Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well I suppose there's a scenario where we would if we simply had to make a deal this month and we genuinely thought there'd be no other options. However, there's no particular evidence to think that's the case so I agree, we should treat it as if Emery wanted these two players, and as many people have said before, he's earned the right to be given the space to try to fit these two players - who fans should support - into his plans. 

Juventus aren’t the only side in World football, nor would they be the only side interested in Luiz.

If we didn’t want McKennie/Iling Jr, we wouldn’t have them included. It would be better just to sell Luiz for “less” or go elsewhere. 

Good player but always went missing in pressure games, had a massive nose dive in form and gave away absolutely ridiculous fouls at times. 

Really glad we had him but I'm ready for an upgrade now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I’m gutted.

I don’t think I will ever create a more successful thread.

My crowning achievement on VillaTalk has now peaked and passed 😢

Just think someone once started a Jordan Bowery one.

You can rest easy bro.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Oh I love that song.  😢

A youtube clip of Dougie & his best bits with The last goodbye as the music 😭

24 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

It's a terrible deal and makes no sense at all.

We are losing our only available proper CM and replacing him with a player who will hopefully never get in the 11 and left sided midfielder when we already have Ramsey, Buendia, Rogers there. 

Good chance we see rogers play down the middle next season imo. Buendia also can play a central so i do think there is a spot out left available with zaniolo not returning 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Good chance we see rogers play down the middle next season imo. Buendia also can play a central so i do think there is a spot out left available with zaniolo not returning 

Think we’ll see a Gallagher or Baena signing come post July 1 now. Just a waiting game for the next 3 weeks 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The deal will work like this. 

Juventus buy Luiz for €70m 

Aston Villa buy Weston McKennie for €30m on 5 year contract

Aston Villa buy Illing Junior for €20m on 5 year contract

In terms of our accounts (excluding salaries) this is a ~€65 profit on Luiz and then 6 + 4 = 10m per year cost in amortisation from new players.

So total PSR account benefit over a single account year = €55m

Even if it's just for accounting gymnastics, on paper that is horrific.

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The deal will work like this. 

Juventus buy Luiz for €70m 

Aston Villa buy Weston McKennie for €30m on 5 year contract

Aston Villa buy Illing Junior for €20m on 5 year contract

In terms of our accounts (excluding salaries) this is a ~€65 profit on Luiz and then 6 + 4 = 10m per year cost in amortisation from new players.

So total PSR account benefit over a single account year = €55m

Thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense, and gives us a lot more room to be active in the rest of the transfer window.

• Like 1

Lose a good player but let's see what the squad looks like at the end of the window. We need more bodies to cope. 

I think people are also ignoring how well McKennie played last season. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Juventus aren’t the only side in World football, nor would they be the only side interested in Luiz.

If we didn’t want McKennie/Iling Jr, we wouldn’t have them included. It would be better just to sell Luiz for “less” or go elsewhere. 

Think it's also interesting that in the Iling Jr thread, someone has posted a Guardian article from January that lists us as a possible destination in that window, so entirely possible our interest has been known in the background for some time, for him at least. Weirdly nobody seems to have noticed or acknowledged that detail though!

• Thanks 1

Would be absolutely delighted if he moves on. Was very good early in the season but his form fell off a cliff. Possibly the most overrated player I can remember at Villa. When the going gets remotely tough he is nowhere to be found. Think he will be more suited by a different team/league. Fwiw think he would have been great at Arsenal. Trust Emery and his team. People forget how little of this squad are their players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, d821mc said:

Would be absolutely delighted if he moves on. Was very good early in the season but his form fell off a cliff. Possibly the most overrated player I can remember at Villa. When the going gets remotely tough he is nowhere to be found. Think he will be more suited by a different team/league. Fwiw think he would have been great at Arsenal. Trust Emery and his team. People forget how little of this squad are their players. 

What a shit post. You an Arsenal fan. 10 goals 10 assists more than anyone else in our midfield and yet he's not suited to the team or the league. GTFOH. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

I know it's a squad and they will rotate and we will have injuries etc but our weakest position is CM because it has no cover. 2 wide spots and the support striker to be covered by Ramsey, Diaby, Bailey, McGinn, Tielemans, Rogers, Ramsey +  Iling-Junior if he signs.

Our CM is now Kamara (injured) and McKennie. McGinn and Tielemans can cover there but they are much better further forward, especially McGinn.

5 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Even if it's just for accounting gymnastics, on paper that is horrific.

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Yeah, it's **** awful.

Which bit?

The selling Luiz for E70m?

or buying McKennie for E30m?

or buying Illing for E20m?

Â