Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

10 minutes ago, striker said:

Yet as far as we know no-one from the Prem has come in for him which is rated the best league about.

I think that doesn't do my reasoning any harm really.

He's vastly overrated on here but seemingly not by Emery or other Premiership managers.

Yeah Emery famously has taken every opportunity to bench him, we’ve barely seen Douglas since Emery took charge.

Definitely doesn’t rate him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I think different people just find different ways to cope, in this case, it's like when someone breaks up with you suddenly you never loved them any way kind of deal...

3zkplu.jpg?a477240

Never really loved him it was just sex 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

He definitely missed Kamara, and he definitely suits playing in the "8" not the "6". My overall take is that when things are going well for the team, he looks class, he's got something "brazilian" about him, but when things get a bit ugly, I think he goes missing (occasionally).

What I don't like about this take, and you aren't the only one to have said this, so please don't see this as an attack on you, is that it completely ignores what Luiz did after lockdown in our survival season under the utmost pressure in a position where it has become obvious he is not suited, he delivered. When it really mattered he was there, he showed his metal.

Yes his form dropped off, and there are numerous factors for that, but he's a great player who was integral to our unreal early season form, when he was in his correct position and not completely knackered.

He doesn't go missing any more than anyone else in my opinion, nor does he take hold of and boss a game like Vieira and Keane used to do, because that's something only the very best can do, sometimes when a team is struggling it's just not possible to show your best, especially when out of position and overrun with exhaustion. The expectations we set on our players sometimes are just unreasonable, he's one of the best midfielders in the league, most teams would love to have him, but for some, that's not enough, unless he's the absolute best he's expendable. It's maddening.

He will be replaced, and life will go on, but I don't think that it is going to be so easy to replace what he gives us.

We lose our set piece taker, our penalty taker, our metronome in the middle of the pitch, one of our leaders, and quite simply one of our most talented players, but yeah Tielemans did well for a couple of games so it's all fixed I guess... I like Tielemans, but he's not yet shown that he is as robust or as consistent as Luiz, so it is a risk, I guess Barkley is possibly being brought in to offset that risk somewhat, and who knows maybe we have someone else lined up to replace him, we'll just have to wait and see.

It's okay to accept he's been really good for us, but he's leaving, it's fine, it's happened plenty of times before, we don't need to try and rationalise it by trying to make out he's rubbish, or he has glaring weaknesses, he's not and he doesn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He's the most replacable asset we have with a decent value. Love watch him play when we're in control of games. When we lose control and haven't got lots of possession then he at his worst, can't tackle, can't press the ball and his positioning is poor. 

If Emery is happy to let him go then he must have a plan on who's going to replace him and that's exciting.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

What I don't like about this take, and you aren't the only one to have said this, so please don't see this as an attack on you, is that it completely ignores what Luiz did after lockdown in our survival season under the utmost pressure in a position where it has become obvious he is not suited, he delivered. When it really mattered he was there, he showed his metal.

Yes his form dropped off, and there are numerous factors for that, but he's a great player who was integral to our unreal early season form, when he was in his correct position and not completely knackered.

He doesn't go missing any more than anyone else in my opinion, nor does he take hold of and boss a game like Vieira and Keane used to do, because that's something only the very best can do, sometimes when a team is struggling it's just not possible to show your best, especially when out of position and overrun with exhaustion. The expectations we set on our players sometimes are just unreasonable, he's one of the best midfielders in the league, most teams would love to have him, but for some, that's not enough, unless he's the absolute best he's expendable. It's maddening.

He will be replaced, and life will go on, but I don't think that it is going to be so easy to replace what he gives us.

We lose our set piece taker, our penalty taker, our metronome in the middle of the pitch, one of our leaders, and quite simply one of our most talented players, but yeah Tielemans did well for a couple of games so it's all fixed I guess... I like Tielemans, but he's not yet shown that he is as robust or as consistent as Luiz, so it is a risk, I guess Barkley is possibly being brought in to offset that risk somewhat, and who knows maybe we have someone else lined up to replace him, we'll just have to wait and see.

It's okay to accept he's been really good for us, but he's leaving, it's fine, it's happened plenty of times before, we don't need to try and rationalise it by trying to make out he's rubbish, or he has glaring weaknesses, he's not and he doesn't.

To be fair, if you read my whole post, I did say that many times he has played very well and he has been a key component in our great run / performances, but.. occasionally he went missing towards the end of the season, and you're correct, he's not the only one that did.

I'm also aware of the fact, he was tired and playing out of position. I also would much prefer him to stay. 

I was just answering a post that said his form didn't fall of the end of a cliff, I think it did. But that's just my opinion.

Edited by WakefieldVillan

This might have been asked and answered already so sorry if that’s the case but this thread has been very busy. 

if we sell Duran do we need to sell dougie ? Or is that irrelevant because he wants to go anyway ?

