Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

27 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Quite probably one of the most overrated midfielders we’ve ever had. It’s amazing what a penalties can do for the reputation of a player. 

The fact that he was the worst player on the pitch pretty much every game after Kamara got injured seems to be ignored.

It’s not really a fact, though, is it?

15 minutes ago, OhioVilla said:

Illing for 15m seems really low, doesn't it?

Feels high considering what he's done in his career and since he only has 1 year left on his contract. But potential and nationality possibly bumps it up.

I always felt he wasn't 100% towards the end of the season and that he might have a deal in place to go - just seemed to be the case. He didn't sign a new deal according to a few places, if so, then good luck to him but this is the business of football. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jareth said:

I always felt he wasn't 100% towards the end of the season and that he might have a deal in place to go - just seemed to be the case. He didn't sign a new deal according to a few places, if so, then good luck to him but this is the business of football. 

He played almost 4500 minutes this season. No wonder he was knackered towards the end.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Feels high considering what he's done in his career and since he only has 1 year left on his contract. But potential and nationality possibly bumps it up.

Done more than Chukwuemeka, who also had 12 months left.

Just now, duke313 said:

Done more than Chukwuemeka, who also had 12 months left.

Yeah Chelsea love spending money.

It’s worth remembering Luiz could have gone for zilch last summer. With that in mind the proposed deal is potentially really good.

I wouldn’t think of it as a Milner/Ireland deal, I’m thinking of it as more like the Delph thing where he could have gone for nothing but we ended up with a token amount.

Of course it’s not exactly the same, Luiz is better than Delph was. But we’re receiving more for him, we had one more season out of him and he’s leaving us in a far better shape than when Delph left. And there’s less of a feeling we’ve had the rug pulled beneath us on this. It’s feels like it’s been managed with a bit of foresight.

I like Dougie and think he's a baller but more suited to Serie A than the PL. Too many times seen him knocked to the deck, arms in the air as the ref waves away any chance of a foul and the opposition break on us. 

Seems to have been a good character to have around though and had plenty of "moments" in Villa shirt. We will look back fondly on his time here and I hope all goes well at Juve, but I have a sneaky feeling we will have got the better deal here over time. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

On the balance of last season, our two best outfield players were Doug and Watkins. His ability to dictate the tempo of games, keep the ball moving, pick the ball up off the ball four or keeper and get it moving forward, his set pieces, his passing, his creativity, his energy and his calmness and decision making are absolutely first class. He's the best central midfielder we've had since Barry. 

Doug was diabolically bad after Kamara got injured and probably after his head was turned by Juventus so your comment is an insult to Tielemans, McGinn and the entire defence who actually covered for him for the most meaningful run in the last forty years - where the player you describe was completely and utterly absent . 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Doug was diabolically bad after Kamara got injured and probably after his head was turned by Juventus so your comment is an insult to Tielemans, McGinn and the entire defence who actually covered for him for the most meaningful run in the last forty years - where the player you describe was completely and utterly absent . 

Doug played almost 4500 minutes for us last season. His form dropping towards the end was not surprising considering. To say he was diabolical is comically ott. And for the first month or so after Kamara got injured he certainly wasn't.

• Like 3

Just now, theboyangel said:

Must be pretty much done and dusted. 

sad to see him go but at least we won’t have him lining up against us in the league for the next few seasons! 

Probably see him in the autumn no doubt, as can see us being drawn against Juve. Always seems to happen. Shame he’s going but our balance sheet requires it.

7 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Must be pretty much done and dusted. 

sad to see him go but at least we won’t have him lining up against us in the league for the next few seasons! 

He looks so happy to be there.

48 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

Honestly I'm ok with the deal.

I think he's generally overrated and has been slightly above average for most of his time at Villa. It's the right time to sell as his stock is still high despite an underwhelming end to the season.

Yes his range of passing is very good and he is somewhat versatile as he can play as a 6, 8 and even 10 if needed. Also he has balls of steel on pens. But that's almost it for me.

He's not as good at controlling tempo as many of us think. Imo he often gets it wrong and makes us play slow at the wrong times and isn't able to calm things down and keep possession when we're under pressure. Apart from pens his set pieces are average at best. He's been here since 2019 and speaks practically zero English. I think strong communication skills are really important in his role. He needs to direct play but also understand what is asked of him. Also, his concentration levels drops regularly during key moments e.g. after he scores you'll notice him feeling himself too much and trying unnecessary flicks, roulettes etc.

Lastly if he really is that good, there would be more clubs knocking on our door and we wouldn't need to find a compromise with Juve.

I would have been happy with 45-50m in the current market.

Please don't shoot me.

While i think your statement is a "little" harsh, i do completely understand where you are coming from.

I think he is technically a very good midfielder, a modern/technical midfielder, but if he has any weaknesses its his physicality, and it did show itself quite a few times, especially when we were under pressure, or needed more bite in the centre.

I dont want to put him down, he is a quality player, but i still think he is the most replaceable of all our most valuable assets, if you can get a player who is 90% of what Luiz is on the ball, and get the physicality and athleticism as well, that would immediately improve us in the centre of the pitch.

Obviously, getting that type of player is easier said than done, but there are more quality no.8s out there i think, numbers wise, than most other positions on the pitch.

He will be superb at Juve tho, he's already used to the cut and thrust, high tempo and physicality of the PL, going to Serie A, a little less physical, a little more time on the ball, he will shine i think.

Edited by MaVilla

As sad as I am to see him leave, I do find it so much more palatable that he's moving to a genuinely huge, decorated club in Europe as opposed to just getting picked off by a Premier League club that happens to be above us in the food chain, as so often has happened previously.

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I wonder if we were happy selling Luiz to any team outside the PL for say £50m as oppose to say Arsenal for £65m. 

i wouldnt be, i wouldnt care where he went as long as we got top buck, if Arsenal, City, or someone else dont buy Luiz, who could afford the 65/70m, they just go out and buy a player just as good, or better, its irrelevant to us imo.

We just need top dollar, its that simple imo.

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

As sad as I am to see him leave, I do find it so much more palatable that he's moving to a genuinely huge, decorated club in Europe as opposed to just getting picked off by a Premier League club that happens to be above us in the food chain, as so often has happened previously.

I agree, we are not that club anymore and it feels good

Â