Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It all depends on what the two players we are getting in exchange bring to the squad whether it's a good deal or not.  Otherwise we are just giving them an £80 million pound player for next to nothing..

I have faith in Unai and Monchi to be able to double or triple the value of the players we are getting in.

I'm happy in the sense that they are young with high ceilings.

We've seen what Unai is capable of.

• Like 4

See ya, Doug.

Average for a long while, good, then very good, then back to being good. 

Kamara is a much better player and towards the end of the season, so was Tielemans. He'll be missed because he IS a good player, but he was always going to be the most replaceable of all our saleable assets. 

I'm convinced we'll go out and still spend big on a central midfielder. Ideally one that's more defensive minded. 

• Like 2

Quite probably one of the most overrated midfielders we’ve ever had. It’s amazing what a penalties can do for the reputation of a player. 

The fact that he was the worst player on the pitch pretty much every game after Kamara got injured seems to be ignored.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think that's true as long as they play. There's a clear path at the moment to the first team for Barrenechea, but it's hard to see how Illing forces his way on. Can't seem him playing left back ahead of Maatsen (or Digne) which means he'll be competing with Ramsey and Rogers for one spot. 

We're selling our arguably our best outfield player (him or Watkins imo) for some cash and some depth.

Alex Baena says hi 👋🏽 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think that's true as long as they play. There's a clear path at the moment to the first team for Barrenechea, but it's hard to see how Illing forces his way on. Can't seem him playing left back ahead of Maatsen (or Digne) which means he'll be competing with Ramsey and Rogers for one spot. 

We're selling our arguably our best outfield player (him or Watkins imo) for some cash and some depth.

My guess with Iling Jr is he takes Zaniolo's spot in the squad while at the same time Unai works on turning him into an attacking left back gradually over the course of the season.  We need to keep either Digne or Moreno for a season though imo.  He looks like becoming a very good player anyway.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

On the balance of last season, our two best outfield players were Doug and Watkins. His ability to dictate the tempo of games, keep the ball moving, pick the ball up off the ball four or keeper and get it moving forward, his set pieces, his passing, his creativity, his energy and his calmness and decision making are absolutely first class. He's the best central midfielder we've had since Barry. 

I think he keeps the ball well and is good at set pieces. However, he is arguably part of the problem in midfield. If you look how we got dominated in that area of the pitch against Chelsea then it's easy to see why

A lack of physicality and athleticism is a reason why we struggle to impose our style in some games. Maybe it will benefit us to get some more energy and strength in the midfield and getting rid of Dougie gives us an opportunity to do so.

43 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I wonder what the breakdown is?

Illing Jr - 25m, Barrenechea - 15m, Money - 30m = 70m

or

Illing Jr - 20m, Barrenechea - 10m, Money - 30m = 60m

or something?

My guess is Iling 15m, Barra 15m, cash 30m = 60m.   All figures in Euros.   Which means we got £50m for Luiz.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

My guess is Iling 15m, Barra 15m, cash 30m = 60m.   All figures in Euros.   Which means we got £50m for Luiz.

Illing for 15m seems really low, doesn't it?

1 minute ago, OhioVilla said:

Illing for 15m seems really low, doesn't it?

if i were a betting man, i would guess 20m for Illing, 15m for Barra, 30m cash, 65m euros, so £55m for Luiz overall.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

On the balance of last season, our two best outfield players were Doug and Watkins. His ability to dictate the tempo of games, keep the ball moving, pick the ball up off the ball four or keeper and get it moving forward, his set pieces, his passing, his creativity, his energy and his calmness and decision making are absolutely first class. He's the best central midfielder we've had since Barry. 

As good as could be, his petulance and lack of physical presence when not alongside Bouba hurt us a lot. Too many silly bookings last season. A lot was expected of him. Scored some lovely goals, but I think cashing in now allows us to build a different kind of midfield which is exciting. An important player for us, but I argue not the most important. His attitude at times, expressly towards the end of the season be it in the Conference or against Palace cannot be down to fatigue alone. Wish him well, but we will be stronger for it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ender4 said:

I don't know. Is he much better than Barrenechea?

Illing Jr played in 27 games for Juve last season, 1000 minutes, so 11 full games equivalent.

Barra played for relegated Frosinone on loan, 39 total games, 3000 minutes, so 33 full games equivalent.

I guess its what you value more?

It was mentioned in a few tweets previously that our price was €65m and I remember seeing Iling Jnr down as €20m when we had the McKennie package so I would guess it's as stated below

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

if i were a betting man, i would guess 20m for Illing, 15m for Barra, 30m cash, 65m euros, so £55m for Luiz overall.

£55m goes into the books from Luiz and another £9m from Tim so hopefully that does what we need for this month and then we start cooking for real  - i hope!

Just now, _AA_786 said:

It was mentioned in a few tweets previously that our price was €65m and I remember seeing Iling Jnr down as €20m when we had the McKennie package so I would guess it's as stated below

£55m goes into the books from Luiz and another £9m from Tim so hopefully that does what we need for this month and then we start cooking for real  - i hope!

ye, 55m from Luiz, 9m from Timmy, hopefully that does it as you say for PSR?

then we might have Duran, Cash & Archer, and one of Digne and Moreno on top of that at some point?

There's also no guarantee that Luiz will do well at Juventus it goes both ways, before Emery he was pretty good but inconsistent, he wasn't anywhere near as good as he became, who's to say outside of Emery's system he will be the same player

Iling should get plenty of game time, he can play on either wing as he's two footed, and I suspet Rogers will get a lot of game time as a number ten, at which point Iling becomes second choice left sided player

If thirty million plus Iling and Enzo is true, then that seems a good deal to me, given Luiz had just two years left on his deal, as Emery can turn the two players we're getting into thirty million pound players, Iling was being linked to Spurs and Newcastle for twenty million or more before he was part of this deal, and we have had a long standing interest

A lot will also depend on how we replace Luiz, we might find a better player for our system

Of course it could all go wrong, Iling and Enzo could flop, we could not spend the money we're getting very well, and Luiz could become a hundred million plus level player for Juventus leaving us feeling we let him go too cheaply, but any transfer can go wrong

I suspect all parties will end up doing okay out of the deal that's what I hope

• Like 1

Â