Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

I find it poetic that Doug is featured in the AVFC official calendar for the month of June which also happens to be the month he will be sold.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Isn't it poetic that both of our Brazilians who are departing this summer both played for Vasco De Gama in there youth career. 

Disappointed to see a player of his calibre leave.
He has been a wonderful servant and a pivotal piece in our recent rejuvenation. 
Heavy heartedly, I wish him well in all his future endeavours.

UTV

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jas10 said:

At least Merse gets it… unlike so many of our fans… short term memories…

Spot on

Merse is wrong. As usual, bless him.

He wasn't good after Christmas at all. Probably less consistent than  McGinn across the season. Plus now the story is he can't play well without Kamara? We should definitely be selling him if that is the case (it isn't, Doug was just underperforming).

No Villa fan wants him to leave. He's a very good player. Strongly suspect he wouldn't sign a contract, so he has to be sold. That's that.

I'm certainly not happy with McKennie and Sammy Iling in exchange. We do have our backs to wall if we're not getting any offers over sat £40m though.

Very much hope to be wrong on that. Cannot see for the life of me how we plan to build out from the back without a like-for-like Doug replacement.

Edited by Tomaszk

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

Apart from the fact he dropped off after Christmas and was generally poor after Kamara's injury. Our best two performances in the "run in" were the two games he missed through suspension. Good player but I don't think we'll miss him all that much.

One of the main reasons we got CL - and were challenging the top of the table in December - were that Dougie and Kamara were the best CM pairing in the league until then. Agreed, things dropped off - that’s why we finished 20+ points off the top - but if anything that shows why we WILL miss him. Also, not to pick on you as many are saying it, “he was poor after Kamara’s injury.” Well yes, because he had to play a different position. In his actual position he was great, then less good covering someone else’s. That just means we need an alternative DM so he doesn’t have to play there.

But still - I trust the club, and players move, but if he goes, it means one of the most important things about our team (that CM partnership) will be gone/out injured for months - and that’s a shame. Put another way - without him (them) we are far more likely to be 7th than 4th, and I bet the same people saying we won’t miss him will be the most surprised. But obviously the caveat to that is who we bring in to replace him!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No Villa fan wants him to leave. He's a very good player. Strongly suspect he wouldn't sign a contract, so he has to be sold. That's that.

My guess is it all comes down to this paragraph.

• Thanks 1

We are losing one of our most important players and a first team player. 

And gaining two squad players plus 15-20 mill. 

Pretty hard to have any enthusiasm for this transfer and i also question next seasons champions league push. 

Youri and Barkley being his direct replacement is also a clear downgrade. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KAZZAM said:

Pretty hard to have any enthusiasm for this transfer and i also question next seasons champions league push. 

But it's only the 13th of June. Plenty of time for Emery and Monchi to finalise a competitive squad for the PL and Champions League.

There's too much noise around the Gallagher deal for it not to be something that we're trying to do, and if Gallagher doesn't come here we'll move on to another target.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I was absolutely devastated as a 14 year old when David Platt left us in 1991.

At 21, I was pretty gutted when Dwight Yorke left us in 1998.

The selling of Gareth Barry in 2009,  James Milner (2010) and Fabian Delph & Christian Benteke (2015) were all disappointing, but inevitable.

43 years old (FFS) and I was back to being devastated again in 2021 when "one of our own" Jack Grealish departed. 

But it was at this point, and to now, where it doesn't bother me now one bit. Players come, players go. Aston Villa FC will always remain. 

Douglas Luiz is a cracking player, it's a shame if he/when he leaves, but, I trust the owners / Emery to have a plan in place, and I trust their judgement more than anyone right now.

Of course, I would like hime to stay, and FFP / PSR is a joke right for sure, but I think Luiz for all his positive attributes, and there are quite a few, he did at times go missing when the going got tough.

If we can get the likes of Rogers / Buendia / Ramsey all fit and firing, with some other additions then I don't think he will be missed that much.

Bagsy on pens... 😛

Top post. If it's a sacrifice we have to make, and it somehow gives more game time to the likes of the clearly brilliant Rogers, the underestimated Buendia, and the guaranteed first XI Ramsey, then completely agree. Agree especially with the trajectory of devastation / disappointment. Selling Douglas Luiz sits in the disappointment camp for me.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Youri Tielemans at his best is in no way a downgrade, as any sensible person knows.

• Like 3

While I will be disappointed to see Luiz leave if the rumours are true, I have had the opinion for some time that he can drift in and out of games.

Theres been many comments on this site how Emery can ride Luiz during a game, I see this as Emery keeping Luiz focussed. Yes he is a brilliant player, but he’s not always at it every game. This may be in Emery’s thinking and why he’s happy to sacrifice Luiz.

I do believe the rumoured £60-65m is undervaluing Luiz, but there’s not been a rush from other teams wanting to buy Luiz, as yet. It will be interesting to know whether these potential signings from Juventus are targeted or a compromise.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

One of the main reasons we got CL - and were challenging the top of the table in December - were that Dougie and Kamara were the best CM pairing in the league until then. Agreed, things dropped off - that’s why we finished 20+ points off the top - but if anything that shows why we WILL miss him. Also, not to pick on you as many are saying it, “he was poor after Kamara’s injury.” Well yes, because he had to play a different position. In his actual position he was great, then less good covering someone else’s. That just means we need an alternative DM so he doesn’t have to play there.

But still - I trust the club, and players move, but if he goes, it means one of the most important things about our team (that CM partnership) will be gone/out injured for months - and that’s a shame. Put another way - without him (them) we are far more likely to be 7th than 4th, and I bet the same people saying we won’t miss him will be the most surprised. But obviously the caveat to that is who we bring in to replace him!

I was more just responding to the point Merson made that "he turns up week in week out". He just doesn't. Good player and improved massively under Emery but replaceable.

28 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Yet, being aware of all information and circumstances combined, including Luiz's contract situation, the PSR issue and the footballing potential of possible incoming player(s), vastly experienced football people such as Emery and Monchi, may decide it is the correct decision for our football club.

1 hour ago, KAZZAM said:

How is Tielemans a downgrade when he outperformed Luiz in the latter half of the season?

Anyone got a stat map comparison of Luiz and Tielemans showing their defensive and offensive contributions?

I'd imagine they aren't miles apart over last season per 90 minutes. 

He's a slightly different player to Luiz, but ultimately the most similar we've got. Maybe we bought Dougie's replacement last window.

Then we'll look to improve elsewhere in midfield this window, and sign a prospect to replace Youri in due course. 

Â