Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

8 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

The semi final first leg versus Olympiakos was the one for me. A truly atrocious performance that pretty much single handed got us knocked out of that tie. 

He also missed an open goal against Lille in extra time - headed weakily back at the keeper instead. It could be the lack of effort at times that was the most frustrating aspect. Of course, he doesn't intend to miss it, but not sure why he choose to head it. He's been great for us, but not irreplaceable and it's a little frustrating that valid criticisms of him are being so dismissed also.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Galway Lion said:

It’s also strange that Lehman is involved in the transfer as well.

I don't think it is particularly, it's worth remembering that she missed the Euros with Switzerland a couple of years back to go on holiday with him, she prioritises life over football, she was always likely to move to Italy when her boyfriend did - plus Turin is only about a 90 minute drive from her home town, so for her it's almost like going home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

any idea when this deal might actually go through?

Sounds like it is down to crossing the I's and dotting the T's now. So before the week's end I imagine. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Who would you rather have in your starting 11. Gallagher or Luiz?

Luiz obviously - but football is rarely about choices like that in isolation. 

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Luiz obviously - but football is rarely about choices like that in isolation. 

Yeah true. I feel Gallagher’s helter skelter style could work better in an Emery system especially if they get another defensive midfielder to play deeper.

Luiz or Gallagher. Tough one. I’ve felt for a while we lack energy and pace in our team at times. Players like Maatsen and Gallagher will give us that. Luiz is very good technically, for sure. 

• Like 4

We can try to argue as much as we want that Doug is not good enough for Brazil, that he is nothing without Kamara or that we beat Arsenal without him. The fact is that he was a very versatile player who fitted very well into the system we play. Very good at going down and picking up the ball, among other things. Would sell all our midfielders before Doug, if contract length and psr didn't matter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, striker said:

Gallagher every time. Brings much more to the table particularly in the Premiership.

It really struck a chord with me in his post match interview Emery implying that Villa couldn't handle the power of Palace.

If you look at who Villa have been linked to in this window since that last game of the season then the overall trait has been youthful athleticism! 

Furthermore, Villa received several hammerings being run ragged so that will also have not gone unnoticed.

Villa will be much better without Luiz as the linchpin of midfield and I'm so looking forward to that.

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe910lh9y7dzgzsb05ipc8

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

Who would you rather have in your starting 11. Gallagher or Luiz?

Luiz. If everyone is fit Gallagher wouldn't get into the main 11. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think it is particularly, it's worth remembering that she missed the Euros with Switzerland a couple of years back to go on holiday with him, she prioritises life over football, she was always likely to move to Italy when her boyfriend did - plus Turin is only about a 90 minute drive from her home town, so for her it's almost like going home.

I've said for a few days now that Dougie and Alisha decided to settle down and Turin was the best place to do it - he gets Champions League, she gets a top women's team also and we gain some squad talent. Hence why no other club came in for him. If you read Dougie's interview with the Guardian, he made it very clear that Unai is very much a father figure also who wants to know what his players are thinking, struggling with or thriving on. It's important to remember that footballers are people too. I don't blame them for wanting a change of scene and somewhere they can feel more settled.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

I've said for a few days now that Dougie and Alisha decided to settle down and Turin was the best place to do it - he gets Champions League, she gets a top women's team also and we gain some squad talent. Hence why no other club came in for him. If you read Dougie's interview with the Guardian, he made it very clear that Unai is very much a father figure also who wants to know what his players are thinking, struggling with or thriving on. It's important to remember that footballers are people too. I don't blame them for wanting a change of scene and somewhere they can feel more settled.

Yeah it’s totally fair, good luck to them.

My concern (for all that a lot of people think he’s overrated and a Nigel Reo-Coker clone from Chelsea can do better ;) ) is with Dougie and Kamara in our midfield we were the second-best team in the country for months - basically a year. That’s a fact, we won more points than Arsenal, Liverpool etc over that time. After they stopped playing together because of injuries, suspensions etc, and for all that people cite the odd game against Arsenal where we did well with neither, our form dropped to midtable and we only just made CL. So with the two of them together in midfield we are consistently a “title-challenging” team (in terms of points), and without them we are simply not - and we are starting the new season without either.

But - I trust Unai, trust the club, and it’s a long time until the first game of the season.

• Like 4

One good thing about this transfer, you can wish him well unlike if he want went to PL competitor, would hesitate to do so. 
But right now, the only fear would be us playing them in CL which is a possibility itself, we know the chances of him scoring against us. 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Yeah it’s totally fair, good luck to them.

My concern (for all that a lot of people think he’s overrated and a Nigel Reo-Coker clone from Chelsea can do better ;) ) is with Dougie and Kamara in our midfield we were the second-best team in the country for months - basically a year. That’s a fact, we won more points than Arsenal, Liverpool etc over that time. After they stopped playing together because of injuries, suspensions etc, and for all that people cite the odd game against Arsenal where we did well with neither, our form dropped to midtable and we only just made CL. So with the two of them together in midfield we are consistently a “title-challenging” team (in terms of points), and without them we are simply not - and we are starting the new season without either.

But - I trust Unai, trust the club, and it’s a long time until the first game of the season.

The thing is, Unai doesn’t want to be second best does he?

Â