Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Can you post that as I haven’t seen that. I saw the two players they are including valued at €40m and then €20m in cash. 

Even if £55m is right it’s still about £20m less than his value to us IMO. Transfermarket often undervalues or overvalues players.

Romano quoted the values in his last podcast on YouTube.

You might value him at £75m but I'm certain clubs are more likely to use Transfermrks valuations than yours when they working on deals.

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Can you post that as I haven’t seen that. I saw the two players they are including valued at €40m and then €20m in cash. 

Even if £55m is right it’s still about £20m less than his value to us IMO. Transfermarket often undervalues or overvalues players.

Or you could have claret and blue tinted glasses on and could be overvaluing a villa player?

In addition I think alot of people are of the belief that with PSR etc that the market for players won't hit the same values as previous transfer windows

18 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

The two players we are bringing in are working towards our PSR targets.

Do you really think, if selling just Cash and Duran dealt with out financial issues, we would be selling Luiz also? There is no way we would choose to do this unless our hand was forced.

It has presumably been forced upon them to sell an important player (I’m guessing so they can buy players) but I’d have sacrificed several other regular first team players before Dougie as I think he’s as important to our spine as Watkins and Martinez. If I did sell him it would for an astronomical fee.

Time will tell if this was a shrewd move or not. If it means we significantly strengthen the team as a whole it could turn out to be a blessing, but no one knows yet. 

As for how much he's worth, that's also related to his contract, if it had three or four more years left to run then he would probably be valued at around seventy or eighty million, but because he only has two years left then that's why he's valued instead closer to fifty or sixty million.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

It has presumably been forced upon them to sell an important player (I’m guessing so they can buy players) but I’d have sacrificed several other regular first team players before Dougie as I think he’s as important to our spine as Watkins and Martinez. If I did sell him it would for an astronomical fee.

Time will tell if this was a shrewd move or not. If it means we significantly strengthen the team as a whole it could turn out to be a blessing, but no one knows yet. 

Which other first team players would you have sacrificed that would bring in the same finances? (It is also a fair assumption that Villa, too, would prefer this, but there is not demand for the other first team players who they would rather sell over Dougie).

From a personal perspective and him wanting to try new leagues and culture potentially, you can't begrudge him the move. He's a Brazil international who has done five full years in Birmingham for Villa. And been a major part in us transitioning from near the bottom to near the top of the league. 

Very few players with no link to the place they play will do a decade at that club. Particularly moving forward.

• Like 1

Just now, Leeroy said:

Leroy, my man, I think this is a glimmer of hope. 

So you are saying, it could end up being a good thing. Do you trust Monchi and Unai to strengthen the team, to fit their vision?

Luiz is a great player, but was a player Unai was given not chose. The hope is that with this sale of a great player who may not quite fit the vision, Unai can continue to build his team. 

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

Which other first team players would you have sacrificed that would bring in the same finances? (It is also a fair assumption that Villa, too, would prefer this, but there is not demand for the other first team players who they would rather sell over Dougie).

Put it this way I’d rather sell Ramsey, McGinn or Konsa before selling Doug. I think they’re easier to replace with the money we’d get. Not that I’d want to lose them but it wouldn’t be as big a blow as losing one of the best midfielders in the premier league for the first half of last season. That Luiz-Kamara double pivot was dynamite and probably the strongest part of our team and now it’s gone. 

2 minutes ago, zak said:

Leroy, my man, I think this is a glimmer of hope. 

So you are saying, it could end up being a good thing. Do you trust Monchi and Unai to strengthen the team, to fit their vision?

Luiz is a great player, but was a player Unai was given not chose. The hope is that with this sale of a great player who may not quite fit the vision, Unai can continue to build his team. 

I hope you’re right man I do. It’s just painful at the moment. Luiz was my favourite player.

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Put it this way I’d rather sell Ramsey, McGinn or Konsa before selling Doug. I think they’re easier to replace with the money we’d get. Not that I’d want to lose them but it wouldn’t be as big a blow as losing one of the best midfielders in the premier league for the first half of last season. That Luiz-Kamara double pivot was dynamite and probably the strongest part of our team and now it’s gone. 

Disagree with the three players being sold. Which evidences the difficulties Monchi et al are facing! Just have to trust the process I guess. 

(One thing we can agree on I guess is that having to sell any of them sucks massive balls).

• Like 1

I think the article is saying his agent contacted Barca to see if they were interested but Barca aren't willing to act in the transfer market for several weeks--thus making it a non-starter.

He's going to Juventus.

Is that €70mill of Monopoly money cos' I don't see how they've got that otherwise.

Read an article and they are shafted, can't register players etc... No way they splurge that on one player. 

9 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We finished higher than Chelsea two years in a row and qualified for Europe two years in a row. They have spent a fortune compared to us.

Its a joke that we have less wriggle room than a club like that. Success should earn you wriggle room imho.

Success does earn you wiggle room. Chelsea have won 6 premier leagues and two champions leagues the past 20 years, along with numerous fa and league cups. Hence why they have wiggle room.

31 minutes ago, useless said:

I suspect selling Luiz isn't just about PSR, as it happens it helps with that, but also it will be about him not signing a new contract, of course we don't know that he won't sign a new contract for sure, but it seems pretty obvious, as he only has two years left on his current deal, so I think we can take it as a given almost, that there would have been an offer on the table but for whatever reason he has decided not to sign, so makes a degree of sense for us to sell before his current deal runs down and he loses even more value. If we were getting decent fees for Cash and Duran, and Luiz was happy to stay and sign a new deal, then I don't think we would be selling him

I’m way out of the loop regarding this transfer saga so I’m not sure if this has been said before: seems right on the money. 

7 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I think the article is saying his agent contacted Barca to see if they were interested but Barca aren't willing to act in the transfer market for several weeks--thus making it a non-starter.

He's going to Juventus.

The money for Duran will cover our short fall, £42m fee agreed with Chelsea,  should be a quick transfer.

• Like 1

Â