a player they didn't want to sell in Barrenechea. 

The clubs view was this plan was best, keeping Luiz for the season and selling in the weaker position of June this summer. It probably cost us about £10m in value if we could sell at best price this summer. Additionally he leaves the PL which I expect was a desire also. 

So that actually sounds like we ended up in quite a strong position, not a weak one. 

22 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

So that actually sounds like we ended up in quite a strong position, not a weak one. 

Yes in the end we did, but the starting point was a low valuation of Luiz and we needed to take two players off Juve to the cost of at least €20m to help their financial situation too. The players they wanted to part with were Iling Junior (as doesn't fit new teams style) and McKennie (last year of contract won't sign new one). Ending up with a player they wanted to keep in Barrenechea was a great result based on the issue they had with McKennie. 

For sure we enquired about Barrenechea and Soule at first and we're told no. 

4 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Agreed. I could have worded it better.

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

What the **** did you lot do regarding transfers when there was no internet and only the Evening Mail and Sports Argus?

Probably not born or still on the teat 😂

Team talks page on Oracle/ Ceefax 😉🤣

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

And that 0898 number, was tempted but 49p per minute stopped me in my tracks.

Ahhhh….good old Clubcall. Unfortunately I couldn’t resist calling far too much and spent many a week grounded when parents nearly had to remortgage after getting the phone bill. Good times 😬

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

What the **** did you lot do regarding transfers when there was no internet and only the Evening Mail and Sports Argus?

Feel like the media have made it an event these days to be honest.  Also remember the transfer windows only came in in the early 2000’s before then you had just the black out period for the last few months of the season.  I don’t remember being so obsessed about transfer activity then and I was going home and away then to all the games.  Almost as if the transfer activity is as big as the games now which is bizarre.  Back then it was Ceefax/Teletext/Birmingham Mail and then the national rags especially Sunday morning football gossip sections.

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Feel like the media have made it an event these days to be honest.  Also remember the transfer windows only came in in the early 2000’s before then you had just the black out period for the last few months of the season.  I don’t remember being so obsessed about transfer activity then and I was going home and away then to all the games.  Almost as if the transfer activity is as big as the games now which is bizarre.  Back then it was Ceefax/Teletext/Birmingham Mail and then the national rags especially Sunday morning football gossip sections.

Sky sports caused this

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Before Teletext there was the local "wireless" sports programmes :D and the Evening Mail & Sports Argus were actually reliable local sources back in the day.

We didn't have today's long build up's to transfers and often the first we heard was when a player had signed or was about to, although often a number of players were linked to the club, when it was known we were looking at a position, that did or did not come off. Am example of a deal happening without much, if any notice would have been Dennis Mortimer, one where a number of players were linked Peter Withe/Mick Ferguson and one that didn't come off was Bergkamp.

I must admit, loosely quoting a former PM "football fans have never had it so good", as far as transfer news/speculation is concerned.   

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

And that 0898 number, was tempted but 49p per minute stopped me in my tracks.

I rang up once when we were bamboozled by the jawdees over Les Ferdinand and then by spuds for Chris Armstrong under Sir Brian.

Edited by stewiek2

Â