Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

8 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Success does earn you wiggle room. Chelsea have won 6 premier leagues and two champions leagues the past 20 years, along with numerous fa and league cups. Hence why they have wiggle room.

They cook the figures by selling hotels.

• Like 1

Just now, tinker said:

The money for Duran will cover our short fall, £42m fee agreed with Chelsea,  should be a quick transfer.

I certainly hope Duran leaves quickly. Dougie to Juve looks 99% done though.

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I certainly hope Duran leaves quickly. Dougie to Juve looks 99% done though.

Can't see how, 3 contracts to sort out and Dougs away on international duty. Plenty of time left to sort that deal out and tbh I don't think Juventus will happen,  they ain't got the money , their players are in their final year of their contracts which means their wages demands will be high, very high. I think it's a smoke screen to flush others out, hence the Barca links.

Duran deal goes through quickly - Dougie signs new deal - Everyone is happy.

Except Juve, but if they had pulled their finger out they might have got it done quicker.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Can't see how, 3 contracts to sort out and Dougs away on international duty. Plenty of time left to sort that deal out and tbh I don't think Juventus will happen,  they ain't got the money , their players are in their final year of their contracts which means their wages demands will be high, very high. I think it's a smoke screen to flush others out, hence the Barca links.

Fair enough, agree to disagree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Free transfers get high wages, never heard of that for players in their last year.

1 minute ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Free transfers get high wages, never heard of that for players in their last year.

The players run their contracts down so their transfer value is less but their wages demands are higher. The buying club get a cheap player but their on higher wages.

If Dougie does go ill be upset, if he takes Alisha with him from the villa, there'll be riots, we may have to say good by to dougies sweet derriere, but I for one do not want to say goodbye to alishas 

1 minute ago, Kbdrum88 said:

If Dougie does go ill be upset, if he takes Alisha with him from the villa, there'll be riots, we may have to say good by to dougies sweet derriere, but I for one do not want to say goodbye to alishas 

Like tonsillitis or something?

It had to be someone and for all his talent he does have spells of ill-discipline and poor form like anyone else. If Emery can help make a spotty kid from Middlesbrough look special in a matter of weeks then I'm sure we'll do fine with McKennie and Iling-Junior. In any other situation we'd tell Juventus and anyone else to sit and swivel but we're out of options really, and it's a sale that does make sense on a few levels. Ramsey's value has been diminished by his injury-ridden season and I can't see the likes of Cash, Coutinho, etc bringing anywhere near enough the kind of £ needed to balance the books (let alone giving us some balance to actually spend).

As I'm sure others have said; we urgently need income and we need bodies and this sale would check both boxes. It is a pity though, Douglas was one of the first through the door of this new era and we've been lucky to see him blossom from a naive, unpredictable, flamboyant boy who couldn't speak the language into the stylish, accomplished midfielder that he is today.

Edited by AV82

2 hours ago, Awol said:

It’s not about cold hard cash. The value of the players involved in the exchange also gets booked against PSR, so £60m approx in total. Not what most of us value him at, but still a lot of money and a price that works for Aston Villa. 

2 days now and people still are not getting this are they?  

If people (not the poster above!) think Emery signed a five year deal on the basis of flogging off players he wants to keep you are very wrong.  If he is selling, it’s because strategically he has a view on what next years side will look like, plus the player swap adds depth to the squad without lining Man City’s pockets due to the sell on clause.

As Emery said, we are going to have to be clever with our deals, that’s what is happening 

• Like 4

Maybe Unai doesn’t rate Dougie as highly as some of the fan base. A great, but not essential quality and now is time to bring in players he wants to work with in a different way. Maybe Dougie wants to leave. There are many possibilities. Nobody leaves or arrives without his blessing. And nobody is in a better position to judge that than Unai. Maybe just wait and see if the deal actually transpires first and what the actual terms are. 

• Like 1

It probably won’t happen, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we suddenly saw a ‘Douglas Luiz agrees new 5yr deal’ post pop up on Twitter randomly by the club.

Sesko stylie.

Be a nice surprise. 

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It probably won’t happen, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we suddenly saw a ‘Douglas Luiz agrees new 5yr deal’ post pop up on Twitter randomly by the club.

Sesko stylie.

Be a nice surprise. 

I don’t think we should rule out this possibility right now since nothing has been signed 

Posted (edited)

Big Dougie fan, but if he goes then I wish him the best and thank him for his years at Villa.

Jack taught me not to get attached to players, that situation also taught me things can be greener in the next pasture. 

If Dougie is indeed on his way, then I trust that Monchi and Unai have their finger on the pulse. Unai hasn't got us into the CL for us to piss about.

Unlike most of the last decade, I trust the people in charge and the outcomes they look for.

Luiz being sold is not fantastic, but it is not anywhere near the drama it is being made out to be.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 4

Long interview in the Guardian 

“What he did was simple. He organised my game well with Boubacar Kamara. Kamara’s arrival helped me a lot. He’s a young player I’ve always got on well with, who has always understood my game style. With his arrival, I’ve had more freedom,” explained the midfielder.

“Today I see myself more as a second midfielder than a first. The freedom that Unai has given me with Kamara has made my job a lot easier. You can clearly see that. A good example is Kamara’s injury. After that I had to play further back and I didn’t take part in the attack as much, I didn’t score as many goals as before because I had to help more in a defensive way.”

On Unai 

“Unai is a little bit crazy,” he laughs. “I say it because of his sense of intensity. He’s very passionate about what he does. Very intense in his work and in the things he wants. Sometimes it’s quite funny. In that last game against Liverpool, he celebrated Jhon Durán’s goal, he got emotional, said a lot of things and then in the dressing room he looked like a completely different person.

“It’s great to work with him and be part of this moment we’re living. But what I like most about him is that he always tries to understand the athlete’s personal side, the human being. He always calls us to talk in person. I see a lot of clarity in that conversation”

On the Premier League 

“It’s the best league in the world. Everyone wants to play here and feel the atmosphere on the pitch. The history of the Premier League is very big. We, Brazilians, are smart enough to know that the Premier League is the best league in the world and everyone wants to feel that emotion, to play for a big club. That’s really cool.”

The second difference is the more professional behaviour of the players themselves, as Douglas Luiz explains.

“I can’t say that my generation is smarter or understands more than others. But the time teaches. We have lots of good and bad examples to analyse and not make the same mistakes. In the past, Brazilians were considered lazy, who didn’t want to run, who didn’t want to mark the opponents. But that has certainly changed. Today, we have a generation that isn’t silly. It’s a smart generation. We’ve seen the mistakes of the past and today we’ve managed to change the way many countries and people looked at us.

“In the Premier League, you have to focus 100% on football. You can’t think about anything else. It’s a league that demands a lot from you daily, in training and matches. That’s the only way to succeed. That’s the secret to success here.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/12/douglas-luiz-unai-emery-aston-villa-brazil-football?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 1

Just now, Powehi said:

Would be so weird for him to give that interview then bugger off. Just something isn't right here with this deal.

I will say that it’s quite common for PR type interviews to take place a few weeks or days prior with a publication embargo. I’m guessing it’s the same with player interviews. But again, nothing in Dougie’s words sound like a player who is wanting to leave or has issues with Unai. 

• Like 2

Â