Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Just now, PieFacE said:

But his value would also decrease so it makes more sense from a financial pov to sell now. 

Sure but that argument only works if we’re getting a huge fee for him now which we aren’t. He’s going for roughly the same price Chelsea are asking for Gallagher (who only has 1 year left on his deal).

Just now, Leeroy said:

Sure but that argument only works if we’re getting a huge fee for him now which we aren’t. He’s going for roughly the same price Chelsea are asking for Gallagher (who only has 1 year left on his deal).

True. 

But it remains to be seen if Chelsea will get that money for Gallagher. We may have asked for more for Dougie initially. Ultimately, it seems pretty obvious this sale is being driven by PSR concerns so that naturally weakens our position in relation to negotiations. 

11 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I wonder what Sir Ian is unhappy about? Doug, the PSR transfer or the deal? 

Probably because we have to sell him because of PSR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Interesting timing for The Guardian to put that out today, weird...

Unless Doug was trying to send a signal through the press that he didn't want to go, given that some sources were saying that he did. Personally, I never thought that he did.

For those of us who believe in the Kamara-Doug double pivot, it was good to hear from him that he sees it, too.

Love the guy but if a new deal is not possible,  it's better for us and him that he leaves this window, the place can get very toxic very fast when a player decides to run his contract down. If people remember how toxic it got with Carney and was just an academy prospect. If Doug's form dropped at all people would start to really turn on him

• Like 1

I think we all just need to stop and take a breath. This isn’t us selling Barry and Milner to Man City when they were trying to overtake us, or selling Southgate to Boro when they were behind us.

This is Juventus, one of the biggest and most successful clubs in the world. It’s plausible that Luiz wants to stay, but also more likely that he wants to move to Juve for the chance of winning the Italian league and maybe even Champions League. Juve are a “bigger” club than us, and he will have a better chance of winning more trophies in the short term and maybe in the long term. He might feel that way anyway.

And if that is the case, and I don’t think we should make him stay if his head has been turned as he will just run his contract down, so all the club can do is get the best deal possible - whether that is cash and/or players. 

I would like him to stay, but his departure will not be the end of Aston Villa, and not even then of this iteration of Aston Villa.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

You can't read that interview and tell me Dougie is pushing for a move behind the scenes

Did you also think this when you read Jack's interviews?

( I'm not saying he has by the way, I'm just saying you can't take these at more than face value alot of the time )

There's probably just been a reluctant but mutual understanding of what may be best for all parties.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Normally, a player like this leaving us would be absolutely gut wrenching.  Like in the past losing Grealish, Benteke, Young or Milner, losing them felt like a kick in the stones.

But, I don't feel this way with Luiz.  And the reason for the is Emery.

Emery knows what he’s doing. People are free to be sceptical. But he’s an elite manager and I trust his vision 100% when it comes to transfers. We will recover from any loss with a better overall squad in the long run with him at the helm. 

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Normally, a player like this leaving us would be absolutely gut wrenching.  Like in the past losing Grealish, Benteke, Young or Milner, losing them felt like a kick in the stones.

But, I don't feel this way with Luiz.  And the reason for the is Emery.

Yes. The system doesn't rely on the ability of one player like it did when every attack went through grealish or benteke. It is about the sum of the interchangeable parts, so if one player goes there are others who can slot into their position without it negatively affecting performances. So I'm confident that Luiz going will not be a problem next season.

" Former coach of Douglas Luiz at Vasco has confirmed that the Aston Villa midfielder has signed a 4 year deal with Juventus. More details pending.. "

Just lifted this from FB.. no idea if true.

Actually, where is everyone on this this transfer? Particularly on the 3 components to this, Doug, PSR and the deal

im not overly fussed if Doug wants to leave. He’s served us well and I’m not one to stop him wanting a new challenge. 

the PSR issues, it’s annoying and frustrating that rules need to be broken to get in with the big boys. But the club agreed with them and probably voted for them initially. so it’s hard to fully complain, when many other clubs put up and comply 

the deal reeks bad to me. Until we get a better idea of the numbers I can’t confirm if we got an undervalued deal for Doug or an over valued deal of their players. But it seems like a mix of both, what’s worse.

as of the players coming in, McKennie really needs to impress to win me over, but I’ll give him a chance. Iling-Junior does seem like a great prospect, just a bit iffy to how we position and use him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Actually, where is everyone on this this transfer? Particularly on the 3 components to this, Doug, PSR and the deal

im not overly fussed if Doug wants to leave. He’s served us well and I’m not one to stop him wanting a new challenge. 

the PSR issues, it’s annoying and frustrating that rules need to be broken to get in with the big boys. But the club agreed with them and probably voted for them initially. so it’s hard to fully complain, when many other clubs put up and comply 

the deal reeks bad to me. Until we get a better idea of the numbers I can’t confirm if we got an undervalued deal for Doug or an over valued deal of their players. But it seems like a mix of both, what’s worse.

as of the players coming in, McKennie really needs to impress to win me over, but I’ll give him a chance. Iling-Junior does seem like a great prospect, just a bit iffy to how we position and use him. 

The PSR element is the worst bit, and related to that the specifics of the deal. Losing a player is one thing but feeling you've been fleeced for them is another.

Book value is one thing but honestly is anyone excited about the players involved in the deal? The only silver lining is we won't be strengthening a Premier League rival.

do we think Doug is a partial PSR sacrifice, because losing Duran and Cash also seems overkill, unless that was always planned.

Is the assumption that then in July we can make more signings as the accounts are closed and we can enact the plan we want to, within reason?

Our squad is pretty thin in terms of depth, even with injuries retuning

6 minutes ago, rjenkins said:

The PSR element is the worst bit, and related to that the specifics of the deal. Losing a player is one thing but feeling you've been fleeced for them is another.

Book value is one thing but honestly is anyone excited about the players involved in the deal? The only silver lining is we won't be strengthening a Premier League rival.

I'm excited about Iling Junior at least.  I think Unai could mould him into something special pretty quickly.  If we were buying him regardless of the Doug deal I'm sure most of us would be positive about it.  McKennie I'm not that fussed about but the amount of negativity about him I've found ridiculous.  It really all hinges on any top first team players we get in with the freedom of not worrying about PSR any more.

I'm just happy I never have to watch another game with Mcginn and Luiz in the middle together. Complete rubbish paring since the first season promoted to the last games of the season just gone.
Luiz only ever been good when Karmara been holding his hand. 

Edited by Pongo Waring

15 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Hard to give a real answer to be honest. It’s like asking for my thoughts after a bitter defeat which are unlikely to be rational. Love Dougie, gutted he’s going to be honest.

• Like 1

Badass attitude there in that post above. (EDIT on the previous page and not even the last one before this one) 

Edited by Rolta

Â