Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Thoughts of the Scottish Cafu:

“I like Junior, he’s a good winger, a really good player,” he told Football Insider.

“You can see he’s very gifted technically, he likes running at people and he can make things happen, so I do understand that.

“McKennie, I’m not sure about. There’s been a lot of hype surrounding him for a number of years.

“Whenever I’ve seen him, he’s not been a standout.

“Douglas Luiz is one of the main men and one of the main reasons why we are where we are. If Juventus want to pay upwards of £50million, no problem, that’s money coming into the club.

“When they’re trying to give us two players they don’t want, it doesn’t add up. 

“They’re getting one of the best players from Aston Villa, who are playing in the Champions League next year, and Villa are getting two players they just want to get rid of? That’s a shock to me.
“It doesn’t add up for me.”

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

But, from a different angle, why isn’t it City, Madrid, Barca, Atleti, Inter, PSG, Bayern coming in for him? Instead it’s Juve who have struggled for a few years in their league and Europe. Ok - they won the Italian super cup last month… but it’s not immensely impressive.
That article also doesn’t consider the fact that they probably don’t have the money and so swapping two players, who are both starters, and played in the super cup final, is all they really can do, along with a small kicker of between £10-20m or so. 

Not saying Hutton is wrong, but it’s a bit short sighted, IMO. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

But, from a different angle, why isn’t it City, Madrid, Barca, Atleti, Inter, PSG, Bayern coming in for him?

Well Arsenal were so there is that.  Additionally most of those teams don’t need that type of player and if they did they might look at him like Arsenal have.

3 minutes ago, Tayls said:

is all they really can do

But we aren’t a charity, just because that’s all they can do isn’t our problem.  It’s also not true, they have plenty of players we’d swap for over McKennie and Iling-Jnr but Juve wouldnt want to let them players go.  It’s such a strange transfer and it’s just down to PSR and we are taking the hit for it.

I think that clubs know our financial position and will be watching the situation knowing that the nearer to July it gets if we haven’t resolved our PSR issues then we’ll be desperate to sell. If this Juve deal falls through it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a rush of interest for him in a couple of weeks.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Well Arsenal were so there is that.  Additionally most of those teams don’t need that type of player and if they did they might look at him like Arsenal have.

They were but probably under different circumstances when Dougie was nearing the end of his contract. 

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But we aren’t a charity, just because that’s all they can do isn’t our problem.  It’s also not true, they have plenty of players we’d swap for over McKennie and Iling-Jnr but Juve wouldnt want to let them players go.  It’s such a strange transfer and it’s just down to PSR and we are taking the hit for it.

And yes I agree. The PSR BS thing is our issue though, not Juve’s. And how do we know Unai and co haven’t selected those players specifically? One is a LB/LW which we arguably need cover for… and one is a CM who is different to Doug but gives us another CM option. 

I personally think if we allow this transfer to be finalised, it’s because Unai is happy to let Doug go… PSR or not. 

Edited by Tayls

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think that clubs know our financial position and will be watching the situation knowing that the nearer to July it gets if we haven’t resolved our PSR issues then we’ll be desperate to sell. If this Juve deal falls through it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a rush of interest for him in a couple of weeks.

Highly doubtful this will fall through now 

Hutton is totally right. If this deal is to happen we should be taking one of there better players atleast. 

Soule + 30 mill would even be better. 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

We have had interest in both McKennie and Iling-Jnr in the past. Stop peddling this narrative that we are just taking cast-offs for the sake of it.

You really think a man like Emery who has this whole team around him is just going to take players he is given? or that they will sign players that he doesn't want? Use your head.

• Like 3

Maybe Late but I just saw a Romano video saying. It's basically done.

Doug has said yes and agreed everything with Juve.

McKennie is happy with Villa but wants to clarify his exit money with Juve, and Iling Jr just wants some more clarity on his role in the team.

But the " Here we go " is closer than ever etc 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Maybe Late but I just saw a Romano video saying. It's basically done.

Doug has said yes and agreed everything with Juve.

McKennie is happy with Villa but wants to clarify his exit money with Juve, and Iling Jr just wants some more clarity on his role in the team.

But the " Here we go " is closer than ever etc 

About time. Nothing more destabilising than drawn - out transfer sagas.

23 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I still cannot believe how many Villa fans think Douglas Luiz is overrated. Ever since he joined it’s like everyone’s watching two different games every week.

He is one of the best midfielders in world football imo. Yes he has had some dips in form, but he’s consistently been available week after week for 5 seasons now.

He’s played DM / CM / AM under three different managers and a lot of different systems without ever complaining publicly about anything.

He’s grown into a key player in a side that has now qualified for the champions league, and he’s only 26 year old.

…and there’s still people who think this is a good deal for us because we looked decent for a couple of games when McGinn and Tielemans were starting? **** sake that is bonkers.

The idea that he only looks good next to Kamara is also complete nonsense.

There will still be people on here saying he’s shit and overrated, and there’s nothing more to his game than tidy passes, when he has a Champions league and World Cup under his belt…. Which he probably will. It’s so confusing.

With you 100%, but the stupidest thing people say is “he needs Kamara to hold his hand” - no, when Kamara isn’t available, he’s the one trusted to play out of position and his form suffers. I said on here the other day, he played in our CM pairing every week when we were challenging top of the league. He was consistently in it throughout 2023 when we got more points than anyone but Man City, and the main reason we did it was he and Kamara outclassed every midfield they came up against - even when playing against a midfield three. Worried about starting next season with neither of them - but just have to trust Unai/hope for the best.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tayls said:

But, from a different angle, why isn’t it City, Madrid, Barca, Atleti, Inter, PSG, Bayern coming in for him?

Juve are the biggest team in Italy, even though as you say they are not at their best right now. Always going to be able to attract a player over the likes of Atletico Madrid or even Inter. Not that I think they are chasing DL, but if he goes he’s signing for Italy’s equivalent of Man United (and everything that comes with that, good and bad…)

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think he is both underrated AND overrated.

The cliche of " truth somewhere in the middle " applies as always

I think most.people appreciate how good he is, the wider question among the fanbase is,.... given the circumstances, how much easier is he to replace than say, Ollie Watkins,.Emi Martinez, McGinn etc?

I think this is where the answer lies 

No, I don't think we are going to implode without Luiz, and I think we can either find midfielders, or a midfield structure which can be equal to or better than him overall in forming a team unit.

There is no point pretending he doesn't have his own weaknesses either. I've seen BOTH him and Kamara getting bullied in certain games too.

99 percent of us would rather NOT lose him, but the reality is as above imo.

It's almost guaranteed in discussion with board and Monchi, needing to sell for PSR, wheeling and dealing or not, Unai will have told them who he feels is untouchable for him in the team and is a " keep at all costs ".

It is somehow both true that Luiz is by far our best midfielder yet the most able to replace should he depart of our key players. 

Lest we forget that two of our best matches without Kamara, Arsenal away and Bournemouth at home, were without Luiz. 

Whereas we have looked utter shambles without Emi and Watkins is rarely ever injured, which itself is a remarkable skill. 

• Like 1

Â