1 minute ago, punkiller1981 said:

This might have been asked and answered already so sorry if that’s the case but this thread has been very busy. 

if we sell Duran do we need to sell dougie ? Or is that irrelevant because he wants to go anyway ?

Doug goes because we want him to go, that's the reality behind it all. Dougs happy at villa, he's made that perfectly clear. Duran.........he's chasing a dream.

1 minute ago, Deano & Dalian's Umbrella said:

Has he said "there she blows!" yet?

He said “make it so” but news is Patrick Stewart is preparing to sue for copyright infringement 👀

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah Emery famously has taken every opportunity to bench him, we’ve barely seen Douglas since Emery took charge.

Definitely doesn’t rate him.

Who else was he going to play instead....Chambers?😂

2 hours ago, tinker said:

He's the most replacable asset we have with a decent value. Love watch him play when we're in control of games. When we lose control and haven't got lots of possession then he at his worst, can't tackle, can't press the ball and his positioning is poor. 

If Emery is happy to let him go then he must have a plan on who's going to replace him and that's exciting.

Luiz is a very good player, but certainly not irreplaceable. His main attributes are keeping possession under pressure, passing and set pieces. On the flip side, he is slow, has questionable work rate at times and isn't particularly good at tackling. As you said, there are a reasonable number who could replicate his positive skills and certainly plenty who can improve on his weaker aspects.

9 minutes ago, striker said:

Who else was he going to play instead....Chambers?😂

Well he chose to play Luiz rather often, seemingly didn’t try and offload him at all last summer. Emery (Monchi) has managed to offload other people on loan or wherever. Which is weird because you think he doesn’t rate him.

Just an odd thing to do, play him all the time, have him on penalties, set pieces, even making him captain on occasion.

Yeah, Emery clearly had no appreciation of him whatsoever.

8 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I was absolutely devastated as a 14 year old when David Platt left us in 1991.

At 21, I was pretty gutted when Dwight Yorke left us in 1998.

The selling of Gareth Barry in 2009,  James Milner (2010) and Fabian Delph & Christian Benteke (2015) were all disappointing, but inevitable.

43 years old (FFS) and I was back to being devastated again in 2021 when "one of our own" Jack Grealish departed. 

But it was at this point, and to now, where it doesn't bother me now one bit. Players come, players go. Aston Villa FC will always remain. 

Douglas Luiz is a cracking player, it's a shame if he/when he leaves, but, I trust the owners / Emery to have a plan in place, and I trust their judgement more than anyone right now.

Of course, I would like hime to stay, and FFP / PSR is a joke right for sure, but I think Luiz for all his positive attributes, and there are quite a few, he did at times go missing when the going got tough.

All of the above.

Luiz has been a great servant and a key figure in the rebirth and renaissance of Aston Villa, but of all the big players that we could sell, he is the one I am most comfortable in sacrificing for FFP/PSR reasons. Martinez/Watkins would be much bigger shoes to fill. 

As for the players coming in, if Emery is happy then thats good enough for me. He's never been about big name flash signings, more about getting the right type of skill/profile for the gap in the team. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Can you name some players who we can sign that can set the tempo of a game and keep possession of the ball like he does for us? That type of midfielder is going extinct, it'll be some feat to find another. We have plenty of more replaceable players to be honest. 

I get the feeling we'll be changing our style this season. Start to resemble Emery's Villarreal side more. We seem to be after terrier type players, so far at least and are letting go our most important player for our possession bases style.

Yea maybe we Will and I don't know a player who can do what Doug does.for us, Tielemans has the passing ability but he's not so comfortable/relaxed in possession. 

I don't think we have another player we could lose and get a decent return and replace as easily. I'm talking Watkins, Martinez, Bailey and Torres, those players have re sale value that matches Doug's but would be even harder to replace.

I do think Emery has a plan and this plan isn't rushed, its been in the wings for sometime and Emery has referenced difficult choices and the fact we have to be clever in the market and this sale is part of that plan.

We Will all miss him but the health of the club is paramount and Dougs sale, if the rumours are true, is the most sensible option. IMHO.

5 hours ago, david-avfc said:

Tielemans is a great player at certain things but I don’t think he’s as good as Luiz as an all round player. There’s no doubt Tielemans is the best forward passer in the squad and therefore he’s a great player to use tactically, but I’m not quite convinced I’ve seen enough from him to be confident he can replace Luiz as a guy who is a key player in every game and plays virtually every minute available 

I think Tielemans is better forward passer and better defensively. I just don't know how he will do as controlling the tempo, dictating the game. Luiz was exceptional at that and it's why Emery always talked to him during games. "Control Douglas"

• Like 1

I actually still can't believe this deal.

That there's not someone willing to buy Luiz for £40-50m. That's surely better than getting these two+£18m.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2

Â