Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

I suppose the Kellyman and Iroegbunam deals have made Dougie’s valuation a little lower as it didn’t need to be the lone one to satisfy the PSR bullsh*t. Thus making the incoming players’ costs more manageable as well.

Wink wink. F PSR.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Yeah. £50,000,000-£60,000,000 isn't an alternative as it's not on offer. What we're accepting is clearly the best we can do with what has been offered to us before the 30th June deadline.

As for squad depth, there are still two months of the window to go. I don't understand the issues with this; do you not think Emery et al also recognise we lack depth? They will obviously rectify it.

If we're selling Luiz on 31st August, I'm concerned with you. June 22nd, not so much.

Look, I have full faith in Unai and Monchi.

But if you don't understand a football fan being extremely pissed off watching a key player of 5 year's standing walk out the door for what seems like a low enough valuation then this game has truly become a game for the accountants. He was a prized asset to us fans.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 3

This was pretty much the fee that was being reported throughout the whole saga. Should be no surprises at the outcome. 

• Like 1

I'd say that £43m for Luiz is very low, but equally so is £18m (£9m each) for two by all accounts very, very highly rated prospects from Juventus who could easily both be worth £25m+ each in a year or two tops.

One of the major drawbacks of swap deals with inflated prices is that they have a very positive impact on current accounts, but long-term those inflated fees can cause the amortisation costs in future accounts to shoot right up.

With that in mind and an uneducated guess, I wonder if both clubs were genuinely fine to lowball each other knowing that a) the numbers they've come to are enough to keep both clubs happy with financial rules, b) they're cautious about inflating those fees and having to deal with the long-term amortisation & c) both the fees being very lowball balances everything out so nobody's been scammed in the initial deal

I think it's important to keep in mind with this deal that it's got nothing to do about bringing in ready-made cash: this has solely been done with the intent to beat the financial rules. Saying that, I think just one of Iling Jr or Barrenechea has to be a success for this to end up being a very good deal for Villa and a poor one by Juve, retroactively speaking.

Edited by wishywashy

23 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

What's your alternative?

A forced sale without any alternatives, are often terrible deals, as it is in this case. It’s like the bank foreclosure on our house and sell it below what it was bough for, not great, but no alternative.

2 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

I'd say that £43m for Luiz is very low, but equally so is £18m (£9m each) for two by all accounts very, very highly rated prospects from Juventus who could easily both be worth £25m+ each in a year or two tops.

One of the major drawbacks of swap deals with inflated prices is that they have a very positive impact on current accounts, but long-term those inflated fees can cause the amortisation costs in future accounts to shoot right up.

With that in mind and an uneducated guess, I wonder if both clubs were genuinely fine to lowball each other knowing that a) the numbers they've come to are enough to keep both clubs happy with financial rules, b) they're cautious about inflating those fees and having to deal with the long-term amortisation & c) both the fees being very lowball balances everything out so nobody's been scammed in the initial deal

I think it's important to keep in mind with this deal that it's got nothing to do about bringing in ready-made cash: this has solely been done with the intent to beat the financial rules.

You might be on to something. The low values all round suggests there are there to keep amortisation down. 

• Like 1

I think it is clear that Juve would have sold Barrenechea and Iling-Junior for significantly more than €22m combined to any other club,  if that helps. It's why we even allowed them to have 10% sell-on clauses on both. 

If even one of them succeeds and the other flops, it will still work out to be a decent deal. Likewise if both turn out to be solid squad players. If both succeed, then it will obviously go down as fabulous business. 

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Isa said:

I think it is clear that Juve would have sold Barrenechea and Iling-Junior for significantly more than €22m combined to any other club,  if that helps. It's why we even allowed them to have 10% sell-on clauses on both. 

If even one of them succeeds and the other flops, it will still work out to be a decent deal. Likewise if both turn out to be solid squad players. If both succeed, then it will obviously go down as fabulous business. 

Exactly. These low fees by all sides are clearly by design. And given we've gotten the players who perhaps have more potential to develop value at dirt-cheap prices as a consequence of this swap deal, I think we stand a good chance of looking at this deal in a few years time and wondering how they pulled it off.

Shame to lose Luiz: his skillset is one of a kind. But he's wanted a move like this for a while, we've wanted a move like this to sort out our financial position, and we've done that and gotten some promising players on a discount in the process.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

It won’t be that high a sell on but I reckon it will be substantial … We’ve doubled our initial investment on him and made £30mill plus profit got two players in probs below their market value. My take is that he doesn’t want to necessarily leave but is asking for too much to renew and we’ve taken the decision to cash in on him. I’d rather  we were selling McGinn and/or Buendia over Dougie but cult hero status aside he’s replaceable. 

We have very serious negitators now. The fee might not look the best on paper, but it solves a short-term problem, helps bring in squad talent and I'm sure there's other stipulations attached to the sale. It helps all parties. Dougie gets his wish and we have less of a PSR headache.

1 minute ago, macandally said:

So we couldn’t have got that for Watkins? Or Martinez?  

I don’t think many (if any) are suggesting we would sell those two ahead of Luiz.

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

We’re all entitled to our views mate…

Personally, I don’t think it’s as simple or straightforward as that.

To me, at least, it was obvious that he was relied on (top 3 for most minutes played too) and highly valued by Unai. A key player for sure - he called him “the light of our side”… always spoke positively about him.  

Short on options regarding bringing big fees/deals in and battling PSR… might’ve been the most willing to leave out of those few players too. Ollie and Leon recently committed to new deals, Emi is clearly “all in” (what a guy).

I am not disputing he was one of the keys to last season, but I also feel Emery has been playing someone else’s players for 18 months, I think we could see what HE wants the side to be next year.  

That person at the base taking the ball off the keeper and resisting the press is intrinsic to everything else, Dougie (and Kamara tbf) both had issues under a concerted press there. 

I think Emery/Monchi will have someone lined up (Merino?) to be that anchor there

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah people who are acting like Unai has been itching to get rid since day one seem to be forgetting that he’s overseen three transfer windows without showing him the door.

Can’t have been that desperate to cash in on a player who’s apparently oh so surplus to requirements.

I think your twisting words now, please state where that rubbish was said (apart from in your own head!)?

Edited by macandally

Â