Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

28 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Must be pretty much done and dusted. 

sad to see him go but at least we won’t have him lining up against us in the league for the next few seasons! 

is that an actual picture of him in a Juve shirt, or just a very good photoshop?

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

is that an actual picture of him in a Juve shirt, or just a very good photoshop?

I’m now lead (some of the comments under the original message) to believe it could be an decent photoshop and it came from a Juve fan site 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

On the balance of last season, our two best outfield players were Doug and Watkins. His ability to dictate the tempo of games, keep the ball moving, pick the ball up off the ball four or keeper and get it moving forward, his set pieces, his passing, his creativity, his energy and his calmness and decision making are absolutely first class. He's the best central midfielder we've had since Barry. 

You only need to look at England to see how prohibitive not having this type of midfielder can be to your play (of course they have other major issues too). If we don't replace Doug, unfortunately I think we will not be as effective in our press-resistant playing out from the back style, or we might even change styles completely. It's a huge blow that some people seemingly won't see the impact of until we're well into the season.

• Like 2

Just now, Keyblade said:

You only need to look at England to see how prohibitive not having this type of midfielder can be to your play (of course they have other major issues too). If we don't replace Doug, unfortunately I think we will not be as effective in our press-resistant playing out from the back style, or we might even change styles completely. It's a huge blow that some people seemingly won't see the impact of until we're well into the season.

we have to replace him with a new signing, i 100% agree that we must replace him, while i think he is our most replaceable high value asset, i also agree that the only way to replace him is to invest a big chunk of money doing so, we wont be in a good position if we dont, as you say.

Im 99% certain we will get a replacement in, it would be literal madness not to.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, sne said:

Doug played almost 4500 minutes for us last season. His form dropping towards the end was not surprising considering. To say he was diabolical is comically ott. And for the first month or so after Kamara got injured he certainly wasn't.

You can make excuses for him all you want. He either stopped giving a shit as soon as Juve came knocking or went desperately missing at the sharp end of the season. Definition of diabolical for me to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, DakotaVilla said:

You can make excuses for him all you want. He either stopped giving a shit as soon as Juve came knocking or went desperately missing at the sharp end of the season. Definition of diabolical for me to be honest.

Fair enough, I disagree.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I’m now lead (some of the comments under the original message) to believe it could be an decent photoshop and it came from a Juve fan site 

That's too good a Photoshop surely. The lighting is perfect and it's his current hair / beard style. 

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

Doug was diabolically bad after Kamara got injured and probably after his head was turned by Juventus so your comment is an insult to Tielemans, McGinn and the entire defence who actually covered for him for the most meaningful run in the last forty years - where the player you describe was completely and utterly absent . 

No.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Don’t care how many minutes he put in. That performance against Palace was pathetic. He wasn’t the only one that day. But the way he downed tools in such a low effort way was I’m sorry to say an insult. He’s been a great servant to the club but you can’t excuse that. 

Are you still salty about that game?

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Don’t care how many minutes he put in. That performance against Palace was pathetic. He wasn’t the only one that day. But the way he downed tools in such a low effort way was I’m sorry to say an insult. He’s been a great servant to the club but you can’t excuse that. 

You've done this with break ups before haven't you.

That's an embarrassing statement.

• Like 1

Couldn't care less about the palace game.  And aside from that he started looking poor around the same time that he got to 40 games worth of minutes. He then had to continue playing virtually every minute and playing outside his ideal position, without a proper DM to assist him. 

I dont agree with those saying he carried on performing,  but I do believe there's a perfectly valid excuse for why he didn't.

He'll be a big loss, but I still think he's the easiest of our biggest three names to replace, so if he won't sign a new contract,  and we have to sell someone to fund a midfield that is in Emery's ideal vision then so be it. 

Assuming he goes to Juve, I wish him well, and thank him for not abandoning us when he had every right to, and then playing a key role in delivering our best season in my living memory. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

we have to replace him with a new signing, i 100% agree that we must replace him, while i think he is our most replaceable high value asset, i also agree that the only way to replace him is to invest a big chunk of money doing so, we wont be in a good position if we dont, as you say.

Im 99% certain we will get a replacement in, it would be literal madness not to.

It's going to take a Monchi special to get a player at least as good as him. I'm really dreading this endeavour because these midfielders are going extinct. But I trust Emery and Monchi.

He was off the pace after coming back in from suspension, we beat arsenal in the last of those three games he missed.

Which was surprising as I think we all felt he would come back in revitalised and refreshed.

• Like 1

Final figures of the operation between Juventus and Aston Villa: 25/27 million plus the price tag of Barrenechea and that of Iling-Jr (the Juventus club will retain 10% on the future resale of both players)”

22 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's going to take a Monchi special to get a player at least as good as him. I'm really dreading this endeavour because these midfielders are going extinct. But I trust Emery and Monchi.

I agree with you that Dougie will be hard to replace, but of all our positions, I think there are enough CMs out there on the move this summer that we could probably replace him both in the short and long term the easiest, as opposed to selling Watkins, Bailey, Martinez, etc.  There are good enough players we've been linked to so far that I trust Monchi/Emery will pull off a masterstroke after the Euros.  Gallagher, Merino, Veiga, etc. 

19 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I agree with you that Dougie will be hard to replace, but of all our positions, I think there are enough CMs out there on the move this summer that we could probably replace him both in the short and long term the easiest, as opposed to selling Watkins, Bailey, Martinez, etc.  There are good enough players we've been linked to so far that I trust Monchi/Emery will pull off a masterstroke after the Euros.  Gallagher, Merino, Veiga, etc. 

I hear you but man, if we sign Gallagher to replace Luiz we're absolutely cooked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â