Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

12 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Honestly, I've spent a few mins reading some of the threads at the top of the page and it's like we are the team that just got relegated to League 1 under clown owners. 

Players come and go, they always do. But we have brilliant owners, a brilliant manager, Champions League football to enjoy. 

It's going to be a long summer for all those losing their shit over this and any other player leaving the club. I trust Emery, I trust our board and I can't wait until the new season kicks off. 

Exactly this!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Steven Gerrard. 

He didn't hire himself, hence the OP saying it's our fault....

Purslow overall I think was decent in his role for us until he signed his slippery mate. 

But without Gerrard there probably would be no Emery...

22 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Will be sad to see him go, he’s been just what we needed on many occasions and often incredibly entertaining. Better he’s not in premier league but chance we'll be up against him in CL which will be weird 

• Like 1

Will be very disappointed one of our key players goes when we get champs league.

Very concerned that we will need to elevate our squad significantly to compete and feels a bit like a step in the wrong direction.

• Like 2

Going to be sad to see Luiz go, it sounds like it's a deal that's been done to balance the PSR/FFP complexities which is a real shame.

Luiz has been one of the leading players for Villa since our return to the Premier League and has been instrumental in getting us to where we are right now. He's often been played out of position in the defensive midfield role due to injuries or due to the fact we haven't had the right players; and his form at times has suffered from that. The early season form he had when partnered with Kamara shouldn't be forgotten and he scored some huge goals that helped us in games.

There's no doubt about it if we could have kept him we would have done, it's not often you willingly let a Brazilian international leave your football club.

• Like 4

I’m not going to lose perspective over this deal, yes on paper it’s not ideal for sure…I would rather Emery go for GLC rather than Mckennie…but on the other hand we have had players who have been far more pivotal to us move on before and not just bounced back, but improved…as mentioned upthread, it sucks that we have to do a deal like this, but I would rather Luiz leaves as opposed to martinez, Ollie etc

Edited by Villatillidie95

The post Dougie's mate tweeted (x'd?) earlier, does imply that he's got an offer from us and making a choice about whether to move at the moment or stay with us.

Presumably then, we are comfortable selling him if he won't accept it, and comfortable keeping him if he does accept it. Doesn't sound totally FFP forced. Maybe Duran is a backup option if Doug isn't sold and we do need to meet FFP limits.

Bizarre that Chelsea can afford to buy him,  if they don't sell Gallagher though. Not even sure how they can if they do. They've got an amortisation bill that's twice anyone else's in the league. 

We finished higher than Chelsea two years in a row and qualified for Europe two years in a row. They have spent a fortune compared to us.

Its a joke that we have less wriggle room than a club like that. Success should earn you wriggle room imho.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The post Dougie's mate tweeted (x'd?) earlier, does imply that he's got an offer from us and making a choice about whether to move at the moment or stay with us.

Presumably then, we are comfortable selling him if he won't accept it, and comfortable keeping him if he does accept it. Doesn't sound totally FFP forced. Maybe Duran is a backup option if Doug isn't sold and we do need to meet FFP limits.

Bizarre that Chelsea can afford to buy him,  if they don't sell Gallagher though. Not even sure how they can if they do. They've got an amortisation bill that's twice anyone else's in the league. 

15 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We finished higher than Chelsea two years in a row and qualified for Europe two years in a row. They have spent a fortune compared to us.

Its a joke that we have less wriggle room than a club like that. Success should earn you wriggle room imho.

I forgot that they'd sold the hotel to themselves for about £100m. Of course they can buy him. 

58 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Football is becoming a game for the accountants.

And lawyers.

Like every other big business in 2024.

Real shame. There was an opportunity there for the Prem to reverse all this by 1) holding City to account sooner, and 2) making meaningful changes to PSR that would actually work and make the league more sustainable and competitive.

Alas they're going to bend over and get **** by the long arm of Abu Dhabi while **** up FFP even more.

**** morons running the game now. Suits - businessmen, and as you say accountants, and as I said lawyers.

Game's proper gone innit.

• Like 1

Weren't we in the relegation zone waiting for moments of magic around 2 years ago?

Dougie leaving is not the end of the world that some are claiming. Its great business that we unfortunately have to do due to the current PSR rules. Remember when two of our starting 11 blew out their knees in the first week of the season? Starting holding midfielder did the same? Ramsey repeatedly struggling with injuries? We finished 4th. We are champions league.

This is a squad game and Emery has shown time and time again what he can do by building a squad with many less desirable players. With Dougie going it gives us room to manoeuvre and I for one am excited to see how we approach things and how Emery sets us up to do one over the big 6 at Villa Park once again.

All the best to Dougie on his Italian adventure. He deserves it.

It's sad that we won't have Douglas for the Champions League campaign. Or any other campaign.

He helped elevate us with his silky skills and steady bearing. 

I hope he takes Serie A by storm.

Dougie is gonna absolutely boss Serie A, his only real flaw is a lack of physical presence and I don't see that bogging him down at all. His playstyle rather suits that league. And as said before, I'd much rather watch him be a magician at Juve than any of the Sky 6.

Â